Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT - 76 912E who has or had one, I got questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
Soory for the OT, but it is a aircooled 4cly Porsche smile.gif Anyone here have or had 76 912E? Month or so ago I picked up a complete 66 912. It was in very bad shape, but complete. I sold it a week later for a some quick $$ smile.gif Then at the next AX I went to there was a 76 912E. Nice car, You could tell it wasn't blinding fast, but the cool factor was 10+. I got a to ride on one run, but never had a chance to drive it. While I like the early 912, I think the 76 would be a model I would go for. The one I rode in had sunroof and working AC and was just plain cool.

I bought a 88 944 NA with 62K on at the end of march this year, and while its a great car, I just doesn't do it for me. Nothing against water pumpers, but you just can't beat the aircooled sound shades.gif I have no plans to get rid of the 944 yet, but knowing me it won't make it another year before the 912 bug really sets in. The car would be used just like my 944, daily driver (spring, summer, fall).

I know about the 912 registry site, but who here has or had a 76 912E? I would like to here your good, bad, and ugly about it. From my few days on prcing research looks like they go for $6.5 k - $13k, my budget would be approx $10k.

Thanks! beerchug.gif
Rouser
Click here and talk to Jake Raby, the owner of Aircooled Technology.

He has one (among a host of other neat cars) and it's his high-mileage daily driver. He's getting ready to put some serious work into it, so you might want to follow its progress.
Jerry
What all do you need to know?? Like you said, not blindingly fast, but enough to get you tickets! I have had mine since 2002, same engine as the 2.0 914, but I think it weighs just a little more. Fun car and gets a lot of attention, everyone thinks its a newer 911, they are shocked to find out its 31 years old!
Jerry
here's another
Jake Raby
Best Daily Driver that Porsche ever built IMHO.. I have driven mine 130K miles in less than 5 years.. I have had ZERO issues with the car, the only repair I have made was a leaky master cylinder!

The stock engine is anemic and severely under powered.. I built a 125HP 2056 for my car and haven't done anything to it in the past 5 years- it has seen oil changes of 10K, 23K and 16K- the oil thats in the car now has 16K on it and the engine still runs great but is a tad tired from all the purpose neglect.

I build more 912E engines than anyone and know how to make the car really wake up and perform the way it should have from the factory... Some of my most astonished customers have been 912E drivers
Read here
912E testimonials

The overall balannce of the 912E is great.. I have done several DE events with my car and have torn up some 911s with a measley 125HP
IPB Image

BTW- only 500 sunroof/ AC cars were made and mine was one of them. After much research on these cars I feel they are going to be worth more than 911s of the same year soon.
There is no better daily driver!
thomasotten
I have been thinking a 912E would be my next adventure... a car that looks like that, with an engine you can afford to rebuild! But aren't the heat exchangers nearly impossible to find? Due to rust, isn't that something they all need sooner or later, as in the case of the 914?
Krieger
I built one for my wife as daily driver. She drove for 5 years. #1 when rebuilding the engine do not use the original heads. The car uses thermal reactors to further cook the exhaust for emissions. This over time changes the nature of the metal. After my rebuild I lost seat, pulled rocker shaft studs like crazy. Once I replaced the heads the car was perfect for the wife. I did not use the thermal reactors. Its funny how heat exchangers look like thermal reactors to young smog guys. And it passed the tailpipe test. There are some odd parts I will try to remember. 2.0 engine with AFC injection. Some parts were 1.8 stuff, the air meter was exclusive. The injectors (I still have a set) are "E" only, Throttle cable, trans gearing is not 911, added counterweight under front on trans, heat exchangers. You could or pay someone to fab an exhaust with a cat. I almost did but it passed. A relay in the engine compartment. The brakes on mine were smaller than what were supposed to be there. I'm am not certain and did not know the difference, but they may have had 3" spacing. The rear rotors were may have been exclusive to that car. I think they were solid not vented. What I had heard is that Porsche was using whatever they had leftover to throw these cars together. Its been about 11 years and the wife still talks about it.
Cap'n Krusty
Hard to find parts? Intake air boot. There are none. The Cap'n
jasons
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 21 2007, 09:06 AM) *

What about the Heat exchangers?
Cap'n Krusty
Headers can be made. The Cap'n
GaroldShaffer
Looks like my main concern is the emissons. All cars 76 and up must pass here in Northwest Indiana since they cause all the crap in the air, NOT the 5 Steel Mills 5 miles away screwy.gif

I'm not owrried about massive power, but I do like what Jake has done to his. I have a 74 911 donor for my 914 that will give me enough power for what I need. driving.gif

The car would be just for driving around town and to work once a week. Big plus is AC, I know its not the best system, but it is better than nothing.
thomasotten
What about converting an early 912 to typeIV power? Then you skip the emmission hassle factor.
Jake Raby
Auto Atlanta has remade the air intake boots...

I almost have enough orders to make heat exchangers, etc, etc.. The only thing that keeps parts from being available is lack of wallet opening on the owner's behalf...

over 85% of the engines I have built for the 912E have went into cars still in posession of the ORIGINAL OWNER- go figure.

