Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Funky Hazard Light Symptoms
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kfieler
Click to view attachment

As pictured, this is the inside of a hazard switch from a 1973 914. Does anyone know if there is supposed to be a third spring and electrical contact inside this switch (see arrow). It looks like there is room for one here, but there wasn't one when I opened this switch.

Why did I open the switch, you ask?

I have a really strange problem with my hazard lights...

When the ignition switch is turned on and the hazard switch is pushed all the way in, the flasher relay clicks and the hazard lights on the dash flash on and off (very dim). If I operate the left or right turn signals, I get one quick flash of the signal and then back to the dim flashing of the hazard lights.

If I pull the hazard switch out EVER SO SLIGHTLY, the flashing stops.

When the switch is pulled all the way out, the hazard lights operate as expected and with full intensity.

I started troubleshooting by pulling, inspecting and cleaning the flasher relay. After re-installing the relay, I had the same problem (dim flashing hazard lights when they are supposed to be OFF)!

I then opened the hazard switch. It was a real mess - inside and out and was caked with some foreign "sticky stuff" (as if it had been soaked in Coca-Cola and left to dry)!

I thoroughly cleaned the switch and polished all inside and outside connectors.

I re-installed the hazard switch and still have the same problem!

Does this sound like I have a bad flasher relay or do I have a problem with my hazard switch?

One last thing... I did have the steering column (including the turn signal and wiper switch assy's) torn-apart in order to replace a defective starter switch. Could that have anything to do with the problem?

Thanks for your help!

- Keith

dr914@autoatlanta.com
for the h..l of it try disconecting the master cylinder warning switch leads (underneath the rack and pinion cover, under the car)

QUOTE(kfieler @ Aug 15 2007, 03:03 PM) *

Click to view attachment

As pictured, this is the inside of a hazard switch from a 1973 914. Does anyone know if there is supposed to be a third spring and electrical contact inside this switch (see arrow). It looks like there is room for one here, but there wasn't one when I opened this switch.

When the ignition switch is turned on and the hazard switch is pushed all the way in, the flasher relay clicks and the hazard lights on the dash flash on and off (very dim). If I operate the left or right turn signals, I get one quick flash of the signal and then back to the dim flashing of the hazard lights.

When the switch is pulled all the way out, the hazard lights operate as expected and with full intensity.

I started troubleshooting by pulling, inspecting and cleaning the flasher relay. After re-installing the relay, I had the same problem (dim flashing hazard lights when they are supposed to be OFF)!

I then opened the hazard switch. It was a real mess - inside and out and was caked with some foreign "sticky stuff" (as if it had been soaked in Coca-Cola and left to dry)!

Does this sound like I have a bad flasher relay or do I have a problem with my hazard switch?

One last thing... I did have the steering column (including the turn signal and wiper switch assy's) torn-apart in order to replace a defective starter switch. Could that have anything to do with the problem?

Thanks for your help!

- Keith

kfieler
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 15 2007, 03:14 PM) *

for the h..l of it try disconecting the master cylinder warning switch leads (underneath the rack and pinion cover, under the car)

Click to view attachment

Thanks for your help!

- Keith

Dr. 914:

Thank you, I will try that!

With a properly working 914, if the master cylinder warning switch is activated (if there is a problem), what is the car supposed to do? This is my first 914 and I don't know what to look for (if I ever have a problem with the master cylinder).

THANKS!

- Keith
dr914@autoatlanta.com
usually when the pressure drops it flips the switch and the turn signal relay makes the light above the fuel gauge flash. If the switch partially trips the slight ground makes the relay "tick" and maybe trip any of the turn signal flasher related lights to flash partially (or not at all even though the turn signal relay is "ticking" (please make sure that you have the proper four pronged relay installed!)

QUOTE(kfieler @ Aug 15 2007, 03:31 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 15 2007, 03:14 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Thanks for your help!

- Keith

Dr. 914:

Thank you, I will try that!

With a properly working 914, if the master cylinder warning switch is activated (if there is a problem), what is the car supposed to do? This is my first 914 and I don't know what to look for (if I ever have a problem with the master cylinder).

THANKS!

- Keith

kfieler
Thank you so much! That is truly great information. I appreciate it!

