Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: QUICK! Will these exhausts work on a '76 2.0L
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
purple
Hey guys, will these work on a '76 2.0L?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...252836&rd=1

I'm trying to backdate my exhaust because the original is on there and the muffler flanges are changed to accept motorcycle mufflers, will be putting a bursch on the end.

Should I look for '73-74 ones, these appear to be 1.8L '72

Will this work?
purple
or would this serve me better?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=heat+exchanger

more money, but they are in MUCH better shape.
Spoke
1.7 and 1.8 pipes are interchangable. They will not work on 2.0L. The 1.7/1.8 pipes bend up at the muffler where the 2.0 are basically flat.

Spoke
purple
what if i use the appropriate muffler hanger and muffler?
rhodyguy
you need detailed picts on the ebay set. my guess is the casing( the portion that surrounds the pipes) maybe rusted at the rear. if you can swing it, the ss 1.7/1.8 are the way to go. a serviceable, correct, bursh for $50 is more than fair too.

also. if the rest of your heat system ducting is the 75-76' version you will need to source all of those items as well.

k
purple
I'll probably go with the stainless ones. I dont have ANY heating system at all in the car. No blowers, no piping off the HE's and not even the control panel on the dash. to see what my car is like, go here.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...ber+progressive

It's a straight racecar tongue.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(purple @ Aug 7 2007, 11:31 AM) *

I'll probably go with the stainless ones. I dont have ANY heating system at all in the car. No blowers, no piping off the HE's and not even the control panel on the dash. to see what my car is like, go here.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...ber+progressive

It's a straight racecar tongue.gif

Then don't use heat exchangers at all. You can get way more out of a set of headers.

Either heat exchangers will work with your 75/76 car. but you will need to change the actual exhaust to match whatever header or heat exchanger that you end up going with.

Zach
rhodyguy
agree.gif in that case don't waste your money on a set of heat exchangers. there is a set of headers in the classifieds.

k
purple
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 7 2007, 11:36 AM) *

agree.gif in that case don't waste your money on a set of heat exchangers. there is a set of headers in the classifieds.

k

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...&hl=headers

Are those the headers?

Do you have a link?
rhodyguy
those are 2.0 heat exhangers - the casing.

k
purple
I think for 50 bucks i'll be happy with those
I'd rather do those and a bursch than those 4-1 headers i see on there.

the CASOB in me is screaming "get the 2.0L HE's!!!!"

I'd like to see the improvement from dual motorcycle exhaust of stock 76 he's to what looks like 73 he's and a bursch. I've been told the exhaust on my 914 as it is is HORRIBLE since each bank has it's own pipe, not connected to the other.
Dave_Darling
Those are stock (2.0 apparently) heat exchangers with no heater bits on them. They'll work, but the 4->1 or 4-2-1 headers you can get will work better. The SSIs will be the best for heat, but you'll need all of the heater hardware to make them work.

Get a muffler and muffler hanger to match the exchangers, if you get them (even the ones without the heater "wrapping").

--DD
purple
Well those HE's are gone...so meh.

If i get those SSI's, would i NEED to put all the heater bits? Cant I just run those without connecting them to anything?

I have NO intention of EVER putting ventilation of any kind back into my 914. It's a stripper, and it's gonna stay that way

Purple
Rand
QUOTE(purple @ Aug 8 2007, 09:36 AM) *

Well those HE's are gone...so meh.

If i get those SSI's, would i NEED to put all the heater bits? Cant I just run those without connecting them to anything?

I have NO intention of EVER putting ventilation of any kind back into my 914. It's a stripper, and it's gonna stay that way

Purple

You don't HAVE to connect the heater bits. But if it's not already, you should close off the output of the fan shroud so all the air is forced through the engine cooling route instead of some of it escaping through the open hole that normally connects to the ducting.

I am in the exact same boat as you. I am anxious to get rid of my stock late-model exhaust, and I don't care about heat in my minimalist car. I want something simple that lets her breathe well. That means one thing: Don't pass Go... It's straight to headers!

But I also understand the CASOB perspective. My 914 budget is too small to just buy headers right now. Ultimately, I want a Tangerine setup. I may have to settle for a deal on some Eurorace or Triads. I'm even willing to find some dirt cheap HEs that someone wants to dump, cut off the heater tin, and modify them to work with my muffler.

But like I said, if you possibly can, try and get headers for your heatless "stripper."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.