914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
carr914
A See-Through Floor
carr914
Fred Flintstone would have loved this car
carr914
I could just strangle the idiot that let this happen

carr914
BUT, I will bring this car back to life. It might take 10 years (I hope there's still gas left). Heck my other Carrera project is in year 3.

T.C.
URY914
Maybe its like those glass bottom boats at Silver Springs?
TROJANMAN
That's a very cool car. Do you have any pics of the rest of it?

carr914
Actually the top of the car looks pretty good. The doors are nice, both front fenders are OK. The hood is shot, the idiot sanded it down, never put anything on it and now it's like the surface of the moon. The inside of the hood was perfect.
It had the wrong motor (anybody want a 73 911E motor for a conversion?)

T.C.
Ferg
blink.gif My 75 Carrera came with that same option rolleyes.gif

Ferg
GeorgeRud
I had a 75 Targa with exactly the same option. We carefully cut out and replaced the rusted sections and thought we were done. After a few years, we had the same look on the metal next to the new stuff. Be very carefull to get all solid metal before spending more money.

If I was doing it again, I would absolutely take the car down to bare frame and have it blasted or acid dipped so you really know what you're facing and what needs replacing.

Just my experience. We ended up taking the car apart and transplanting the good mechanical parts to a 914 chassis to make my 914-6GT replica, and sold off the good body panels. Though the car looked great from the top, if you knew what you were looking for, I didn't consider the car safe. I wouldn't sell it as a driver, only as parts.
srthompson01
In my youth I owned a VW bub that was heading that direction, I repaired the floorboards with panels salvaged from a used washing machine.

VERY heavy, enameled. Freaking bulletproof. After 7 years they still looked like new.
Eric_Shea
Yikes... Daytona Beach car?

VERY odd because Porsche began zinc dipping the floor pans in 71 and the entire 911 tub in 76. In "many" cases, the floor was all that was left of a 911
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.