Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OK pitch a bitch time. RENNSPD
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
degreeoff
OK so I got the caaaa off the rotisserie and was able to finally see how lovely and low she looks... time to see if the bumpers fit any better then the rest of the FG from the above..........SHIT! its all off by inches, not fractions of an inch at least an inch on both sides and the mounts are 1.5 +...absolute SHIT!! I will NEVER buy from them again...take my advice buy from a better shop pay MORE!! but save a boat load of work!

I am done mad.gif sawzall-smiley.gif

I cant wait to see what the rear looks like!

Click to view attachment
degreeoff
OK revised!..the rear bumper fits a hell of alot better....I guess they should stick out on both sides a bit more than I thought...anyone have exp in this area? I have to remember that it has been 7 years + since I had real 914 style bumpers on this car.....
dr914@autoatlanta.com
fiberglass is a real hassle to get right. Shrinkage twisting thinness trimming and proper mold making all contribute to s..t pieces that are to be tossed out the window. It is hard for a company making this stuff to make a profit by taking the time to hand lay it into the mold trim it precisely and fit it to a car they have on the premise to make sure it is right. We have seen the worst of the worst coming out of old established companies who are very well intended but who have cheap chopper gun labor and old molds. The satisfaction of low price is ruined by the ill fit of crap. The companies are quick to make it right, but are making so many pieces that they cannot check each one. PLUS they all tell the end user that the piece will need to be "fitted" What that means is anything from relocating the brackets to "bondoing" up anything from pin holes to flat spots to larger inperfectios, to building up edges where they are trimmed short to twisting the piece straight and cinching it down with the mounting hardware, to trimming a radius. A real nightmare.
Case in point, we ordered several gt front fiberglass bumpers for our so called "Last six" from our four different suppliers, having removed our own (and I may say) PERFECT 914 stock look fiberglass bumper, in favor of replacing it with the gt version with the oil cooler cutout. The pieces we received varied from total throw away junk that you would not even beat them over the head with, to perfect drop on fit light sanding and painting perfection!!!!! All of the prices were about the same as well.
Bottom line is that fiberglass is hard to get perfect. Please do not say that you will never buy again from the company, just call and complain about the work needed to get the piece right (or that the piece will never fit in a million years and that you need immediate replacement!!!
Phoenix-MN
My horror story with 916 fiberglass. They didn't fit worth a crap and required many many hours of work to get them to fit. Here are some progress and final pictures.
Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
I've been warning people here about them for years.

2 left mounts glassed into my front bumper
Hours of grind and cutting on the rear
2 splices needed on my front bumper
2 splices needed on my valance
Phoenix-MN
'nother

Click to view attachment
Phoenix-MN
'nother adding foam to build up center
Click to view attachment
Phoenix-MN
Done
Click to view attachment
Phoenix-MN
Final result
Click to view attachment
degreeoff
That 916 looks really nice! I am debating whether or not I wanna go through the hassle on it? I may just let them overhang the body left and right by the 1/2 inch or so that they do.....It'll prob get banged up racing anyway? But damn it pisses me off. IF I had to guess I'd say they have been making molds of molds and progressively got bigger and I hate to say it but doubt that they ever test fit to a car. erggggggghhhh!
JPB
Nice job on the fit bro. The bad part of all this FG stuff is that they will rub and eat throught some paint. Many Dynaglass and bondo their FG seams which make them a permanent deal. Non of the FG parts ever fit and all need triming. The worst pats for me was the mounts, they don't work either. beer.gif
jimtab
QUOTE(JPB @ Aug 18 2007, 10:22 AM) *

Nice job on the fit bro. The bad part of all this FG stuff is that they will rub and eat throught some paint. Many Dynaglass and bondo their FG seams which make them a permanent deal. Non of the FG parts ever fit and all need triming. The worst pats for me was the mounts, they don't work either. beer.gif

The problem with glassing the joints came up on my old car with the 916 kit. just one shallow driveway or whatever and you've got busted joints or torn f/g when it can't move....tough choice especially since most of the 916 type cars get a big lowering job to boot.... dry.gif
URY914
Thats why so many previous owners bondo the 916 and the IMSA front ends on to the cars. My street car has a IMSA bumper on it I bet there is a gallon can of bondo on it. I had a parts car that had a 916 front end and it was the same way.
degreeoff
well when time allows I'll post MORE updates...my resto thread.....After ALL the work I did to the skirts I just can't let the bumpers be so I am "fitting" them now and will have another day ahead of me to finish....can I PLEASE paint my car now???

SEPT. 15TH!!! OMG its fast approaching.....
East coaster
Doesn't it piss you off that if you owned a Hyundai or Honda you could buy 50 different bumpers that all fit nice, but 914 stuff fits like crap!

Some of the re-work I've seen folks do is more work than making the part from scratch. Someday maybe someone will make some quality fiberglass parts for the teener??
JPB
All the bumpers are the same, its just all the 914s are different. happy11.gif
neo914-6
QUOTE(JPB @ Aug 19 2007, 12:04 PM) *

All the bumpers are the same, its just all the 914s are different. happy11.gif

metal shrinks after 30+ years... av-943.gif

my Rennspeed bumper also overlapped at the corners but it didn't matter to me...
neo914-6
after countless hours of bodywork...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.