Converting a 912 to TIV power is an option and TONS of guys are doing it, but tyhe early cars don't have the better creature comforts of the "E".....
thomasotten
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Aug 21 2007, 10:35 AM) *

I almost have enough orders to make heat exchangers, etc, etc.. The only thing that keeps parts from being available is lack of wallet opening on the owner's behalf...

Cool. I thought it was only 914 owners that you thought were cheap! biggrin.gif
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(thomasotten @ Aug 21 2007, 09:44 AM) *

What about converting an early 912 to typeIV power? Then you skip the emmission hassle factor.

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Aug 21 2007, 10:35 AM) *

Auto Atlanta has remade the air intake boots...

over 85% of the engines I have built for the 912E have went into cars still in posession of the ORIGINAL OWNER- go figure.

Converting a 912 to TIV power is an option and TONS of guys are doing it, but tyhe early cars don't have the better creature comforts of the "E".....

I would want the creature comforts of the 76 E.
Al Meredith
I've owned three of them, now have #265. I rebuilt the engine with Jake Raby 2056 parts and Dynos Just like he says. I have carbs and a Bursh extractor/muffler. The torque is what you notice from the 2056. Mine was built in 1975 (early Number) and is not fully galvanized. I think the later ones are. Think about the power a 911 has, with less of an engine it should last forever. Insurance is less than a 911 (I use "classic" insurance) I think they are great dailey drivers. OH! I ran into George Hussey of Automobile Atlanta at a PCA concours and he said the 912E intake boots are ready. Stock, they use the same FI as an 1800. Check with Aric Gless At Glessarch@aol.com. He has a directery of 1/2 of them.
Krieger
Oh yea, the A/C was poor, even when set up how the dealer did it. Perhaps one of those extra condensors some 911s put up front underneath would do the trick?
Eric_Shea
I'm not owrried about massive power, but I do like what Jake has done to his. I have a 74 911 donor for my 914 that will give me enough power for what I need.

Let me get this straight... you're contemplating a 4 cylinder 911 and a 6 cylinder 914?? confused24.gif

I love it smilie_pokal.gif
BigDBass
Let me get this straight... you're contemplating a 4 cylinder 911 and a 6 cylinder 914??

laugh.gif
slap.gif
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 21 2007, 10:52 PM) *

I'm not owrried about massive power, but I do like what Jake has done to his. I have a 74 911 donor for my 914 that will give me enough power for what I need.

Let me get this straight... you're contemplating a 4 cylinder 911 and a 6 cylinder 914?? confused24.gif

I love it smilie_pokal.gif

A Yup thumb3d.gif
Al Meredith
Eric, I'm crazy like that also....I have a real 914-6 and a 912E... Upside down?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 21 2007, 09:06 AM) *

air intake boots will be here in a matter of days. The prototypes look great.

dr914@autoatlanta.com
We love the 912e but hate Porsche for making a one year only car that they do not support with parts. ANYTHING around the powerplant is next to impossible to get (the 915 transmission has an odd t/o bearing and a 901 STYLE mainshaft) the exhaust system the fuel injection system is all one off, and that all means FORGET trying to repair it! Cannot even get cables! We are at least making the intake boot now along with the 1.7 air intake boot, but as for the rest of the fuel injection, forget it! Really again, too too bad.

QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Aug 20 2007, 08:31 PM) *

Soory for the OT, but it is a aircooled 4cly Porsche smile.gif Anyone here have or had 76 912E? Month or so ago I picked up a complete 66 912. It was in very bad shape, but complete. I sold it a week later for a some quick $$ smile.gif Then at the next AX I went to there was a 76 912E. Nice car, You could tell it wasn't blinding fast, but the cool factor was 10+. I got a to ride on one run, but never had a chance to drive it. While I like the early 912, I think the 76 would be a model I would go for. The one I rode in had sunroof and working AC and was just plain cool.

I bought a 88 944 NA with 62K on at the end of march this year, and while its a great car, I just doesn't do it for me. Nothing against water pumpers, but you just can't beat the aircooled sound shades.gif I have no plans to get rid of the 944 yet, but knowing me it won't make it another year before the 912 bug really sets in. The car would be used just like my 944, daily driver (spring, summer, fall).

I know about the 912 registry site, but who here has or had a 76 912E? I would like to here your good, bad, and ugly about it. From my few days on prcing research looks like they go for $6.5 k - $13k, my budget would be approx $10k.

Thanks! beerchug.gif

thomasotten
That's what has always confused me. If a lot of this car is all "one-off", then that seems to fly in the face of the theory that Porsche only made them to get rid of leftover 914 parts. If they had leftover parts, they cound have kept the leftover parts for inventory as replacement parts for the 914. Why spend the time developing a bunch of "one-off" parts to get rid of a bunch of other discontinued parts? I am thinking that maybe the 912E was meant to be a full fledged affordable Porsche, 914 replacement. And then it was killed when they decided to change course and do the 924 thing. What do you think?
jwhcars
I bought a new 912E in white after having more problems than I care to remember with the 1975 914.( It was a lemon-it happens in all car makes)The 912E was a fun reliable car for years. I would have kept the car but I got stiffed on a real estate settlement and needed the cash.
Good luck in you hunt & enjoy the extra comfort in driving one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.