Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thunderhill
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
ppickerell
Herr Mueller mentioned in a previous thread about renting Thunderhill for a private event. I would like to hear more about this. I love the idea of a 914 event there. Does not have to be exclusively 914 though. I have not been there but picked up all of their literature at the Moscone center car show. Cool story what with the f%%k you I'll build my own track concept.
Joe Bob
I'm in....
rick 918-S
Did a search for Thunder Hill. Which one? where exactly is Thunder Hill?
nine14cats
I really like Thunderhill. It's alot of fun to drive.

Thunderhill Park

I'd be interested....

Bill P.
ppickerell
It is on Northern California up- towards Redding. I wanna see the concourse guys pray.gif rallyin in the dirt lol2.gif .
L8Apex
I am in, as long as I can make it that day. that said, if you don't have a car, you can rent one of my buddy's spec miatas. see link below (marketing student in training)

Terrance
Joe Bob
QUOTE(L8Apex @ Dec 19 2003, 04:53 PM)
I am in, as long as I can make it that day. that said, if you don't have a car, you can rent one of my buddy's spec miatas. see link below (marketing student in training)

Terrance

What happens if ya stuff a rental into a wall?
drew365
The POC will be at Thunderhill Oct.8,9,10. When it gets closer I'll post info if anyone might be interested. They have a new DE class where you don't have to have a Time Trial license to run and it's less restrictive on the entry rules. Also they'll be at Laguna Seca Aug. 20 - 22.
SirAndy
i think it was something like $3000 a day. included corner workers and ambulance on site ...

Andy
ppickerell
I have asked myself how much I would pay to run Laguna Seca in a decent car. I attended the historics and the LeMans there in the last few years and I have dreams about running that track. Spec Miatas are the coolest concept. Everybody has the same car, it's the driver that matters. Andy, do you mean 3K per driver? What would that open class at the POC event at Thunderhill track run per driver?
ChrisReale
If its $3K per driver, Im out. $3K a day for a group of meatheads, Im in. smilie_pokal.gif
drew365
I'm not positive on the DE class entry fees for the POC but probably about $125 per day. They are currently experimenting on offering a way to get more casual entrants that aren't ready to go full Joe Racer (or Ricky Racer if you prefer laugh.gif ).
seanery
sounds like Touring Car Club to me.
Gint
It sounds like a PCA DE event. Around here we get in a weekend for under $100.
SirAndy
QUOTE(ppickerell @ Dec 19 2003, 05:51 PM)
Andy, do you mean 3K per driver?

as i said in my post, if memory serves right, it was $3000 a day to rent the track (thunderhill), including corner workers and ambulance on site ...

the track, as in all of it, the whole, complete, in one piece. rolleyes.gif

split that with a few people and you have more seat-time per driver than you can handle. (read: sore rear-end at the end of the day) ...
Andy
ChrisReale
Shoot, if there is 15 people, that means $200 a pop. Bring a BBQ and meat and fruit an shit and make it an event clap56.gif
Kevin@ojai.net
I worked there for a few hours during the enduro at the begining of the month, it looks like a fun track...

-Kevin
siverson
I'm in too.

-Steve
Brad Roberts
Seriously ??

It takes about 25 people to make it decent price wise...and we will probably only get a day in the middle of the week.

I noticed several people with hands raised saying "I'm in" Its a 5 hour drive from San Jose and about a 12 hour drive from Diego.

I can make it happen. We ran open track events alot in the past. I know all the people involved and could round up instructors.

I will tell you right now.. that you have to have a real racing helmet a not some BS Motorcycle crap.

Buttonwillow would be better. We would get more LA guy's and its only 3.5 hours south of San Jose. It also has a lot of runnoff room and will be cheaper to rent.

B
fiid
I'm in. There are a few groups running events already though (NCRC) that will run events for us if we ask them nicely. They had a very full schedule this year and are starting to run some low-rules vintage style racing as well.

I have heard that laguna is hard to get because it has a different insurance situation to the other local tracks and you need to have more stuff together to get it.

Mmmmm track time. driving.gif MDB2.gif Got to get my Eibachs on this weekend and lower my front end some.

Fiid.
fiid
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Dec 20 2003, 12:21 AM)
I will tell you right now.. that you have to have a real racing helmet a not some BS Motorcycle crap.

Where do I go locally that I can try some on for size and get one that fits right?

Or do I have to mail order a bucket and pour expandafoam in it and jam my head in???? (not good).
Brad Roberts
Frey Racing in Fremont or come north to Sears point and visit Wine Country Motorsports.

B
L8Apex
What happens if ya stuff a rental into a wall?

The contract says they are liable for every damage done to the car. Even flat spotted tires and blown engines not caused by normal wear and tear, but with people like shifting at 10K RPM's every time.
Scott Carlberg
QUOTE(fiid @ Dec 20 2003, 12:41 AM)
I'm in. There are a few groups running events already though (NCRC) that will run events for us if we ask them nicely. They had a very full schedule this year and are starting to run some low-rules vintage style racing as well.

Yes, true, agree.gif

See Saturday, December 27th (in the year of our Lord 2003) on our calendar.
VegasRacer
Just wanting to add another option.
Spring Mountain Motor Sports Park is Pahrump is very reasonable.

