Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Does a Porsche paint code exist for the targa top?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ScooterD
I have tried several different black paints and they are all too black and too shiny. The original color is a muted low gloss black with some other colors mixed in like white or who knows what. Does a paint code exist or a formula that someone has come up with to match both the color and the gloss of an original top?
Thanks,
Scott
highways
I've been using SEM Black Trim paint which is a semi gloss and looks correct on black trim parts. But I'm not totally satisfied with it's handling. Gas removes it, and it get's smudged rather easily... even though it's a pretty expensive product.

If anyone knows of quality paint to do rockers and targa top type stuff with I'd like to know too.
krazykonrad
hijacked.gif I posted the same question last year. I heard Wurth was doing a low gloss black for rockers and valences.

I'll stay tuned about the targa top paint. Thats a great question. (maybe there is not paint and its just black fiberglass?????)

Konrad 72/4
degreeoff
George over at AA left a comment about it yesterday......me thinks
RonnieJ
George at AA said to use Wurth Stone guard for the texture finish. I asked if a satin black finish would look correct he he said yes. I will have to double check on the satin but I believe that is correct.
Katmanken
Hmmmm...

Concours weenies rejoice!

Factory sez...... "paint a dull black such as Rinshed Mason Nr 681 black or equivalent"

Now all ya gotta do is find the R&M Nr 681 paint or equivalent.

Ken
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(kwales @ Aug 15 2007, 06:57 PM) *

Hmmmm...

Concours weenies rejoice!

Factory sez...... "paint a dull black such as Rinshed Mason Nr 681 black or equivalent"

Now all ya gotta do is find the R&M Nr 681 paint or equivalent.

Ken

Not really.

Any top that is original finish would have been waxed sooo many times that it would be nearly glossy. Concours weenies would rather have a finish that has beeen maintained than resprayed.

And, no on gave any consideraton to the pebble finish. Never mess with a CW!
davep
agree.gif with Ken

however, best of luck with RM, av-943.gif
JeffBowlsby
Two thoughts Scott:

OSH (store brand) of all places, has a satin black spray enamel that I have used and I think its pretty convincing to what I perceive to be the OEM color and gloss.

Wolfsburg West has a spray can enamel called 'grey-black' that I have also used with good results that may also be a excellent match, its not a high gloss. It was the same color they used to spray all the old VW (and our 914s!) interior metal parts in the 70s.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 15 2007, 10:30 PM) *

Concours weenies would rather have a finish that has beeen maintained than resprayed.

By that definition I'm not a Concours "Whore", not weenie! Give me a good sandblasting & repaint every time thumb3d.gif !
IronHillRestorations
I have had decent luck mixing flat black and regular black Dutch Standard (simple enamel), and adding some generic hardener. I mix it about 60/40 flat/gloss.

I've used DuPont Centari in the past, but you've got to buy and add flattning agent, and it's a PITA.

The worst problem is getting the top clean.
krazykonrad
I just emailed Porsche Classic at the factory with out question. I'll post if I get a response.
Konrad 72/4
krazykonrad
with "OUR" question. Sorry, I dont suppose I'd get much back with out question blink.gif
Konrad
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.