Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Pump Electrical Connector Problems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kfieler
Click to view attachment

As seen in the photo, the electrical connector to my fuel pump is "shot". stromberg.gif Looks like A PO had a problem and encased the connector in epoxy and electrical tape. headbang.gif The "fix" didn't last. What you see is what was left of the connector when all the "crap" was removed.

In your opinion, what would be the best way to fix this issue?

Can the factory connector be "rebuilt" or a new one purchased?

Should I simply crimp push-on connectors onto the existing wires or build a new wiring harness with #16 stranded wire and new connectors?

If building a new wiring harness is the way to go, where would be the best place to connect it in the engine bay? All the way back to the relay board?

Lastly, I still do not know if I have a working fuel pump or not! To test the pump, can I temporarily run power to it directly from the battery (just to see if the pump runs)?

Thanks for helping a "newbie"... I feel like I am so very close to finally firing-up this thing for the first time (1973 914 1.7)!

- Keith

dr914@autoatlanta.com

buy a new factory connector and two factory slip in female spades and a new fuel pump connector boot, crimp on snap in and you are back in business.

QUOTE(kfieler @ Aug 10 2007, 10:39 AM) *

Click to view attachment

As seen in the photo, the electrical connector to my fuel pump is "shot". stromberg.gif Looks like A PO had a problem and encased the connector in epoxy and electrical tape. headbang.gif The "fix" didn't last. What you see is what was left of the connector when all the "crap" was removed.

In your opinion, what would be the best way to fix this issue?

Can the factory connector be "rebuilt" or a new one purchased?

Should I simply crimp push-on connectors onto the existing wires or build a new wiring harness with #16 stranded wire and new connectors?

If building a new wiring harness is the way to go, where would be the best place to connect it in the engine bay? All the way back to the relay board?

Lastly, I still do not know if I have a working fuel pump or not! To test the pump, can I temporarily run power to it directly from the battery (just to see if the pump runs)?

Thanks for helping a "newbie"... I feel like I am so very close to finally firing-up this thing for the first time (1973 914 1.7)!

- Keith

kfieler
Thank you! I am looking for the parts now.

However, I have no idea if my fuel pump works or not.

Can someone please tell me if I can test my fuel pump by temporarily applying voltage directly from the battery?

If my fuel pump is shot (along with my electrical connector), I would like to be able to order everything at once.

Thanks!

- Keith
rhodyguy
just call george and order the correct items. he knows what you need connector and wire end wise. 1-770-427-2844, ext 16.

k
ejm
Yes you can hook the pump to a battery to see if it runs. IIRC the pump is marked for polarity. Not good to run it dry so just verify it spins. Keep in mind it could run and still be bad.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.