Las Vegas Motor Speedway is expensive for the outside road course.
The rental price for the big track is astronomical.
Qarl
I wonder what a day at Daytona costs? Should I investigate? Just kidding!
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(fiid @ Dec 20 2003, 12:41 AM)
I have heard that laguna is hard to get because it has a different insurance situation to the other local tracks and you need to have more stuff together to get it.

they've also got at least one onsite driving school that's on track just about every weekday. and they are serious about their 92 dBA sound limit (i refuse to refer to the music of any Porsche engine through straight pipes as 'noise' ...)
Mueller
One of the best days of my life that will be in my memory banks for years and years MDB2.gif

Recap:

Brad mentioned to me that Butch (owner of Tigger,which used to be called Julius by Brad and everyone else) was going to a private run session up at TH with no more than 5 cars total that day......since Butch did not have a truck and trailer, he asked Brad if he can help get the car up to the track, of course Brads payment would be to get to drive the car as well.

I hinted to Brad that I'd happily take a day off of work to do that....next thing I know Brad said he cannot make it and that Butch still needs help getting the car to the track, so of course I call Butch offering to help out.

I pick up Julius the night before (it was cool to have a "race" car sitting on the trailer in front of my house for a day, LOL) and get my stuff ready for the next day.....Butch said to bring my helmet (yippee!!)

So we show up to the track, where is everyone???
Only two race cars there , one being us and the other one being the Formula Renault brought by the guy that rented the track....the other three guys bailed, it's only going to be two cars all day...bummer eh???

We fire up Julius and Butch takes off onto the track for about 30 minutes, come back in and says it is my turn....I'm thinking this is going to be a fun two or three laps, nope turns out I can go out for about the same time...oh boy!!!!....so pretty much all day, Butch and I trade seats after being out of the track for a half an hour or there abouts smile.gif

The Formula car was only on the track for I'd say 1 hour total for the day, he just bought it and was doing a lot of setup on the car so they'd go out for a few laps then bring it back in for more adjustments.

Finally at about 4:30pm, Butch and I decided to pack it in, we could still go out for another 30 minutes, but both of us had been getting too tired mentally and physicaly to safely drive out there on the course, I now have more respect for race car drivers, it sure can be taxing on the body and mind blink.gif

I still think Brad bailed on purpose to allow me to "help" Butch, and believe me, I'm not complaining, hahaha
Mueller
the "other" car......
ppickerell
Ok, I'm definitely in. How about spring 04? April maybe? Thunderhill? I can help organize. Brad, will my car be ready by then? Don't make me bring the wifes car! Don't make me rent a spec Miata. Maybe Ian F. will loan me a 911 since he got such a good deal selling me my car.
Tony C
T-hill is now about tripple of what andy is quoting. Insurance has gone through the roof the past year. Also B, T-hill is 3 hours towing at 70mph from my shop in milpitas.

-tony
ppickerell
Triple, $9000 ohmy.gif ? Probably not gonna happen as strictly a 914club event mad.gif .
seanery
Buttonwillow is similar to the prices listed earlier.

Buttonwillow Rates
seanery
Willow Springs' Big Track is a deal during the week.

Willow Springs Rate Sheet
SirAndy
QUOTE(Tony C @ Dec 20 2003, 10:40 AM)
T-hill is now about tripple of what andy is quoting.

it sais $3500 to $5000 for midweek days on their website. full track.
http://www.thunderhill.com/prodserv.html

Andy
SirAndy
i didn't even know they had a skid-pad. smile.gif

there goes the x-mas bonus laugh.gif
Andy
ppickerell
So I'm no Steve McQueen here,help me out. Are we talking wheel to wheel racing driving.gif
Brad Roberts
No. But you are on the track at the same time with other drivers. It cannot be called a "race" in the eyes of the insurance companies.

Oh.. yes you will have a nice engine/tranny and all the suspension sorted by Feb.

B
ppickerell
Brad,
That rocks smilie_pokal.gif . I just found out I get a tax refund this year. First time in 7 years. I can bring up the tranny from my 75 roller any time you want. That way I can drive the 73 until engine retirement day. I may put the 1.7 in the 75 and let my son have it. But doubt he would be satisfied long. If we can get out there this spring he will be taking laps in the car with the freshy engine and tranny.
L8Apex
they rarely use the skid pad. The only time they use it is during the drift event in january.
SirAndy
damm, willow springs is cheap. we could get that track for a day easy.
it's more "central" than TH ...

Andy
Brad Roberts
Your dont want to be there in June. It is way to far away from the event area. You also have to crossover the BIG pass with the windmills that we went ove after Bakersfield (coming from the SF area)

Buttonwillow is a better thought (in my book)

B
drew365
I certainly wouldn't complain about an event at Willow Springs. smile.gif
ppickerell
L8apex,
What would you do, hire a car hauler and take 4 or 5 spec Miatas up for when the 914's break down huh.gif ?
ppickerell
It seems like the two tracks are equidistant from so and no cal. Either would work for me. I like April, as that will give me time to break in a new motor!
drew365
Buttonwillows cool too. I like Buttonwillow! smile.gif
L8Apex
What would you do, hire a car hauler and take 4 or 5 spec Miatas up for when the 914's break down  ?

Actually, that is possible. smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif I have acess to a 2 maybe 3 car hauler. laugh.gif
PatW
QUOTE(L8Apex @ Dec 20 2003, 06:25 PM)
What would you do, hire a car hauler and take 4 or 5 spec Miatas up for when the 914's break down  ?

Actually, that is possible. I have acess to a 2 maybe 3 car hauler.

Serious?

If you are willing to bring the Miatas. I would be interested in getting the seat time.

Pat
ppickerell
Let's do a club rental on the Miatas and that way you could get seat time in your car and the spec car. Which would turn in the better time given the same driver, a stock 2.0 or the Miata?
Brad Roberts
Miata. Its take a fully prepped stock injected 2.0 to stay with a mediocre Miata driver. We can out handle them.. but they have 10/15 HP on us and pull us slighty on the straights.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.