Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: looking for a picture of an engine bay heater set up
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pba110
anybody got some engine bay pics laying around?
i've got all these heating parts and i think i know where they go...but the haynes manual is less than desirable in it's description of its installation. i'm confused about the mounting of the blower motor...which hoses go where etc
thanks in advance!
pete
pba110
here are pics of the parts i have except for one off the elbows i have in the trunk...
on the car are the HE's and the heater flapper box cable. i've also got the flapper boxes...simple questions, but there are there blower motors in the front of the car? i've been told that there are and that there aren't
any suggestions? oh this is going on a 74...
where does the guide plate gO?
thanks a lot guys!
IPB Image
IPB Image
JC 914
Hey Pete,
Where on the east coast are you?? I've got pretty much the same situation!!

Terry
dr914@autoatlanta.com
call me if you like and I will describe it to you 770 427 2844 ext 16
Dave_Darling
First pic: Those complex three-way things bolt onto the bottom of the fan shroud, the front of the heat exchangers, and the thirt part sticks up through the hole in the engine tin. The slightly bent pipe bolts onto the other front opening of the heat exchanger, and the "flapper box" clamps onto the front of it. (There should be two of those bent pipes, and two flapper boxes. I only see the one pipe and no flapper boxes.)

Second pic: The sheet-metal piece looks to be the one from a tail-shift car. It goes under the engine on the left side, bolting to the crankcase sump and the heat exchanger. The two paper hoses go from the flapper boxes to the holes in the body at the lower corners of the engine bay. The blower looks to be the 73-74 type, so it should get hose-clamped onto a stand welded onto the left-side engine shelf below the relay board. The single hose there goes from the heater blower outlet to the tube (the third pipe from the three-part things in the first pic) that sticks up through the engine tin. The right-side one would be capped off.

I posted pics on how much of this fits together on the Bird board. Do a search on the 914 boar there for "flapper box" and you should find them.

--DD
914werke
Dave are you suggesting that the flex hoses that connect the flap valves to the body as OE were the "PAPER" type and not the rubber with wire support more commanly found?
pba110
awesome.
thanks for the help guys especially dave, you've really been helping me out, thanks
this weekend, i'm trying to complete:
-rotor/brake install on all four
-alternator install (very, very scared of this one)
-heating system
-minor rust removal and inhibitor paint application

wish me luck
thanks for the info guys
-oh i live in VA where are you on the EC?
rhodyguy
the triangular tin piece lives above the rear shift rod in a sideshift config. the curved portion points up. it connects to the bottom of the case and the heat exchanger on the driver's side. it provides quit a bit of stability for the he and helps protect the bottom of the cyl and pushrod tubes. there should be a similar shaped piece on the pass side. it will have a squarish channel running thru lengthwise. it fastens in pretty much the same fashion

k
terrymason
QUOTE(pba110 @ Aug 10 2007, 10:03 AM) *

awesome.
thanks for the help guys especially dave, you've really been helping me out, thanks
-heating system

wish me luck
thanks for the info guys

Where in VA? There are some of us scattered all around, with alot in northern va.

On the brakes - the fronts are pretty easy / standard, but I've heard (haven't done it) that the rear brakes are fairly difficult, and some venting clearances have to be set. No first hand knowledge here, just rumor.
swl
Engine Bay looking down from the drivers side.
Click to view attachment
Plumbing - driver's side from the rear.
Click to view attachment

swl
Plumbing - from the front

Click to view attachment
JC 914
QUOTE(pba110 @ Aug 10 2007, 02:03 PM) *

awesome.
-heating system

wish me luck
thanks for the info guys

N.E. tENNESSEE - Tri-cities area. Near Bristol Motor Speedway
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Aug 10 2007, 09:00 AM) *

Dave are you suggesting that the flex hoses that connect the flap valves to the body as OE were the "PAPER" type and not the rubber with wire support more commanly found?

Oh, crap--good catch!! No, I'm suggesting (now) that I don't know which hoses those are in the pic.... wink.gif

--DD
JPB
If its not done, bring it to the East Coast Cookout and you will have some help there. I will personally supervise the repairs while totally intoxicated on some home brew from our local Brewmeister Zymergist! If all else fails and your quasi conchious, you could always tow it back home. beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.