Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: An Introduction of sorts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MadMax
I'm new here figued I'd introduce myself. I'm a Porsche and aircooled VW nut since my first car a 74 beetle at age 16. I've had over 30 early vw's and on my third P-car a v-ram 993. First Porsche was a 72 914 that broke in half! I bought a 2004 Boxster and then the 993. My wife and I just had our first child so After much deliberation I've decided to sell my 96 993 C2 to free up some cash.
I've decided to go back with my favorite Porsche the 914. I'm currently shopping for a nice original car that I can purchase. I want to go with the a 916 look with a STI engine and 915 trans. I will be using the Renigade conversion kit with 911 suspension, cup wheels, and steel flares.
If anyone has any good links on this conversion It would be appreciated.
I have a bit of a problem with speed. After much research the 914/subaru hybrid seems like it was Made for me!

Some pictures of my cars:
first is my 993 that is currently for sale, then my 59 euro RHD deluxe sunroof beetle I'm restoring
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
SirAndy
welcome.png

nice parts-car!
biggrin.gif Andy
MadMax
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 20 2007, 07:01 PM) *

welcome.png

nice parts-car!
biggrin.gif Andy

Still trying to figure out how to sell the 993 minus the engine. Maybe they won't notice its missing smile.gif
I love your car SirAndy. It sounds just like my 993 with my fabspeed supercup exhaust aka straight pipes. I actually followed your link from Pelican parts to find this website! I am still torn between building a 3.6L 993 powered 914-6 or the much cheaper subaru sti powered one. Maybe I can convince the wife to let me build one of each!IPB Image
SLITS
welcome.png

"Cheap is good" 914 motto!
Johny Blackstain
welcome.png

BTW- there is no such creature as a "cheap" Porsche... they're all expensive.
SLITS
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Aug 20 2007, 05:46 PM) *

welcome.png

BTW- there is no such creature as a "cheap" Porsche... they're all expensive.

You just HAD to blow the illusion didn't you av-943.gif
Chuck
welcome.png I'm in the process of restoring a '73 914. I will be using the WRX 2.0 turbo engine and transmission for my car.

If you want to go cheap, well, I've never seen cheap and 915 transmission used in the same sentence. Renegade sells the kit, with the KEP parts, for using the stock 901 transmission with the subie motor. If you run a search here, you will find that there are a few people that are using the subie transmission along with the subie motor. Porcharu is currently putting together a kit, with custom axels for using the subie transmission. It is my hope to use this setup.

Another member, Amenson, is currently putting an STI motor into his 914. The STI requires throttle by wire which, as I understand, requires either additional fab work or the intake off of the 2.0.

Crazy Hippy, Carreraguy and Plymouth 73 all have subie conversions and are always more than willing to answer any and all questions.
jimkelly
try to make it to ECC ( east cost classic - 914 gathering in frederick md ) on 15 sept

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...mp;hl=east+cost

renegade is the eight wonder of the world - IMHO : )

jim
MadMax
QUOTE(Chuck @ Aug 20 2007, 09:18 PM) *

welcome.png I'm in the process of restoring a '73 914. I will be using the WRX 2.0 turbo engine and transmission for my car.

If you want to go cheap, well, I've never seen cheap and 915 transmission used in the same sentence

My Idea of cheap is a realitve term I guess. My total budget will be roughly the same as a a 914-6, between $20,000 and $25,000 for the STI conversion. If I do the 3.6L 993 conversion I figured between $30,000 and $35,000. I can do all of the fabrication work myself. I will only farm out paint work. These are "worst case" kind of price budgets. For the guys that have done these kinds of conversions, are my estimates close?
iamchappy
The well has no bottom........Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
Yes and Yes and Yes and Yes, Buy Buy Buy Buy Buy and Buy more..
You dont really want to know.

GO FOR IT!
Cap'n Krusty
Hi, and welcome! First, I'm Cap'n Krusty. Some think me carmudgeonly, others think I'm just rude or unkind. I see myself as a voice for reality...... (no, really!).....
Since you're a new guy, I'm gonna go easy on you .................

You mention freeing up some cash as a reason for selling the 993. In reality, with your stated plan, you're not even trading dollars! You're gonna be in the hole by 20-25 %! Maybe you should do the math .......... Buy someone else's completed project and be done with it. It could save you maybe 50% or more.

Did I say welcome?

Nothing against dreaming, but we all need to give some thought to the reality of our plans at some point.

The Cap'n
MadMax
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Aug 20 2007, 09:58 PM) *

The well has no bottom........Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
Yes and Yes and Yes and Yes, Buy Buy Buy Buy Buy and Buy more..
You dont really want to know.

GO FOR IT!

I know what you mean! I have kept all of my recipts from all of my vw restorations but NEVER TOTAL THEM! I think I would pass out!
My main problem with my 993 is that I am scared to drive it too much. The higher the milege on a Porsche the lower the resale value. I would like a car with a "raw" driving feel (no sound deadening, loud as hell etc) that I can drive every day if I want! You just can't beat the early Porsches for that perfect driving feel. I just want it to be scarry fast as well.
MadMax
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 20 2007, 10:05 PM) *

Hi, and welcome! First, I'm Cap'n Krusty. Some think me carmudgeonly, others think I'm just rude or unkind. I see myself as a voice for reality...... (no, really!).....
Since you're a new guy, I'm gonna go easy on you .................

You mention freeing up some cash as a reason for selling the 993. In reality, with your stated plan, you're not even trading dollars! You're gonna be in the hole by 20-25 %! Maybe you should do the math .......... Buy someone else's completed project and be done with it. It could save you maybe 50% or more.

Did I say welcome?

Nothing against dreaming, but we all need to give some thought to the reality of our plans at some point.

The Cap'n

I'm selling the 993 for $40,000 and investing half back into realestate (where I got the extra money for the 993 in the first place!) I'm going to start slow with the 914 not buying everything at once. I just would like to find out a price cap for my self. Cars are a hobby not an investment. As I do not have any other hobbies besides cars I don't mind "losing" money on them. I find having an awsome car is worth the money! If every one had the mentality that they would lose money restoring these cars they would all be scrap by now. Just my opinion.
Cap'n Krusty
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm............ The KBB for the 993 is 24K+. I know KBB can be a bit low. I just looked in Pano, and cars like yours seem to be 35ish, but I also know those ads tend to be dreamin'. Best of luck! Stringing the costs out over a couple of years is a good way to go, allowing you to change direction as your ideas change, and bargains DO come along. (Just not when you're looking for them!) If you stick with 25ish, I think you can do a pretty nice car. Still cheaper to buy someone's finished (or nearly finished) project.

The Cap'n
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 20 2007, 06:45 PM) *

Still cheaper to buy someone's finished (or nearly finished) project.

agree.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 20 2007, 10:45 PM) *

Still cheaper to buy someone's finished (or nearly finished) project.

The Cap'n

agree.gif & it's what I did when I scored my six. Must be well over $40K in her & I did not pay anywhere near that. Again, they're all expensive.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.