Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - Honda generators Eu2000i or Eu3000is
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
we have been having a lot of power outages this past week. While I would love a whole house backup generator, that is not a option. I would like to get a small quite portable one that we would use to power a fridge or electric heater if needed. I like the Honda Eu3000is, but I think the Eu2000i would work for us. Also the Eu2000i we could used to power our timing gear for AXing.

So does anyone hear have either of these models? what do you think of them? any known issues? I did a google search and didn't really find a anything bad with them.

Thanks beer.gif

HONDA LINK
computers4kids
Last year when I decided to buy a generator for my RV I did a lot of research focused on the Honda 2000 and 3000 as well as they Yahmaha. What I ended up buying was two of the Honda Eu200i generators and a parrallel kit. In most cases I just run the one generator which is quiet and will start microwaves and a variety items. However, when I need more power...i.e when I running AC which has a huge startup surge and other items all at the same time, I fire up the second generator and then have 4000 watts instead of the 2000.

Having two smaller ones are much lighter to move around and are still are very quiet both running at the same time. If you're an old fart like me, try moving the 3000 model with gas in it around by yourself.

You need to figure out what you want to run and find out if they have large startups like a micros, which require almost 3x their working wattage to kick start them.

Through my research, I looked hard and long to find the best prices on these things ranging from local stores, ebay, Internet etc. I found a place back east that beat everyone hands down including shipping etc. If you are interested I'll dig up my paperwork and give you the Interent address.
Good Luck,
Mark
Dr. Roger
Yep, I've got two EU 1000's with a parallel cable kit. I use one most of the time unless I need the extra wattage for extra loads (using my 110V MIG welder in the middle of no where. =)

Zero problems.

Regularly maintained.
IronHillRestorations
I"ve got two ES6500's they are big and heavy. Quiet for 18HP though. Good units, wish I had a larger permanent model with electronic transfer and exercise cycle.
davep
Both inverters and generators need to be sized according to the surge current that comes from motors and transformers. Motors in particular almost short circuit when starting so you have to consider the LRA rating (locked rotor amps). You cannot even measure it accurately since a meter cannot respond fast enough. Once a motor starts to spin, the amps fall way off.
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE(davep @ Aug 14 2007, 10:18 AM) *

Both inverters and generators need to be sized according to the surge current that comes from motors and transformers. Motors in particular almost short circuit when starting so you have to consider the LRA rating (locked rotor amps). You cannot even measure it accurately since a meter cannot respond fast enough. Once a motor starts to spin, the amps fall way off.

.....Is it useful to put a deep cycle battery between the generator and the surge load?.

I realize you get losses going through a AC-DC charger and then back through an inverter... but wouldn't a high "cranking amp" battery let you "cheat" and not need a second generator?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.