Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Painting help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
derekdenman
I am about to spray the engine bay of my car. I have some OMNI AU Urethane but there are no instructions on how to thin it. Does anyone have any experience with this? Can I use a laquer thinner? What ratio?

Thanks for the help.

-Derek
Evill Ed
QUOTE(derekdenman @ Aug 10 2007, 10:53 AM) *

I am about to spray the engine bay of my car. I have some OMNI AU Urethane but there are no instructions on how to thin it. Does anyone have any experience with this? Can I use a laquer thinner? What ratio?

Thanks for the help.

-Derek

Derek, go here http://www.ppg.com/cr-refinish/phase1/frmFindProduct.asp

With Omni AU (Acrylic Urethane) you can mix it as a base coat MBC or as a single stage MTK. Look for these (MBC and MTK) on the prodcut sheet list.

For an engine compartment, mix it (Omni AU) as MTK, this way you will not need to clear coat it. For MTX you need reducer and hardner. They must be from the Omni line, you can not use laquer thinner. Go to a PPG Omni delaer for these materials.

My advice would be the MR186 medium reducer and the MH 167 fast hardner for the engine bay. Mix as the spec sheet says, 4 parts MTX, 1 part MR 186 and 1 part MH 167.

Ask the paint store for a mixing cup. They have various columns printed on them. Look for the column that says 4:1:1.

In the first column, 4: pick a value, say 3. Pour the MTX (Omni AU) up to the 3 line. The next coulmn will be a 1: Add the MR186 to the 3 line in that column. in the next 1: column, add the MH167 to the 3 line. This will give you the 4 parts to 1 part to 1 part ratio. BTW - If there is a 4th 1: column on the mix cup, just ignore it. Then mix them well with a mixing stick for at least 30 seconds. Strain into your gun with a filter and adjust your gun set up. Let me know if you have any questions.

Good luck.

Ed
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.