Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Update from Packwood NT
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Joe Ricard
So the Forndahl car is holding 1st in XP with a 55.6
Britain is holding down 1st in E Modified with a 57.4
and his faithful tire warmer is holding down DFL 60.7 WTF.gif

Come on ya'll This is easy JUST GO FASTER!!!!!!!!!!!!

grantsfo
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Aug , 07:07 PM)

So the Forndahl car is holding 1st in XP with a 55.6
Britain is holding down 1st in E Modified with a 57.4
and his faithful tire warmer is holding down DFL 60.7 WTF.gif

Come on ya'll This is easy JUST GO FASTER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cool! What was the big bad Cobra's time? I suspected that Britain would beat that car. Cobras make terrible AX cars.
Joe Ricard
Cobra 57.9 in 2nd place. Running DOT R's as the tire is listed as Kumho.

I am struggling with this dilema a lot Slicks or DOT.

I could run 275/35-15 Hoosier A6 and probably have a faster car.
but the cheap ass part of me get the slicks I am running for 80 bucks a pop as full tread take off's

Anyway back on topic I imagine our boys are out there walking the new course right now looking for that fast line where they can get back on the power earlier.
drgchapman
[/quote]
Cool! What was the big bad Cobra's time? I suspected that Britain would beat that car. Cobras make terrible AX cars.
[/quote]

agree.gif

Every Cobra I have seen is a doughnut maker.
The driver of this one must be pretty good to be that close to Brit.
Wish I was there, but I'm here at the The Concours in Monterey. Crazy bunch of expensive old cars.
rhodyguy
if they're running in packwood today it'll be slick as snot. plenty-o-rain this am on pavement (old log yard) that's been baking in the sun for a few weeks. the pavement has some undulations and standing water in the low spots. i would expect slower times and perhaps a few dnfs.

k
Joe Ricard
Well it looks to be over.

Don't understand the results and of course they are not official.

Looks like Britain got a trophy anyway. But as I see it he should have pulled 1st.

http://www.scca.com/Event/Event.asp

J P Stein
It did indeed rain.
Brit had the field covered but on the 2nd day, screwed the pooch.....2 DNFs(lost) & a cone on the other.
My job is to warm up the tires & stink up the joint. The rain made it hard to do the former on the 2nd day but I got all else right.

Grant is right, most Cobras sux at AX. We had one of those that didn't in EM & one that did in XP. The guy in EM takes pride in getting his snake to do things that most Cobras won't and likes to make folks scratch their heads bout that....kinda like 914 guys.biggrin.gif

The lessons here are:

Guys at the NT events are serious about AX and if you give them an opening, they're on it like flys on shit. A whole lot of that went on on day 2.

The course walk is NOT a social hour.

I gots pics & vids....later.
Chris Pincetich
JP - thanks for the update - I'm lookin forward to reading more beerchug.gif
Open top 914 with slicks in the rain? Say it isn't so!
914forme
Confused also, but it looks to be the 2 day total. And yes the math is correct, that Jetta pulled it off. First set is Saturday, the second set is Sunday.
drgchapman
A Jetta????????????

Oh, Brit, I'm so sorry.

I didn't give those VW's a chance at all against you in the Shitbox.
rhodyguy
pretty slim margins. cool place. fwd was on the rabbit's side. do you carry rain tires jp? sorry it rained...washington.

k
J P Stein
Gary:
It wasn't so much getting beat, rather giving it away. We were in the 2nd run group (of 5). Sat was no problem tho a bit cool & a dirty course...not as bad as the 1st guys tho. Brit did a 57 on his first run....bout a second off the fastest of the 1st group, then DNFed his next run so had to be conservative on his last.

I was working on it on my last run, but did a giant tank slapper on the starting slalom
& I was all done.

The course was wet on Sunday for the first 2 groups....drying out on the 3rd, then dry for 4 & 5. Brit had his problems and I was just slow.

To the pics:
A Mod....you ain't seen a fast AX till ya see this thing run. In the 51s on Sat....4-5 sec faster than all door slammers.
Enuff well thought out engineering & fabrication (nothing off the shelf)
to satisfy the most craven racecar geek.
J P Stein
An old school A Mod. Looks like some type of early formula car chassis.
Turboed T-1 (me thinks) with water coolers heads, well sorted & built...2nd fastest, but took the class as the first fella didn't want to test (which this was to him) in the rain.
J P Stein
We gots stickies now, by gawd.
Then there's the Smith clan.....

No rains, Kevin.
drgchapman
Ah, the Vancouver Special.
Love the way that guy cleans up the track!
Way FAST!!!!!!
He would look very cool with a rainbow running behind him...........

So Brit....Choked.? Not his style.

Dem Stickies look gud.
J P Stein
QUOTE(drgchapman @ Aug 20 2007, 05:35 PM) *

So Brit....Choked.? Not his style.

