Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: kill switches removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
slim72914
After chasing numerous no start problems I have decided to attempt to remove a 70s/80s kill switch alarm system from my 72 914.... already removed about 12 feet of wire (thats around 4 meters give or take) from the fried switch under the seat. and criss crossing the engine bay... now it cranks! but no fuel and the horn goes off when the key is in start position.
So the thing I am on to now is the fuel pump. right now one wire goes directly to the negative bat terminal and the other goes to one side of the coil. Should this work? Should the fuel pump see 12v at all times when the key is in the run position??? I am also in need of a diagram for the fuel lines. mine are all unhooked and hanging down under the car where they come out of the pump. any help?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(slim72914 @ Aug 6 2007, 11:59 PM) *

After chasing numerous no start problems I have decided to attempt to remove a 70s/80s kill switch alarm system from my 72 914.... already removed about 12 feet of wire (thats around 4 meters give or take) from the fried switch under the seat. and criss crossing the engine bay... now it cranks! but no fuel and the horn goes off when the key is in start position.
So the thing I am on to now is the fuel pump. right now one wire goes directly to the negative bat terminal and the other goes to one side of the coil. Should this work? Should the fuel pump see 12v at all times when the key is in the run position??? I am also in need of a diagram for the fuel lines. mine are all unhooked and hanging down under the car where they come out of the pump. any help?

If your car is carburated, then the fuel pump is key switched, just like the six cylinder models. If fuel injected then it is timed through the control unit.
swl
The coil trick is a common work around when people couldn't troubleshoot a problem on the relay board. I seem to remember that you have FI so it you want to make the effort to restore the old cct it would be time well spent. The concept of the ECU controlling the pump is so that it would turn off in case of an accident. The pump won't work if the engine is not turning. Good safety feature.

There are good diagrams of the fuel delivery system over on the Pelican Parts board. This one should help. http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/technical_...4_20FI_diag.htm
slim72914
QUOTE(swl @ Aug 7 2007, 02:14 PM) *

The coil trick is a common work around when people couldn't troubleshoot a problem on the relay board. I seem to remember that you have FI so it you want to make the effort to restore the old cct it would be time well spent. The concept of the ECU controlling the pump is so that it would turn off in case of an accident. The pump won't work if the engine is not turning. Good safety feature.

There are good diagrams of the fuel delivery system over on the Pelican Parts board. This one should help. http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/technical_...4_20FI_diag.htm

Yes it is fuel injected and I would like to try to take it all back to original wiring as long as I am going to have FI anyway... thanks for the help guys! I'll post my results when I get back out there and work with it again.... Its still about 90deg here at 9pm so maybe about... september...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.