Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: suggestions needed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brer
I'm buying the paint to do the underbody at the engine, longs and rear trunk pan.

Semi flat black i'm leaning towards.

I'd love to do it lime green like the car but am afraid thats opening a bigger can of worms.

Buying single stage Eurethane something or another no matter what.

quick opinions before I start work?

army dude
I read somewhere of somebody doing a resto on their car and used...Futz. A sprayable undercoating with great wear properties and yada yada yada. Maybe do a search and it would come up. I was impressed with the ease and color but the person doing it wound up spraying satin black over it and I think he said it looked great. Hope this helps. My memory may be slipping about this stuff.

Ian
brer
thanks Ian.
smile.gif
Lou W
I used 3M Body Shutz, you can buy it at most automotive paint supply shops.
brer
dont you paint over that though?
Lou W
QUOTE(brer @ Aug 8 2007, 09:57 AM) *

dont you paint over that though?

They told me that you don't need too, but I did primer the body first. I bought the black color, IIRC, they had a primer color too. I shot clear over it to keep it looking good.
army dude
OK, I do very cheap drugs....after reading Lou W I realized it was his car I was refering to. Sorry for the slip there. Shutz, Futz ... Sorry for the wrong props Lou!!!

But his car is sweet!!

Ian
Lou W
QUOTE(army dude @ Aug 8 2007, 10:12 AM) *

OK, I do very cheap drugs....after reading Lou W I realized it was his car I was refering to. Sorry for the slip there. Shutz, Futz ... Sorry for the wrong props Lou!!!

But his car is sweet!!

Ian

biggrin.gif I could use some of those drugs too. smile.gif
woobn8r
I used Wurth "gravel guard" on my '72 911...it is available in bulk (for shops) or rattle can (for DIY)...it can be painted but, you don't have to.

I think it is also called "schutz"....probably a generic german term for that kind of material....

I used "tremco rust paint" over top as it becomes easier to clean.
VaccaRabite
I used Eastwood's Chassy Black epoxy paint for my undersides. 5 spray cans gave me 2 coats over the entire underbody.

Zach
Cjllong
Have you ever heard of Durabak? They have a textured and a non textured material. It's a paint on. I did it to the interior and the underside of my jeep. Looks good, stays bright, and power washes easy. I found it cheepest on 4wd.com. It's about $100.00 a gallon and that should be plenty for the underside of a 914.

Chris
McMark
Tinted 3M Schutz
Click to view attachment

Painted body color.
Click to view attachment
McMark
Schutz texture detail. You can also mask off sections. Notice: no texture on the vents themselves.
brer
did you shutz the entire underbody?
like, everywhere?
Lou W
QUOTE(brer @ Aug 8 2007, 05:10 PM) *

did you shutz the entire underbody?
like, everywhere?

I'm not sure who that you're asking, but yes, I did my entire underbody. thumb3d.gif
McMark
Everything that's green in those pictures is Schutz.
Tobra
That is also what they painted the tops, rockers, bumpers and valences as I understand it.
Lou W
QUOTE(Tobra @ Aug 9 2007, 08:09 AM) *

That is also what they painted the tops, rockers, bumpers and valences as I understand it.

I shot my Rocker panels and I'm leaning towards shooting the valances with 3M Rocker Gard, I'm not exactly sure what the difference is between the Body Shutz and the 3M Rocker Gard, I'm thinking that the Rocker Gard may be a little more chip resistant (rubbery), but I noticed that the 3M Rocker Gard was primer color.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 8 2007, 04:34 PM) *

Tinted 3M Schutz
Click to view attachment

Painted body color.
Click to view attachment

Is that the judge's car???
brer
I think its the can of worms I was talking about.

biggrin.gif
McMark
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 9 2007, 08:22 AM) *
Is that the judge's car???

That is Mike Carmody's (Mikey) Irish Green 914-6.
McMark
QUOTE(Tobra @ Aug 9 2007, 07:09 AM) *

Not the targa top. The targa top texture was originally a sprayed on gel coat. But using the Schutz is a suitable replacement from what I've heard.
brer
I used the rocker spray on my wonky front valance and it hid alot of the unpleasantness. Looks good too.

Sprayed the whole thing, then knocked back the bumps on the top half near the body so it gets more texture at the bottom. Looks great actually, considering how mangled it was before I hammered on it. Painted SEM Trim black.
Lou W
QUOTE(brer @ Aug 9 2007, 11:46 AM) *

Sprayed the whole thing, then knocked back the bumps on the top half near the body so it gets more texture at the bottom.

That sounds like a good idea. idea.gif
degreeoff
Just a thought....how about truck bedliner?...from the little I used on my 911 dash it didn't take much per square foot , was cheap and had a nice uniform gloss to it?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.