Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Intermediate Plate Bearings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kconway
I've got a friend who has been inside the tranny alot and is going to help me pull it apart and reseal it. Presently it leaks but can't quite tell from where, looks like at the intermediate plate. He's recommending replacing the two bearings in the intermediate plate, since likely never been done. Why? Because they are most likely pitted and will require replacement, his words. He used to race locally and tells me he would change out his gears almost weekly depending on which track he was racing that week (so I think he knows what he's talking about). I know he is conservative (engineer in aerospace industry), but I'm curious how often these bearing actually fail?

Also, I see they're not cheap; best price I could fine was $168 ea. Sound like the right price?

Kev
Dr Evil
If they aint broke, dont change them. The lower one seldom goes bad and at times is hard to find. The upper one goes bad more often because it sits out of the gear oil and is the first to dry up when the oil is allowed to go too low for too long. A simple test to see if the bearings are ok is to see how far you can spread the pinion and drive shaft apart. It should not be much. If you dont have a press then removing the drive shaft to inspect the upper bearing can be dodgy and may actually cause you to wreck stuff. But, if your friend is willing to remove the shafts so you can inspect the bearings up close then have at it biggrin.gif
kconway
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 13 2007, 11:10 PM) *

If they aint broke, dont change them.

Yeah...my thought too. The picture he's painting is its cheap insurance, if the bearing comes apart, it will tear up the entire gear stack, chair.gif No where the bearing can be had new least expensively?

Thanks Doc. thumb3d.gif
Dr Evil
GPR will beat anyones price and are fairly close to you. As for the current cheap place, nope. I get mine through a vendor now and I aint a gonna mess with them until the end of the month. If you can wait I may be able to help.
kconway
GPR is where I got the prices I qouted. Surprised that my local dealership was only $15 more. I got that price before the GPR qoute so I was hoping I could find it for much less (1/2) the dealership rate.

Kev
Dr Evil
Nope, that has been the going rate for those for a long time. Actually, the sold for $300 at one time.
kconway
One more question, can anybody tell me if the rebuild gasket sets contains ALL the seals & gaskets? Including shift shaft seal and drive shaft seal?

Thx,
Kev
Dr Evil
Yup, sure do. The only seal no contained is the seal inside the speedo drive (not a big deal). The O-ring out side the speedo drive is in the set.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.