Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Look what's behind the 'porsche' reflector
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
purple
Hey Guys,

The attached picture shows what I'm talking about, 6 GIANT holes for the reflector, which looks like trash (on my car anyway). because of all the cracking and bits missing.

Can you guys recommend a body shop in the Houston area? I'd like to get these holes fixed. Do you guys know how much it would cost?

I'd like to check with you guys before I let my fingers do the walking...

Thanks
Bogaat
I had mine all welded up and primered for 4 hours labor ($40 per). It looks so much better. I had the 6 big a$$ holes as well.
Steve Thacker
To save some cash , find someone who can weld them up and grind the welds smooth. This will save you some cash and the body guys can fix it quicker and easier. just my .02Ç worth
purple
The only guy i know that can weld & grind smooth lives in San antonio. So, no dice there.

I contacted a body shop in town, about 10 miles away, hopefully they respond to the picture email i sent.

$160 doesnt sound bad
thomasotten
QUOTE(purple @ Aug 7 2007, 12:45 PM) *

The only guy i know that can weld & grind smooth lives in San antonio. So, no dice there.

You must be talking about me. I'm in San Antonio and did the very thing...

Look, mine had an extra hole...

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

GWN7
Those are "speed holes"...makes the car go faster....Simpsons quote smile.gif
purple
you know, I've heard it said once upon a time 'you're not a real man unless you can weld'

I guess I'm not a real man, god I wish I had the equipment to weld, and the skills...but I dont want to pay for that.

Nice work Thomas
Spoke
It's not my place to tell you how to spend your money, but the cost to weld those 4 holes will put you well on your way to owning a welder. I finally bought one 2 years ago and so far I've welded:

o red 914 rusted out trunk floor section
o red 914 broken muffler hanger
o red 914 broken swaybar tab
o red 914 tons of seams from the rear end accident
o red 914 rusted inside rear trunk lid
o red 914 ripped muffler exhaust pipe support
o red 914 broken trunk spring stud
o red 914 ripped and rusted rear valence
o red 914 added bolts to muffler heat shield so I can unbolt the shield
o buddy's VW bus muffler rips
o buddy's BMW rusted muffler
o Green 914 pancaked rear fender ripped when pounded out.
o Green 914 rusted passenger rear suspension console
o Green 914 holes from rear reflector (6 holes)
o Green 914 antenna mast hole - nice and smooth now
o Green 914 front trunk weatherstrip channel rust holes

Still to go:

o Green 914 passenger front fender rust through
o Green 914 rocker panel rust (both sides)
o Green 914 ripped rear valence
o Green 914 add bolts to muffler heat shield so I can unbolt the shield
o Green 914 rips in metal under rear fender by the valence

I had no experience welding so I'm learning on the job and getting much better at it. I've gone from a being a terrible welder to a really bad welder and getting better on every weld.

Spoke
PanelBilly
I also think you should buy a welder and learn to do it yourself. Do a little internet study on the art or go to your local library and read a book on the subject. Your investment can be as little as $300 for a used unit with a tank. Get the guy who sells it to you give you a little lesson to show that the unit works. Home depot has a cheep unit that has a gas "add on kit" that will work fine for all the body work you'll ever do.

And after you fix those holes, maybe you can tack on some steel flairs!
purple
I'll get a welder when I get a house. Right now I've got my 914 in an apartment garage, and there is no 220V main in there.

And for the record, billy, I like the slim look of the original. I got away from the miata because of the hideous flares...i'm not going to add some more flares to a car i like just the way it is...minus the 'speed holes'
thomasotten
You don't need 220V. Mine is 120 and you can weld anything on a 914 with it. $375 with a tank of gas is all you will spend.
purple
Is it a mig welder thomas?

Chuck
Yep, you can pick up a Lincoln Weld Pack at Home Depot. 110V welder. Add a tank and you're set. I looked at doing that until my bro said I could borrow his.
degreeoff
QUOTE(purple @ Aug 7 2007, 03:11 PM) *

you know, I've heard it said once upon a time 'you're not a real man unless you can weld'

I guess I'm not a real man, god I wish I had the equipment to weld, and the skills...but I dont want to pay for that.

Nice work Thomas

Now you can rent a mig for 50 +(-) a day and learn on scrap metal (home depot) and say you are a man....its not that hard. I would go B-3 and just clean the holes around the edge to bare metal and fill it in...zap zap zap zap zap zap zap zap

But then again my mantra is...how hard can it be?
thomasotten
Every 914 should have come from the factory with a personal mig welder...
Chuck
QUOTE(thomasotten @ Aug 11 2007, 08:32 AM) *

Every 914 should have come from the factory with a personal mig welder...

av-943.gif Yep, they should have permanently grounded it to the passenger longitudinal.
JPB
Go to Lowes and get a 110 Volt flux core welder. If you are having a hard time welding with it, have a 914 weld party. beer.gif
michaelt55
purple..

two things..
I live in Katy...
I know a great body shop but they charge $$$$
If you want to try a flux welder, you can borrow mine...

Michael
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.