Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel lines replacement in tunnel?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
slim72914
I started replacing all my rubber/braided cloth fuel lines and drained the fuel tank so I decided I might as well pull the tank and replace the plastic lines in the tunnel just for piece of mind.

What size lines should I use??
Any advantage to going to larger line than the stock plastic?
highways
Go with Chris's stainless steel lines for through the tunnel. $50, they're perfect and you never have to worry about it again. His vendor post can be found in the vendors section I believe.

here you go:
link
purple
How hard is it to put these in with the engine in the car?
rhodyguy
it's not that bad. you need to get the angle just right to get it started. for carbs and a fuel pump with no return feature, you only need 1 line. the larger of the 2 chris offers.

k
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Chris Foley did a great job on the lines, so nice that they will be featured in the upcoming 914 catalog. Too bad they are hidden in the tunnel they really look great!

On the other side of the coin, the tunnel lines are usually good for life as they are well protected and we never remove them unless absolutely necessary (like if they have been melted due to a floor pan replacement or clutch tube repair. I would not go through the hassle just for piece of mind!

McMark
agree.gif Get Chris's lines.
rhodyguy
who are you agreeing with sport? wink.gif me or george? doing the lines unness? maybe so. it's a done deal for me and i don't have to EVER worry about the issue again.

k
John
I went with stainless lines. Because I am a CSOB, I bent my own.

It looks like Chris makes very nice lines.

My plastic lines inside the tunnel were in good condition, but the portions sticking out into the engine compartment had become brittle. For me, I wanted new lines, and stainless seemed like the most cost effective long term solution.

My bends mimic the original plastic lines. After I removed them I used them as my patterns.

As long as the original lines are still pliable, there is nothing wrong with them. Mine became brittle.

Edit:

I used 5/16" stainless tubing for both feed and return. If doing it again, I would consider 3/8".....
slim72914
Well I'm going to go ahead and do it. Ill probably just go with the 5/16 I doubt I'll ever put any motor in that would demand any more fuel than 5/16 can deliver. Im assuming these lines replace the line all they way to the fuel tank including the steel lines that go in the front of the tunnel. Is this correct?
swl
not quite. Chris's lines are hard lines not AN style flex lines. They replace the originals inch for inch. ie from the front firewall to just before the fuel pump. You will still need to replace/reuse the rest of the rubber lines. If you have the coin and want the look this could be done with the AN stuff. Running the flextube all the way has always apealed to me - (one joint at the tank - one at the pump) but the cost per foot of that line is pretty high compared to a stainless hard line.

The place to be anal about replacement line is from the output of the pump to the pressure regulator - that is the high pressure section.
slim72914
I agree swl. Cost is the reason I am going with the SS hardlines. I'm going to order now. Ill repost when I install them and let ya know how it all goes! If anyone wants the stock plastic ones let me know... Im sure someone out there does... headbang.gif
davesprinkle
When you order the line, be sure to tell Chris where the fuel pump is located. If the pump is in the front of the car, then both of your lines can be 5/16". If your pump is in the rear of the car, then the supply line to the pump will be 3/8", and the return line will be 5/16".
swl
here's an interesting thread on AN fittings and the fuel tank.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=72023

Notice the blue line he used. It is AN that can be used over a barbed fitting. I've been looking for the thread where that stuff was discussed but can't find it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.