Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT: Auto Paint: Good Deal?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brian Mifsud
A fellow on Craigs is selling "Automotive Paint" $10/qt.

His Ad

Was wondering if by part numbers, or the dinky photo

IPB Image

if someone with auto painting experience can identify it as a good brand or not?
ws91420
someone correct me if I am wrong but isn't there a shelf life on paint?
914nerd
There is a shelf life on paint
How accurate that life really is, depends
sww914
It looks like PPG boxes from what I can see in the crappy little photo. Call him and see what kind of paint it is. I've sprayed acrylic lacquer that was 10 years old, it still worked. I've sprayed urethane basecoat that was more than 5 years old and it was fine. I'd be leery of old single stage or clearcoat, and especially any hardeners.
For reference, I payed $60.00 for a pint of Chroma Premier basecoat today.
Hardener, reducer and clear not included.
Brian Mifsud
I got ahold of Mark and Larry, the sellers. They just bought an old auto paint supply house, and this material was leftover. They don't know anything about the paint themselves as they are auctioneers. Anyhow, he said the paint I was interested in was Acrylic Enamel. The brand is Ditzler "Duracryl".

Does this qualilfy as "old single stage" paint?

I have a Sunflower Yellow car and would like to stick as closely to that original as possible.

He has a case of "Grabber Yellow" 05H-85650...2214-D as found on a '70-'72 Ford or Mercury.
He also has Dark Yellow.....1 case..75-76...Chevy...33.......... 2814

and

Yellow-Flame…..2 cases…75……Dodge truck…….DT2682…. 3154

Does anybody have any idea of how close/faraway these are from Sunflower?

Thanks
VaccaRabite
^^^^^
Do a google search. to find the paint codes. You will be able to find paint chips of them online.

of course, what is looks like on your monitor via paint chip may not be what it looks like at home on your car. YMMV

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.