Well.....I didn't wanna just come out and say that, but YES, damnit. biggrin.gif
grantsfo
Where do they race those cars? Hillclimbs? Or is there some other series?
Joe Ricard
Yea hill climbs and time trial (old SOLO 1)
A mod cars are freaking nuts.
grantsfo
JP, I'm curious about your cars SCCA classification. How did you go with E Mod. My car is similar just with less displacement / little more weight and I was thinking it would go in XP.
Joe Ricard
1640 pounds with 1971cc
There is a calculation in the 2007 rule book.

There is something I remember about baby blue cars not being eligible.
J P Stein
The class minimum for XP with a 2.7L mid engine car is 1781, W/O driver...according to the convoluted rules. The SCCA scales said I was at 1739 and I had no ballast with me nor provisions for mounting any. confused24.gif

The first A Mod car shown in the pics was built specifically for autocross.
Them Canucks have an affinity for the weird, me thinks.....maybe it's the long winters.biggrin.gif
URY914
That red car looks a bit dated. The white car looks like the National A-Mods. I've got a collection of photos of those cars. The wings look like World of Outlaw sprinter cars.
nebreitling
congrats, brit -- that's a nice accomplishment!
J P Stein
How'sa bout a vid?....OK.biggrin.gif
The audio sucks, but it's better than last time. I'm workin' on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYtST_N5Flc
Joe Ricard
How can you tell it was a 914 in car vid?

rumble rumble ernch (selects 1st gear) rumble rumble vroom.

Hey JP ya know these cars got more than 2 gears. sounds like you stayed in 2nd the whole course.

J P Stein
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Aug 22 2007, 07:47 PM) *

Hey JP ya know these cars got more than 2 gears. sounds like you stayed in 2nd the whole course.

Really?
I thought there was just the 2........
A data logger in a real fast CSP Miata said 55mph was his top speed on that course.
I did get on the limiter once in #2.....62 mph. You may have noticed the "straights" were few & far between....not to mention short.biggrin.gif
Joe Ricard
That's why I put the flipped ZD for 3rd gear.

6250 old motor rev limit was not fast enough for me in 2nd gear. Plus the car was harder to drive in 2nd at or near the rev limiter.

I rather shift to 3rd and stay on my 4 banger torque. If I remember right I get about 67 in 3rd.

Ah the differences between 4's and 6's.

New higher rev limit 7K should really change the whole ball game.
grantsfo
I'm just amazed at how many stock class cars beat up on prepared and modifieds. Nothing like slicker surface to equalize things for everyone.
Joe Ricard
Not really, Super Stock cars are probably the fastest cars out there as far as real cars go.

There is of course the driver factor. SS guys buy "THE CAR" to put them in a position to win. Z06 Vette, Sport Elise, GT3. They also can drive really well.

Some prepared cars and Street mod cars are very fast but also very expensive. The two FD Mazdas in SM-2 easily have 80-100K invested. Stans Vette in XP is an absolute engineering marvel that tops 120K.

Point is you got to pay to play. 10K 914 like mine nicking the heels of the vette is nothing to dismiss. But I'll never be able to afford what it will take to close that last few seconds

J P Stein
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Aug 22 2007, 11:33 PM) *

I'm just amazed at how many stock class cars beat up on prepared and modifieds. Nothing like slicker surface to equalize things for everyone.

Equalize?...not hardly. Both Brit & I, for instance, were about 6 seconds slower in the wet on a course that was about 2 seconds faster than the day before when it dried during the 3rd run group.

The hardcore guys had rain tires, some were just street tires, others were racing rains. The racing rains had it all over the street tires. Hoosier makes rains while Kuhmo doesn't. Those who had the right tire sponser were in biddness.

Joe is right......drivers make the difference. Most guys don't need the hassle of fooling around with a highly modified car and there is little incentive for doing so, thus most of the best drivers are in the stock or lesser modified classes.
grantsfo
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Aug , 04:45 AM)

......drivers make the difference. Most guys don't need the hassle of fooling around with a highly modified car and there is little incentive for doing so, thus most of the best drivers are in the stock or lesser modified classes.

Clearly! There has never been any doubt in my mind on that point. Thats why I drag my Mazdas to SCCA C and D stock events.
J P Stein
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Aug 23 2007, 06:45 AM) *

Clearly! There has never been any doubt in my mind on that point. Thats why I drag my Mazdas to SCCA C and D stock events.

Sure, can't blame you, but we gearheads march to the beat of our own drummer. biggrin.gif
Joe Ricard
You drag your Mazdas.

Hmm I drive my XP car to events. I drive the RX-8 to events also, so much easier.
grantsfo
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Aug 23 2007, 01:20 PM) *

You drag your Mazdas.

Hmm I drive my XP car to events. I drive the RX-8 to events also, so much easier.

Not all that tough when you have everything all setup to tow. And my wife likes being able leave me at AX events to go shopping or to walk the dog on the beach. Easy to just unhitch the trailer and she is off for fun in the truck while I'm playing parking lot racer.

Also gets a bit crowded in car if I want to include my wife, 55lb dog and all our gear.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.