Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nasty little vermen
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skline
This is like the 3rd or 4th one of these I have eliminated from my garage, this time I tried a new trap, the humane catch sticky trap. I put them out a few days ago and was getting discouraged until this morning. This is what I found when I came out to the garage. Now, should I take him out to a field and put vegetable oil on it for a safe release? Or should I shoot the little bastard between the eyes with my pellet rifle? The other option is to just toss him in the trash can and let him get picked up by the trash men this morning in which case he will either be crushed or starve to death, I think the BB between the eyes is the quickest. What do you think?

Keeping in mind all the damage these things did to my stuff........... ar15.gif
rhodyguy
scott, do you keep any human, pet, bird food in the garage? something is attracting them. any idea how they're getting in? pellet then garbage. it's just a rat. flea infested desease carrying pests. they can live quite sometime without food.

k
degreeoff
I agree with killing it! last one I caught MANY moons ago was a big sucker and mean too! beat it to death with a shovel.

Josh
pba110
if you end up letting it go, just make sure you do it far, far from your house...it will just come back.
of course you could always... chowtime.gif
zymurgist
.22 to the head. It may be vermin, but it shouldn't suffer.
Eric_Shea
Humane is the old style spring loaded head whackers.

Lights out.
TROJANMAN
It looks like you scared the shit out of it laugh.gif

Kill the fucher.

Or mail it to a PETA representative.
GWN7
next time a dab of peanut butter in the middle of the trap

Float test it in a bucket of water
Spoke
Run it over with your 914.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(skline @ Aug 16 2007, 12:17 PM) *

...Now, should I take him out to a field and put vegetable oil on it...

I may be the only one here who thinks the field and vegetable oil are the right thing to do....

....Make a picnic out of it. Bring a pan, nice bottle of red or white (not sure what goes best), some vegetable oil, shallots, salt n pepper, you may want to freeze that one until you catch a few more biggrin.gif
zymurgist
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 16 2007, 02:39 PM) *

....Make a picnic out of it. Bring a pan, nice bottle of red or white (not sure what goes best), some vegetable oil, shallots, salt n pepper, you may want to freeze that one until you catch a few more biggrin.gif

Fresh rat-atouille... chowtime.gif
PatW
I prefer the natural method. He's a good mouse/rat/bird/lizard/spider/squirrel catcher .. biggrin.gif

Funny thing. Neighbors moved out and left him behind, a few weeks later he showed up at me front door all stick and bones. After I fatted him up he rewarded me with plenty of dead critters at my front door. blink.gif I think he's mostly Maine Coon at 15 pounds.
skline
I have no rats or mice or anything else that crawls in the night inside the house, I have my little guards on duty all the time. They begged me to bring it in for them to play with but because of the fleas and other things these carry, I opted not to.

I shot it in the head with a Powermaster 760 that I got from the great Dr.Evil before he parted from the west coast. Thanks again Mike! ar15.gif

The two in the pic below are the newest additions to our den. Axle and Zeus, They will grow up to be fine hunters like my favorite cat Suavecito, Malo was startled by the rat this morning so I question his abilities, Suavecito tried to come through the window to attack the rat.
GTeener
confused24.gif What's the point of using a humane trap if you're just going to kill 'em?

Set him free smile.gif
skline
QUOTE(GTeener @ Aug 16 2007, 03:23 PM) *

confused24.gif What's the point of using a humane trap if you're just going to kill 'em?

Set him free smile.gif

It was all that was available at the store when I went. I actually prefer the snap traps.
VaccaRabite
Killing it was the best thing to do.

Groundhogs, rats and rabbits need to die (but I eat the rabbits).

Zach
VaccaRabite
This post reminded me of a a past time in Baltimore.

Rat fishing.

B-more has a HUGE rat problem. For a few years, casting a hook and line baited with cheese or peanut butter into an ally was really popular. Caught rats were drowned in buckets of water. Neighborhoods actually planned tounaments with prizes for most rats caught, largest rat, etc.

PETA eventually waddled in and made a BIG stink about it, and it faded from popularity.

its for reasons like this that I think PETA can suck it.

Zach
Bogaat
Check this one out. Found him after pulling my engine for the first time a few months ago...

