Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Monitoring temps on a /6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
Is it necessary to monitor head temps on a /6 like it is on a /4?

My 2.7 has no external cooler but oil temps stay in the 205 - 215 range all the time. I'm just curious if I should also be looking at actual head temps.

If it's a good idea, how is it done?

Is there a head temp sender somewhere on the motor or do you have to set up an aftermarket type like a sender under one of the plugs?
Allan
w00t.gif
dimitri
Years ago I was running a 2.2 T with Webers in a 73 VW bus and my oil temp in
New Mexico ran a steady 300 F. After returning to the Bay Area, San Francisco,
I called the Shell refinery. Was told nothing to worry about and offered a free
oil analysis. The motor never quit on me, 5years later broke the ring gear and sold the van hull. kept the engine. Now I have a Vanagon Syncro with a Subaru
xt6 motor, 2.7l 6cyl. Ones you experience water heating, even a Porsche motor
911 type is no match. Dimitri
Rand
Why are head temps important? Because certain metals can tolerate different levels of heat. And certain things break down or stretch or otherwise degrade when they are overheated... Valves, guides, etc.....

Has to do with materials and temperatures..... No to do with the number of cylinders.

I get your point though... some motors are more/less prone to problems than others. But there are so many variables... About build, state of tune, cooling tin, timing, etc., etc., etc....

Me, I want to rely on the gauges that tell the state of MY engine. Not some vague guidelines about one motor or another.

A decent head temp gauge with an under-the-spark-plug sender is less than $100. Good idea in my book.
Allan
QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 14 2007, 03:00 PM) *

A decent head temp gauge with an under-the-spark-plug sender is less than $100. Good idea in my book.

What cylinder runs the hottest on a /6?
SLITS
QUOTE(Headrage @ Aug 14 2007, 04:56 PM) *

QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 14 2007, 03:00 PM) *

What cylinder runs the hottest on a /6?

The rear ones as installed in a 914/6 (#3, #6).... if any
Eric_Shea
The rear ones as installed in a 914/6 (#3, #6).... if any

Like you would know... tongue.gif
Brando
I agree with SLITS, #'s 3 and 6 would be the warmest.

The cooling is setup differently on a flat six than the flat four. Having a fan setup that churns more air through there has a tendancy to help, too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.