Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 ignition switch removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gint
Any idea how to get the heads off of the front of the screws holding the ignition switch in? I've heard "break them off" and "drill them out". I suppose I could drill them out, but that doesn't seem quite right either. I get the concept of the heads on the front side of the dash preventing you from screwing the screws out from the back, but how to break those heads off is the question.

Any great ideas out there? The dash is lying on my living room floor and totally portable so access isn't an issue. Search came up with a few threads with suggestions as mentioned before but no real details.
TROJANMAN
Didn't they use shear bolts?
I am pretty sure that they were designed NOT to be removed, so drilling them out may be the best bet, and then use a screw extractor bit.

Or you could try a dremel
Brian_Boss
Assuming they are the same as a 911, you drill the heads off the bolts with a drill slightly larger than the shank of the bolt.

The term shear bolt refers to the installation of the bolts. You tighten them then break off the drive part of the bolt. This is an external torx head on the later 911's.

Hope this helps,
Brian
RON S.

I've removed a lot of ignition switches from junked cars over the years,and almost every one of them had those ''Tamper Proof''bolts on them.

I've found out that they really are not fastened down all that tight.They are assembled with a shear off drive bit,and the shearing torque is really low when it was originally fastened down.

What I've found that has always worked for me is to grind a small pair of flats on the head,180 degrees apart with a Dremel,or a good file and grab the bolt head with a needle nose Vise Grip.Once the bolt turns just a little bit,you can twist it out the rest of the way by hand.

I've never had a pair of those bolts that I could not get out.A PITA for sure,but I've never resorted to a drill & re-threading.

Ron
Gint
That's the answer I was looking for. Thanks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.