Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - Datsun/BRE-Electromotive 1.8L
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DuckRyder
My friend must be the luckiest person in the world.

He buys a Datsun racing motor off E-Bay for not much money and the thing came today.

The block is ground smooth inside and out.

The Rods look like they were melted they are so smooth and polished.

Venolia (SP?) Pistons.

Crank nearly as trick as the rods.

Head is a work of art.

Oil Pan has a "T" sump with 4 trap doors in it.

Every thing except the block itsself has NISMO part numbers.

He will end up with less in it than I've got in stock parts for a 2.0 rebuild.

I think I hate him. headbang.gif
URY914
Here's the 510.
boxstr
That looks like one of the five old school 510s that I built in the mid 70s.
God that brings back memories.
CCLINPL510DREAM
ChrisReale
I like those.....
URY914
I had an a HO slot car of the 510.
I drove the wheels off of it.

Paul
DuckRyder
Unfortunately his 510 doesn't look that good. But this motor was built for that team.

I forgot to mention the Electromotive L3 cam. Thing has what looks like a 90 degree ramp on one side of the lobe. .605 lift IIRC.

Can't wait to get it running.
maf914
Cool picture.

My second car was a 1971 510 two door. wub.gif I added Konis, big sway bars, 185/70 Uniroyals. My first performance mods! laugh.gif

I also changed the head gasket, got the cam gear timing wrong, and bent three valves, resulting in a valve job ($$$)! sad.gif Devastating at that age!

I used to go to the Tran-Am races and loved the BRE 510's in the 2.5 liter class. I built the Revell 1/24 BRE kit, which was a decent kit.

Mike
maf914
I just looked at the photo again. I always wanted those American Racing wheels, but never did get them.

Check out the wheels on the trailer! Does anyone besides me ever get sick of big chrome wheels?

Mike
Mueller
My first car (okay, my first running car, LOL) was a 510, loved it, I almost got back into 510's instead of the 914, I think I made the better choice????? smile.gif
MJHanna
QUOTE(maf914 @ Dec 20 2003, 08:35 AM)
Check out the wheels on the trailer!  Does anyone besides me ever get sick of big chrome wheels?
Mike

I used Stock GM wheels on this one did not have to carry a spare when I had the "burban to tow with. :mueba:The truck and the trailer all matched. The wheels gave it a finished look. Both the burban and the trailer were the same color white. cool.gif
DuckRyder
Looks like a "big tex".
MJHanna
Nope, it was Mongoose out a town north of Sherman, TX (Jim Bean). The loading ramps were built in. I had them extended as long as they could make them.
MJHanna
I quit worry about nice rims when I went to the trailer in the background.
DuckRyder
My buddy with the 510 has a Big Tex. It looks like the white one except for where the spare mounts and the rail o the front wraps around.

It was the only one we could find here with that type or ramp.

Every thing else had the ramps stored on the side and were a huge PITA.
URY914
Here's another one from my files...
URY914
I use to autox against a guy with a 510 in North Florida.
It was a little rocket.
The Minilites look great.

Paul
DuckRyder
These things are actually a bit of a cult car.

We need the set of flares like a BRE car for my buddys.

Best picture I have of it is:

IPB Image
L8Apex
Ooo wub.gif Panasports and Minilites are sexy.
DuckRyder
Our competition just posted that their CRX just dynoed 123 wheel horsepower and they are hoping to add 40 to it with an undisclosed round of modifications.

Should be an interesting year next year as the 510 should be in the 180 crank horsepower range.

He just ordered BRE replica front fenders and rear flares………….

Should be cool,

The 914 should be running as well, we will see how bad it is against the Miata hoard there. sad2.gif
boxsterfan
I love the 510's and there always many hanging out with the Z-car crowd. 510's have that early BMW profile that I think is cool.
L8Apex
Our competition just posted that their CRX just dynoed 123 wheel horsepower

You make me miss my CRX sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif
DuckRyder
Well, The Pro Solo is this weekend, but we won't make it unless its just to spectate.

We ended up having to replace the Cam with an ISKY due to spring issues. We did the cam Break in last night and he is working on cleaning up some stuff. Flares still have to be put on. And he's been promised the first set of 215/45/13 A3SO4's out of the moulds.

It sounds strong. Hopefully he will be able to drive it over here tomorrow to help with the 914. (Motor Drop) If I can get the heat exchangers fixed in time I'll fire the 914 off Sunday. clap56.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.