- Keith
SGB
I agree, that is a valuable bit of knowledge. Hope it works for ya. I was going to suggest that the TS relay was maybe the wrong year. My dash indicators flash ONCE Brightly on the side the lever is pushed toward, then both flash dimly. I recall reading that there was a different TS relay for 73 and later cars, but frequently the earlier one is put in as a replacement and causes the symptoms I describe. But I DON'T have any initial ticking/ clicking like you describe.

George, can you confirm about the right TS relay, too?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(SGB @ Aug 16 2007, 08:04 AM) *

I agree, that is a valuable bit of knowledge. Hope it works for ya. I was going to suggest that the TS relay was maybe the wrong year. My dash indicators flash ONCE Brightly on the side the lever is pushed toward, then both flash dimly. I recall reading that there was a different TS relay for 73 and later cars, but frequently the earlier one is put in as a replacement and causes the symptoms I describe. But I DON'T have any initial ticking/ clicking like you describe.

there is a 914618 303 10 and a 30311. The 11 supercedes the 10 and sometimes causes funny behavior (like sizzling sounds when the em brake light is flashing) However that is what Porsche calls for and we use acceptably.
Spoke
QUOTE(kfieler @ Aug 15 2007, 06:03 PM) *

If you pull the hazard switch out EVER SO SLIGHTLY, do the turn signals work OK?

If everything works OK when you pull the hazard switch out lightly, it would seem that your switch is bad.

If your turnsignals still just flash once when the switch is out lightly, then you have 2 issues: the switch and another item yet to be determined.

Spoke
rhodyguy
interesting. this one is out of a 74'. is there supposed to be a diode/resistor as pictured?

k
kfieler
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 16 2007, 09:28 AM) *

interesting. this one is out of a 74'. is there supposed to be a diode/resistor as pictured?

k

Rhodyguy:

The hazard switch from my 1973 that I just cleaned ALSO has that resistor installed. F.Y.I.
kfieler

When I had the TS relay out of the car, I did not think to check the part number.

Judging from the condition of the TS relay (amount of dust on it, etc.), I believe it to be the original... or it was replaced by a PO a LONG time ago.

SGB and I have the same symptoms when it comes to the turn signals: "My dash indicators flash ONCE Brightly on the side the lever is pushed toward, then both flash dimly. " In addition to that, the "big red light" at the top of the fuel gauge is also flashing.

I feel like I did a comprehensive job rebuilding the hazard switch. Although I can't rule-out the switch completely, I am doubting it as being the cause.

I really like George's idea about looking at the master cylinder warning switch - especially when that switch can activate the flasher relay. Remember, this car sat for a long time before I got it and there definitely could be an issue with the master cylinder. As soon as I can get the car back in the air, I'll follow George's advise.

If it is not the master cylinder switch, I'm tempted to install a brand new TS relay... wouldn't hurt to have an extra one on hand anyway!

I want to thank you all for your help!

- Keith
kfieler
QUOTE(kfieler @ Aug 16 2007, 10:17 AM) *

When I had the TS relay out of the car, I did not think to check the part number.

Judging from the condition of the TS relay (amount of dust on it, etc.), I believe it to be the original... or it was replaced by a PO a LONG time ago.

SGB and I have the same symptoms when it comes to the turn signals: "My dash indicators flash ONCE Brightly on the side the lever is pushed toward, then both flash dimly. " In addition to that, the "big red light" at the top of the fuel gauge is also flashing.

I feel like I did a comprehensive job rebuilding the hazard switch. Although I can't rule-out the switch completely, I am doubting it as being the cause.

I really like George's idea about looking at the master cylinder warning switch - especially when that switch can activate the flasher relay. Remember, this car sat for a long time before I got it and there definitely could be an issue with the master cylinder. As soon as I can get the car back in the air, I'll follow George's advise.

If it is not the master cylinder switch, I'm tempted to install a brand new TS relay... wouldn't hurt to have an extra one on hand anyway!

I want to thank you all for your help!

- Keith

Okay, I think I found the root cause of the problem:

I RELEASED THE HANDBRAKE!

This car, being my first 914 and not having had the opportunity to drive it yet, I didn't know that the flasher relay would go on when the ignition is on and the handbrake is applied. When I released the handbrake, the flashing stopped!

Also, the turn signals are now working as they should.

Looks like I'm "good to go"!

- Keith
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.