Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How Risky Is It?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GTeener
Somehow I lost a lug nut while driving idea.gif and I don't have any replacements.

How dangerous is it?

I'm missing one back wheel lug nut on 5-bolt Fuchs.
degreeoff
well aside from the fact that the wheel will vibrate like a BEEOTCH (out of balance)and then ruin your bearings in a 5 min drive as well as thrash the sheet out of your shocks every thing is fine with it.........

OK I am full of it so put on your boots.

I have no idea as to how bad it is but get another and make sure the rest are torqued down OK?
SirAndy
losing one is not that big of a deal. drive up to HPH and get a replacement ...

BUT, the real question is, did you check (and re-torque) all the other nuts?
if one came lose, chances are, the other ones are about to come lose as well.

and that would be *really* bad!
shades.gif Andy
GTeener
No. I didn't check the other wheels. I just hand-tested the others on that wheel and they felt snug.

Car is parked back in the garage.

Are the lug nuts all the same size, as far as finding replacments?

I'll need to get a lug wrench too I suppose...
SirAndy
QUOTE(GTeener @ Aug 15 2007, 10:12 AM) *

they have to be for a porsche. don't buy generic flaps stuff. the bevels aren't right, even if the thread fits.

are you running the aluminium closed ones (black) or the open end steel nuts?
either way, i know rich has hundreds of spare ones.

smile.gif Andy

PS: and please, *don't* drive the car until you had a chance to tighten ALL remaining lug-nuts.
just checking by hand isn't enough ...
Joe Ricard
Get a torque wrench.
as mentioned above "hand tight snug" isn't going to cut it.
watsonrx13
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Aug 15 2007, 02:56 PM) *

Get a torque wrench.
as mentioned above "hand tight snug" isn't going to cut it.

Yea, and tighten to 95#... shades.gif

-- Rob
GTeener
OK.

Get me a torque wrench, lug nuts and no driving until all the wheels are secured again.

Thanks guys smile.gif

Torque wrench recommendations? confused24.gif
GTeener
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 15 2007, 11:40 AM) *

QUOTE(GTeener @ Aug 15 2007, 10:12 AM) *

they have to be for a porsche. don't buy generic flaps stuff. the bevels aren't right, even if the thread fits.

are you running the aluminium closed ones (black) or the open end steel nuts?
either way, i know rich has hundreds of spare ones.

smile.gif Andy

PS: and please, *don't* drive the car until you had a chance to tighten ALL remaining lug-nuts. just checking by hand isn't enough ...

Mine are black. So I guess that means aluminum confused24.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(GTeener @ Aug 15 2007, 04:45 PM) *

Mine are black. So I guess that means aluminum confused24.gif

yes. 94 flbs of torque, if memory serves me correct ...
bye1.gif Andy
PBritain
yes losing a wheel is bad news, tho it did roll my fender for me. haha

but when i lost the wheel i also lost all of the lug bolts, so i removed one from the other 3 and drove it home with 3 on all 4 wheels. luckily i was only 5 miles from home, but when i got there all were still tight.

so anyways, you should be fine.
Joe Ricard
I like the deflecting beam style torque wrench.
No need to calibrate it. Pretty durable, and you can see the desired torque approaching and can accurately obtain the desired torque.

Unless it is a snap on Click types suck and require calibration
Dial type are tuff to read and require calibration
SGB
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Aug 15 2007, 10:30 PM) *

I like the deflecting beam style torque wrench.

I want one like that. I don't trust the click-type at all- and mine is damn inconsistent. Who made your's Joe?
GWN7
I've got a Grey.....had it for 35 yrs....first major tool I ever bought....still works.

Gwen, I'll have to remember to be careful when shaking hands with you next time we meet. biggrin.gif

I just hand-tested the others on that wheel and they felt snug.

914-8
QUOTE(degreeoff @ Aug 15 2007, 10:46 AM) *

well aside from the fact that the wheel will vibrate like a BEEOTCH (out of balance)and then ruin your bearings in a 5 min drive as well as thrash the sheet out of your shocks every thing is fine with it.........

yeah, and this will happen, too
GaroldShaffer
This is what happen to me when I didn't check them before I left to go home from a AX last year. I was lucky I was only going 5 mph in a parking lot chair.gif
scotty
There's nothing like being passed by one of your wheels on the freeway.
Dave_Darling
I like my click-type wrenches. I had a cheapie Chinese one for quite a while; I checked it against my beam-type wrench every six months or so, and it was never off. When the ratchet in the cheapie finally gave out, I invested in Snap-On. That one has been good so far, too. (Hmm, I need to dig out the beam one and check the clickers again!)

Gwen, give me a call and I can bring a wrench over. It will at least help in the short run, though it is probably best to get one of your own. If all you're doing is torqueing the lug nuts, a cheapie clicker from the FLAPS will probably be fine. (Just make sure to set it back to 0 after you use it.)

--DD
GTeener
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Aug 15 2007, 09:52 PM) *

Gwen, I'll have to remember to be careful when shaking hands with you next time we meet. biggrin.gif

I just hand-tested the others on that wheel and they felt snug.

av-943.gif

Doesn't mean I have strong hands (but some say I do). Just clueless enough to think I'd be able to feel if another lug nut was about to liberate itself.
GTeener
QUOTE(914-8 @ Aug 16 2007, 12:14 AM) *

QUOTE(degreeoff @ Aug 15 2007, 10:46 AM) *

yeah, and this will happen, too

av-943.gif
GTeener
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 16 2007, 08:44 AM) *

I like my click-type wrenches. I had a cheapie Chinese one for quite a while; I checked it against my beam-type wrench every six months or so, and it was never off. When the ratchet in the cheapie finally gave out, I invested in Snap-On. That one has been good so far, too. (Hmm, I need to dig out the beam one and check the clickers again!)

Gwen, give me a call and I can bring a wrench over. It will at least help in the short run, though it is probably best to get one of your own. If all you're doing is torqueing the lug nuts, a cheapie clicker from the FLAPS will probably be fine. (Just make sure to set it back to 0 after you use it.)

--DD

Thanks!
GTeener
so interestingly...or not...

I go and buy some spare lug nuts from High Performance House last week and discover that I didn't throw the lug nut I thought I threw blink.gif It was a locking nut that lost it's cap huh.gif or maybe the locking nut broke and left the locking part behind?

How weird is that?

So I guess the car has been safe to drive afterall idea.gif
GTeener
OK, so I had no choice but to drive the 914 today thanks to a rear air suspension breakage on my 540iT sad.gif (Can you say low rider...) What's with thes German cars?!

So I took a picture of the locking nut. Is this broken? or Just missing a cap?
Cap'n Krusty
Missing the cap ................. The Cap'n
GTeener
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 31 2007, 04:09 PM) *

Missing the cap ................. The Cap'n

Phew. Not dangerous, right?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.