Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to assess what a 914 is worth?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BGFalcon
First post, and probably a typical one. I'm looking at a 914 (duh). Owner is asking, what I think is, a high amount.

Is there an accepted standard for how to assess the worth of these vehicles?

The vehicle is a '73 2.0. Approx. 97k on the motor. Motor has been inspected by a trustworthy source and said to be in good condition. I'd say, for a 34 year-old vehicle, the exterior is a stong 8.5, the interior more about a 7. No rust issues. Battery tray issue has been resolved. Mechanically in very good shape. All four corners have newly re-built brakes, clutch has been newly re-built. Both jobs by a highly respected Porsche mechanic. Also a "number of little things" by same mechanic. It has the usual options: fog lights, center instrument tower (?- sorry on the terminology), actually has a passenger-side mirror.

I know vehicles are worth whatever someone is willing to pay. But what is the typical consensus on a vehicle like this? I'm not posting a photo because, not being the owner, I don't know if that's appropriate. I did a search on this site and found that pretty much each time this question was raised, each vehicle was individually assessed. If so, what are the opinions?
Spoke
The 73 2L is one of the most sought after 914s. Has medium to high miles on the engine. No rust? Hmm. Center console. How's the paint? If the paint is good this car would go for a premium. Sounds like it's well sorted out. My guess is 5K-8K, maybe more, especially since it's on the right coast.

Spoke
Dr Evil
Pics will help the assessment, a current asking price as well. If you are in WA state vs Washington DC the value will also be affected. Some pluses:
- All the mechanical work (by a mechanic so it cost $$)
- Very desirable year and engine, 73 2.0
- If there are really NO rust issues ( if I had a $1 for every time I heard that wink.gif ) then the price will be higher for sure...and worth it.

Check ebay for current offerings and note their locations.
Check our classifieds for the same.

Craig at CAMP914 is up your way (if in WA), he is in OR and knows a lot about these cars....not to mention he has many great ones for sale. Peruse his site for ideas.
http://www.camp914.com/carsforsale.html

welcome.png good luck!
SGB
Unless it is showroom like in all respects, it won't be worth more than $6500 for another year or too. I think that is way undervalue, but the market is full of 'em for $5k or less...
Dr Evil
Those rubber door thingies detract form the value if they mess the paint up dry.gif
BGFalcon
I agree. I wasn't real fond of them either. Not hideous, but detracts from the vehicle.

What I'm intrigued with is the mechanical quality of the vehicle. You buy one of these things and you never know what little "surprise" you're going to get hit with 6 to 8 months later.
GWN7
well if it was worked on by a mechanic, they should be able to give you the compression & leakdown numbers
lotus_65
it's a 36-year old car for enthusiasts. you'll have surprises! biggrin.gif

do yourself a favor. get the numbers for the car and some pics, pens, pencils, calculator & your superman lunchbox and go to camp. it'd be like school, only more fun, and you'll learn more.

i wish i had... dry.gif
jasons
I suspect if that car had a battery tray rust issue, its got other rust issues. Maybe not serious, but finding them would be good bargaining leverage and not a deal killer. Rust free 914's are about 1 in 10000. They are so uncommon, I would almost say they were a white buffalo. I live in AZ, and I can't find 100% rust free cars.

Does it still have the DJET FI? That also detracts from value.
rhodyguy
who's shop is that? fordahl's? the visible rust issues may have been adressed. putting the car on one of those lifts and giving it the hard look is certainly easier than laying on the ground. if that car has lived in washington the majority of it's life, there's prob more issues. too bad about the 'ding strips'. hard and exspensive to undo. the value is hard to establish. you'll find high dollar polished turds and less exspensive diamonds in the rough. what is the asking price on the car? where specificly are you located?

k
tdgray
I would think asking someone in your neck of the woods to help you do a PPI would be a good idea first smile.gif
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(jasons @ Aug 15 2007, 05:46 AM) *

Does it still have the DJET FI? That also detracts from value.

confused24.gif not to start another Carbs vs FI debate.
Dr Evil
Ya, having D-jet is not a detractor.
jasons
Sorry, I implied that the wrong way. What I meant was...... Not having it can detract from value, if you are paying a premium for an original condition car.
BGFalcon
What did that "go to Camp" link from lotus_65 mean? All I saw was photos of a bunch of people happier than me because they already have their car.
rhodyguy
my guess is it means contact craig laughlin at camp14.com. there are usually a # of 914s for sale. he loves to talk on the phone. use the phone # provided at the site.

k
Spoke
I think the reference is to Camp 914. Always seems to have some nice cars and some project cars available.

Camp 914

Craig posts here as Boxstr.

