Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsches2Ouchford! 914-6 Repair--HELP!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
2pointOH
Well the good news is I along with fellow 914 owners Kelly Manley, Doug Robbins and Brad Shisler took home 5 of the 38 available awards at this year's Porsches2Oxford. As some of you may have heard both Kelly's and my car broke down (mine needing to be left wrapped up in the parking garage in Oxford for 3 days and Kelly's in Indiana at Brad Mayeur's house).

I haven't heard the extent of Kelly's repairs and costs but I'm being told mine could run several thousand dollars. Here's what I know happened. On the way to Oxford I was driving the 6 on a very windy road in the rain. I wasn't speeding but I had never driven the new 6 in the rain and the Dunlop 185's had little to no grip on the wet road and around the rear end came and I did my best to avoid the road crew, their trucks, on coming traffic and the ditch.

It took nearly 15 minutes to turn the car over and when I did it ran really rough and at stops choked out. When I would add gas it would make a pinging sound that sounded like a small Sherman tank. My mechanic was at the show and asked to listen to the car before I left the next morning. He felt the car sounded bad enough to leave in Oxford until he could come back and put it on a trailer.

When he got it back to his shop he pulled the oil plug and said it was full of metal shavings (which we know is not good). He thinks we through a rod bearing or worse and said I will need to completely rebuild the engine including splitting the case, straightening out the flywheel, replacing numerous parts and cleaning the entire system. He hopes it will only run me $8,000!! He said it could run higher. The car is a 1970 original 2.0 liter 6 upgraded to a 2.2 liter when the previous owner rebuilt and restored the entire car in 1994. My mechanic thinks I may have over-revved the engine during the spin when I thought I hit the brake. Frankly I can't remember during the rain what I did or didn't do but I don't recall going past the redline. I asked if the 2.0 liter 6 engine came with a rev limiter and I was told yes but it may not have been replaced in the engine upgrade.

I've owned the car for 4 months and beyond the purchase price I have already sunk $2K+ into the car and now this.....wow makes my Honda Element SC look smart!!! Any thoughts on what kind of dollars I could and should be looking at here if I need a total rebuild??

Let me know your thought---thanks!!

sad.gif John
Brando
$8,000-$12,000 Done right.

Nothing personal, but welcome to the real cost of Porsche ownership. huh.gif
SirAndy
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

did you roll the car over?

a engine rebuild can be costly. for less than the $8k you're looking at, you can buy a low milage 3.6L that will last you forever and have a bit more umpfh at the same time.

think about it ...
stirthepot.gif Andy

PS: i'm glad you're OK ...
2pointOH
Thanks for the response guys. I was told a low end of $8,000. The car (and me and my son) otherwise were unscathed so that's the great news!! I'm looking to keep the car a numbers matching set up so I'll need to rebuild her as is. Hopefully a rev limiter will prevent this from happening again??

But I now have my first award with the new car (at the cost of $8,000-12,000!!!!!). Hopefully this average will go down acros the next 6 months of my ownership!!

John
2pointOH
QUOTE(2pointOH @ Aug 11 2007, 04:10 AM) *

Thanks for the response guys. I was told a low end of $8,000. The car (and me and my son) otherwise were unscathed so that's the great news!! I'm looking to keep the car a numbers matching set up so I'll need to rebuild her as is. Hopefully a rev limiter will prevent this from happening again??

But I now have my first award with the new car (at the cost of $8,000-12,000!!!!!). Hopefully this average will go down acros the next 6 months of my ownership!!

John

JPB
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 11 2007, 01:32 AM) *

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

did you roll the car over?

a engine rebuild can be costly. for less than the $8k you're looking at, you can buy a low milage 3.6L that will last you forever and have a bit more umpfh at the same time.

think about it ...
stirthepot.gif Andy

PS: i'm glad you're OK ...

agree.gif Anything less thean a 3L is not worth the money. You might be able to get a good penny for your engine sold as a basket case once you clean it up. beer.gif
sixnotfour
Bummer
Hope all turns out well.
propricer
Pull the engine and stick it in storage ... someday when you sell the car, you can still sell it with the original numbers matching engine despite the 'unknown' condition.
KEEP THE ORIGINAL ENGINE !!!
Buy a running 2.0, 2.2, 2.4 or even a 2.7 that is running and needs nothing and just drop it in with no mods or changes. If you go bigger, you will start to make mods that basically detract from the value of the original 6.
Good luck ... and sorry for your loss !!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.