Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Body Work
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JBart
Does anybody do bodywork or know anybody that does in the
Temecula or Lake Elsinore area? I F---ED Up now I need rear quarter panel work.

Here's a pic. of what I have

Thanks,
jbart
thomasotten
Looks like a simple repair.
Spoke
It's hammer time! Er, dolly and hammer time, that is.

Sorry to see the damage. How did it happen?

My damage looked like yours except the quarter was ok until the fender got pushed into the rear wheel and folded up under.

Here's before and after my hammer time and mine included a sledge hammer. Only replaced the bumper and taillight in this repair. Young girl behind me didn't see me stopped for a left hand turn or the SUV in front of me doing the same thing.

Good luck,
Spoke
thomasotten
Wow, you actually fixed that trunk lid? Nice!
watsonrx13
Spoke, do you have the link to your repair post?

BTW, great job....

-- Rob
solex
Speaking for Spoke because I saw his car, he did the repair completely by himself... search the archives he has a few more pictures of the process...

Spoke
Hey, thanks for the kind words. Body repair can be done and done cheaply if you work at it. I learned a lot about bending, stretching, and shrinking metal over the course of this repair. Chris at Klasse356 gave me many tips on how to do bondo and get it straight. I made many templates out of cardstock to match the bad fender to the good fender.

Having 2 914s and 4 other cars means I like to do most of the auto work myself to stretch the funds as far as possible.

Stretching funds = more $$$ for 914 parts. biggrin.gif I spent more on tools, bondo, and primer than I did on 914 parts. Got the taillight assembly from Addidas here for $25 and an ebay bumper in Jersey for $10. Had the red paint from before. Only did a single stage paintjob.

Spent about 3 weeks on the trunk lid. It had a nasty kink and rust under the rear lip that needed welding. I made a template out of plywood of the front to rear trunk shape on the non-hit side to get the right contour on the wacked side.

Here's the links to my progress on the red car. I surprised myself by how well the bodywork came out and I wouldn't hessitate to do it again if needed. Took a long time to finish but I'm slow as hell. Having a garage is a must plus there was no suspension or drivetrain damage.

BFH Hammer

On the Road Again

Spoke
JBart
Well, are you sure you want to know how I did this ? OK it was PURE STUPIDITY 100% I had been working on the car for awhile now got it running and just like a kid got all excited dropped the jack made it about a half a block and all the sudden WOBLE WOBLE and then OH SHIT there went the rear wheel . All I can say is it could have been ALOT worse THANK GOD it wasn't.
IronHillRestorations
You've got larger stones than me, I'd never post photos of a FUBAR like that! unsure.gif
John
QUOTE(9146986 @ Aug 14 2007, 06:51 AM) *

You've got larger stones than me, I'd never post photos of a FUBAR like that! unsure.gif

I still recognize it.

It's more like a faux pas, a blunder, or a big fat OOPS!!.

Sorry to see your rear fender look like that.

Next time check your lug bolts for tightness.
JBart
We're all like family here right ? And by the way I ask the wife if she had tightend my nuts and she said yes . Wrong NUTS though biggrin.gif But if she reads this they will be even tighter blink.gif

jbart
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.