Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Center Console Clips Ripped Out Of The Board
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orthobiz
I pulled out the center console instrument board of my car today for the first time. I've pulled them out dozens of times over the years without any problem (maybe I was just lucky).

This time the board popped out from the top bar connecting the two walls of the console, but it left both clips stuck inside that top bar.

So, I pinched the clips with a pair of pliers, put each end into the hole in the board and now it looks like the clips are in too deep and do not want to engage the slot in the top bar. It looks like originally each end of the clip was in between layers of ?plywood? of the board and this wood is now crunched up and will not hold the clips.

Any easy fix here? I think if I leave the clips all the way in, there's a protective layer of foam that will keep the clips from working through the vinyl. And there's a bit of a friction fit when the board is pushed back into place but it doesn't have the positive feel of the original.

Thanks,

Paul
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

Orthorbiz:

When this has ever happened to me ,I grab the clips with a pair of pliers

and insert it back in the gauge panel,at 90 degrees from the way they have to be to fit into the brace between the halfes. Then twist them to the correct orientation
and release.They snap open in a slot in the gauge panel. Dave slap.gif
terrymason
I built a new center console face plate, so that I could have 5 guages, and had a similar problem. I simply could not get the retaining clip to fit in there properly, and ended up drilling a hole through the face place and running a bolt through the face and out the back.
Rav914
I used velcro tabs. Cheap fix, I know, but easier and works well.
orthobiz
I think the velcro is a great idea! When the backing glue fails, glue-be-gone can make the vinyl surface new again.

I just think the wood is too splintered to twist it back in place permanently. And I just know I'm gonna be in and out of that space in the future (I'm thinking of a fire extinguisher back there...)

Paul
73Phoenix20
And so it begins...

just can't leave well enough alone, can we??? ;>))

I knew I shouldn't have sold you those Service Manuals! Now you're going to want to take it all apart and see what makes it "tick"!
orthobiz
QUOTE(73Phoenix20 @ Aug 15 2007, 04:49 AM) *

And so it begins...

just can't leave well enough alone, can we??? ;>))

I knew I shouldn't have sold you those Service Manuals! Now you're going to want to take it all apart and see what makes it "tick"!

Back in the 80's I put a ton of stuff in the center console in my old black 76. Just ask Riley Rogers (he owns it now). I bought aluminum project boxes from Radio Shack and wired an alarm system (the UNGO box) under the dash. When the alarm went off it triggered stuff in the center console to relays that flashed the turn signals (different wiring at different rates), work two different Bosch horns I mounted in the engine compartment to honk at different rates, put up an automatic antenna which then signalled me that my car had been violated via a separate beeper I wore 24/7. I had also wired a nice stereo setup through there.

Now all I want to do is look back there once in awhile. But I used to LIVE in that space! And I don't ever remember the clips coming out!!!

Paul
73Phoenix20
Me either! I was very surprised when I saw your original post! Must have been invaded by those Upper Michigan Termites!

Yes, there is a great deal of "Usable" space back in there if you can get to it! And every CC is precious in a 914!

She still looks "Dynamite"!!!

I am in the process of upgrading my sound system on my 911SC from Cassette to CD (WOW, now I can enter the 21st Century!). Got the new Blaupunkt head unit installed and it looks great, but I found out that the original (and VERY MINI) Amp has taken a dump, and am waiting fro a replacement to come in, so that I can continue to sweat profusely while cramped up in the Passengers footwell!

If I ever get that project finished, we may just take a drive North and see if we can meet for some lunch or drinks later! Keep The Faith!
greybeard50
Convert to CD just about the time when the market takes a dive. Now you're beginning to sound like me... Now where did I put that 8" reel???? Hmmmmm
73Phoenix20
He, He! Ain't it the truth!

I'm sure I've got my Dad's old 78 rpm "Sons Of The Pioneers" around here someplace! Wax is still pretty good on most of them!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.