Spoke
lotus_65
i thought you'd be curious enough to surf the whole site.

i'd call research "due diligence".

there's another word for sitting around waiting for people to answer all your questions...

smile.gif good luck, friend.
toon1
The car has vinyl on the front winsheild pillars. This is rare for a U.S. car. From what I understand, these where only supposed to be issued in Europe.

Talk to Mike/orange914 about this, he has one
boxstr
Try to include as much information in the post as you can. Asking price, your specific location, Wa state or Wa DC?? That can mean the difference between a salty road car and one that gets rained on alot.
The door speakers are something I don't like to see. The door guards down the side are a big negative. Rust free, no!
Looks like a nice car. I would estimate that it should sell for $7500. If you can purchase for less then consider it well bought.
CCLINHAPPYCAMPERLAND
tdgray
QUOTE(toon1 @ Aug 16 2007, 11:29 AM) *

The car has vinyl on the front winsheild pillars. This is rare for a U.S. car. From what I understand, these where only supposed to be issued in Europe.

Ummm. No, not a Euro thing exactly. Was a limited number of vehicles though.
rhodyguy
craig, if you don't call me i can't run that errand. sorry, back to the thread.

k
effutuo101
I have one as well. I don't know much about it except that it was a Euro model inported into the US. I am up in Everett.
cassidy_bolger
[quote name='tdgray' date='Aug 16 2007, 08:53 AM' post='935575']
[quote name='toon1' post='935564' date='Aug 16 2007, 11:29 AM']

How's this for added confusion: My car has them, it was a Euro delivery US car. It also has 72' early style doors and targa top / seals etc...
toon1
QUOTE(tdgray @ Aug 16 2007, 08:53 AM) *

QUOTE(toon1 @ Aug 16 2007, 11:29 AM) *

Ummm. No, not a Euro thing exactly. Was a limited number of vehicles though.

QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Aug 16 2007, 10:02 AM) *

I have one as well. I don't know much about it except that it was a Euro model inported into the US. I am up in Everett.

kinda what I said, rare in the U.S. intended for euro. . I know orange 914 was able to keep the car from being on a salvage title because of it, it made the estimated value of the car go way up
swl
QUOTE(toon1 @ Aug 16 2007, 07:29 AM) *

Good catch toon! There was a batch of early 73's that made it to North America with that vinyl but I've not heard of any other year so far. The VIN should be interesting.

I agree with getting it up on the hoist and look around the underside. If this car is 'rust free' the vendor should not object. He should also not object to removing the bottom of the rocker panels so you can look at the longs.

You should also ask to pull up the carpets on the door sills. They are glued on but the glue will be powdery and they lift easily. Look for rust along the bottom edge of the door sills (they are normally referred to as the longs but door sill is more descriptive).
swl
hmm - didn't the 74s have tits on the rear bumper. Maybe the vendor is confused on the year.
swl
QUOTE(cassidy_bolger @ Aug 16 2007, 01:10 PM) *

[ My car has them, it was a Euro delivery US car. It also has 72' early style doors and targa top / seals etc...

build date around 08 72?
roadster fan
IIRC, this car was non evil bay not long ago and did not reach reserve. I remember it because of the door mouldings barf.gif

I dont remember what the high bid was though, sorry.

Jim
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(swl @ Aug 16 2007, 04:35 PM) *

hmm - didn't the 74s have tits on the rear bumper. Maybe the vendor is confused on the year.

The 74 had "tits" on the front and rear. smile.gif
tdgray
So did the 73's
davep
QUOTE(tdgray @ Aug 17 2007, 06:52 AM) *

So did the 73's

None that I have ever seen, sorry. 1973 only had them on the front.

Yes the vinyl on the post suggests it is a very early 1973 model, as well, the early type doors. Mostly, the value depends on the amount of rust in the body and how costly it is to properly repair. If the engine is sound, then that is a big plus since it can be costly to rebuild properly. In that case we would need to know exactly what was done to the engine. Craig has an excellent handle on the price since he buys and sells so many himself.
tdgray
right Dave... did not read the "rear" part of the above post.

Thanks for correcting the info. smile.gif
BGFalcon
BTW, I've perused, oh sorry, done due diligence on the Camp914 site many times. I was just making a joke about the link taking me directly to the photo page.

I appreciate the info. The guy selling it is the mechanic who has done all the work on it. The car was up on a rack waiting for me when I went to look at it. It is in great shape. The engine is strong. He was pretty thorough when he showed it to me. Some aesthetic things aside, it is an awesome vehicle. Best one I've seen by far since I started shopping for one.

I guess there are no rule-of-thumb for these vehicles; no standards. Each is it's own case. Except we all know that no one likes those door guards. I agree with Boxstr, I was going to start at $7200 and go up to $7500.

I've got another one I'm going to look at next Wednesday. I'll probably be buying one of them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.