Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is a ball park figure to have tranny rebuilt ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
levonfarra
This is for a 74 2.0

thanks you,

Levon
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(levonfarra @ Aug 20 2007, 01:03 PM) *

This is for a 74 2.0

thanks you,

Levon

two grand. No one can do it for less who replaces the proper parts and has the proper tools. (unless they are your uncle)
SLITS
A bunch for a full rebuild .... $2500+ last time I heard .... that's pretty well new everything except for gears.

Not the answer you wanted? ........

PM Dr Evil on this board. He'll give you a price.

or

Since you are in SoCal .... PM Thomas (The Kraut) .... he may be able to do it / guide you on it.

Sorry George .... you hit it before me.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
The problem is the price of the parts these days. Brand new syncros (five required) used to cost eight bucks each and we sold them for 15 bucks. NOW they cost us 48.00 each! 1st reverse slider used to cost us 115.00 and now costs 295.00. dog teeth used to cost 51 each and now cost 91 each. A 914 needs five of the former and multiples of the latter. One can imagine that it is easy to spend a grand in parts alone, and these days the gearboxes are all hammered.
jimkelly
what weird things is your's currently doing ?

jim
PeeGreen 914
Weird Dr. I get all my parts at cost from world pac, and the price you are saying is a bit higher than what I can get them for. Why is that?
levonfarra
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Aug 20 2007, 01:39 PM) *

jim

It is not my car. It is a another car that I might consider buying. The owner told me the fork on the first gear is broken and you can not get it into gear.

idea.gif
PeeGreen 914
You may be able to find some people that have a few transmissions laying around that are still in good condition. I have five up here, and I know that there are people down near you that have stock piles of parts like me. As in another post in anyone has a good transmission they are willing to part with for free or cheap. It would be much less than having on rebuilt. If you do a rebuild yourself it will run about 700 at cost. I would advise knowing what you're doing though;)
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(levonfarra @ Aug 20 2007, 01:44 PM) *

jim

It is not my car. It is a another car that I might consider buying. The owner told me the fork on the first gear is broken and you can not get it into gear.

idea.gif

Close to 35 years of doing 914 trannies tells me the fork's not broken....... Bad slider/ring/dog teeth. The Cap'n
levonfarra
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 20 2007, 02:19 PM) *

QUOTE(levonfarra @ Aug 20 2007, 01:44 PM) *

jim

idea.gif

Close to 35 years of doing 914 trannies tells me the fork's not broken....... Bad slider/ring/dog teeth. The Cap'n

Not sure what that means, but thats what the current owner told me. Excuse my ignorance, but is a broken fork not a correct statement ?
SirAndy
QUOTE(levonfarra @ Aug 20 2007, 01:31 PM) *

Not sure what that means, but thats what the current owner told me. Excuse my ignorance, but is a broken fork not a correct statement?

i think what The Cap'n™ is trying to say is that his 35 years of experience make him doubt that the fork is broken and he's betting his money on other parts as the source of the problem ...
bye1.gif Andy
kart54
Levon,
If your in encino call Otto at Otto's in venice or Performance products just down the street from you. There is a shop right by Perfromance that very likely has a trans you can buy and will install it. Otto probably has one laying around as well.
Randy
Dr Evil
Damn, I am getting raped on parts prices according to what George posted dry.gif And I got a friend that gets them directly through worldpac.

Levon, PM me and we can talk if you want. I have access to a lot of cores and can build one and send it to you. The chances of the fork being brinken are slim and none. Can it get into reverse? That is not possible if the fork is broke, and the forks not the part that breaks. The synchro band wears out, the slider teeth go blunt, and the dog teeth go blunt. The teeth on the slider and the dog teeth need to be engaged for the gear to be selected...no teeth, no gear. This is the most and very common problem.
jimkelly
if you are getting raped over GH prices - then you are really getting the shaft over Blood red 914-6gt's prices. jim

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 20 2007, 11:50 PM) *

Damn, I am getting raped on parts prices according to what George posted dry.gif And I got a friend that gets them directly through worldpac.

Levon, PM me and we can talk if you want. I have access to a lot of cores and can build one and send it to you. The chances of the fork being brinken are slim and none. Can it get into reverse? That is not possible if the fork is broke, and the forks not the part that breaks. The synchro band wears out, the slider teeth go blunt, and the dog teeth go blunt. The teeth on the slider and the dog teeth need to be engaged for the gear to be selected...no teeth, no gear. This is the most and very common problem.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.