Click to view attachment
KELTY360
QUOTE(Bogaat @ Aug 16 2007, 07:06 PM) *

Check this one out. Found him after pulling my engine for the first time a few months ago...

Click to view attachment

Looks like he fell through the hell hole. happy11.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 16 2007, 12:39 PM) *

I may be the only one here who thinks the field and vegetable oil are the right thing to do....

Rats are like scallops - the smaller the tastier!
No, extra virgin olive oil. Shallots good. A few field dressed summer tomatoes, little basil, touch of fresh garlic. Serve over angel hair pasta al dente. Oh, you really should dress the rat before cooking - reduces hairballs & tastes a lot better.

Mmmm, good eatin'

First blush would say "not just any red". Petite sirah ( about mid '80's) would really top this off (Napa Valley, of course - Sonoma, if you must).

Yeah, like quail, you need more than one. Much better than monkey! LOTSA flavor (don't ask what the flavor is!).

PETA sanctioned - well, maybe not.
bdstone914
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Aug 16 2007, 08:59 AM) *

It looks like you scared the shit out of it laugh.gif

Kill the fucher.

Or mail it to a PETA representative.

owned.gif agree.gif
Mr.C
QUOTE(Spoke @ Aug 16 2007, 11:15 AM) *

Run it over with your 914.

LMAO!!
Aaron Cox
i was hoping this was a ' I found a chalon - how do i kill it'? thread poke.gif
boxstr
This had made a home in a 912 I was selling.
boxstr
Yes that is the RAT phone, I think he realized he was in trouble when he stepped inside the metal chamber and the smell of peanut butter tipped him off to TROUBLE.
CCLINRATCAMP
zymurgist
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Aug 16 2007, 09:26 PM) *

Killing it was the best thing to do.

Groundhogs, rats and rabbits need to die (but I eat the rabbits).

Zach

You're welcome to catch as many rabbits as you want at my place. My dog won't chase anything without a tail (i.e., squirrels and cats only). Besides, she's pushing 13 and the chase would tire her out.

BTW, PETA can suck it for many more reasons... my top reason is the fact that they kill 90 percent of the animals that they accept from people who trust them to find a home.

PETA Kills Animals
GTeener
Stewed Rat
Skin and eviscerate the rat and split it lengthwise. Fry until brown in a mixture of butter and peanut oil. Cover with water, add tomatoes or tomato purée, hot red peppers, and salt. Simmer the rat until tender and serve with rice.
GTeener
[url=http://www.bertc.com/cooking_rats.htm]Calvin W. Schwabe in his book Unmentionable Cuisine (Charlottesville, Virginia: University of Virginia Press, 1979, available from Amazon Books), says that North Americans should be using many forms of protein which are routinely consumed in other parts of the world. The following exerpts are from a section of the book giving recipes for cooking rats and mice.
"Brown rats and roof rats were eaten openly on a large scale in Paris when the city was under siege during the Franco-Prussian War. Observers likened their taste to both partridges and pork. And, according to the Larousse Gastronomique, rats are still eaten in some parts of France. In fact, this recipe appears in that famous tome.

Grilled Rats Bordeaux Style (Entrecote à la bordelaise)
Alcoholic rats inhabiting wine cellars are skinned and eviscerated, brushed with a thick sauce of olive oil and crushed shallots, and grilled over a fire of broken wine barrels.[/url]
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(GTeener @ Aug 17 2007, 03:42 PM) *

Stewed Rat
Skin and eviscerate the rat and split it lengthwise. Fry until brown in a mixture of butter and peanut oil. Cover with water, add tomatoes or tomato purée, hot red peppers, and salt. Simmer the rat until tender and serve with rice.

With this recipe, I think a Pinot Grigio or Chardonney would be better.

Note the grin - that little rat knows he/she'll be appreciated.

Yum!
skline
Good thing I already ate dinner before reading this, I lost my appetite after seeing this.

You guys are SICK!!!! barf.gif
GTeener
QUOTE(skline @ Aug 17 2007, 06:28 PM) *

Good thing I already ate dinner before reading this, I lost my appetite after seeing this.

You guys are SICK!!!! barf.gif

Au contraire mon frere,

To some people this IS what's for dinner

av-943.gif
beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.