Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking at my first 914 tomorrow
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
my928s4
I have been reading through the archives and trying to soak up some of the knowledge (awesome by the way), my only other Porsche ownership experience is with 928's so this is all new to me.

Anyway I was all prepared to take a trip to the coast and look for a suitable 914 and then this morning an ad appeared in Craig's list and seeing as I was first on the button I get first refusal and will be looking at the car first thing tomorrow.

Here is the scoop, it is a 74 1.8 with appearance package and comes with a parts car also a 74 1.8. Rust is evidently restricted to the leading edge of the trunk floor and under the gas tank. Now the trunk I have read about and seen in photos plenty but never heard much about under the gas tank. Thoughts?

Car is finished in primer, nice.

I intend to go trusty screwdriver in hand.

I have always wanted to try a hand at welding and this was one of the appeals about working on a 914. Also thinking about doing my own paintwork on the inside and under the car, everywhere else I leave to the professionals. Mechanical/electrical/interior I am fine with.

I am after a project car and this appears to be just that but equally I do not want to end up with two parts cars .....

Chris

Spoke
If you've never looked at 914s, it would be worthwhile to snag someone from this board or 914club or clubNarp to go with you. On-the-spot education of 914 weak points will take too long. Someone will help you. Most rusty points: hell hole and longitudinals are not obvious at first glance.

Spoke
Hammy
If you really are not sure about a car, take a digi camera with you if you have one. Take pics of as much as you can and show 'em here.... You'd get a lot of trustworthy opinions if you're unsure.
my928s4
Well I looked at it this morning and passed, there were a few things I felt uncomfortable with. Here is the ad:

http://spokane.craigslist.org/car/401242472.html

The rust below the fuel tank looked bad, there was also a rust hole by the rear suspension on the passenger side and also around the tunnel about where the shifter is.

Trunk rust looked pretty bad too, hell hole looked good though and so did the interior pans.

Interestingly the parts car was mint where this one had rust.

I would prefer to spend more and get something a little more solid, good to view the 1st one though !

Chris
Allan
QUOTE(my928s4 @ Aug 21 2007, 09:25 AM) *

Interestingly the parts car was mint where this one had rust.
Chris

Buy it and swap the parts over. thumb3d.gif
rhodyguy
being able to walk away from a car is the FIRST lesson with 914s. go back in 2 months and offer $400.

k
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(my928s4 @ Aug 21 2007, 09:25 AM) *

I would prefer to spend more and get something a little more solid, good to view the 1st one though !

Be picky.

Do you have a specific want, and budget?

This sounds like it could be a deal, for the right money.
Joe Ricard
I miss my 928
But I really love my 914.
Eric_Shea
welcome.png

Take Sasquatch (better known as rhodyguy) with you. He knows all about "keepers" biggrin.gif
my928s4
QUOTE(9146986 @ Aug 21 2007, 03:00 PM) *

Do you have a specific want, and budget?

This sounds like it could be a deal, for the right money.

Good point, I would like a 73 or later for the side shift tranny. Bodywork integrity (it will get paint anyway) more important than mechanical as I will likely replace most of it (except the tranny) over time.

I don't mind some bodywork but I do not want to spend the next two years welding either.

For the above I believe 3-4K gets me what I want and probably more, I checked out this one becasue it was local and you never know, sometimes you can make it work.

If I had more 914 experience maybe I would feel more confident about the local deal, for now I decided not.

Chris
my928s4
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Aug 21 2007, 03:26 PM) *

I miss my 928
But I really love my 914.

I intend to have both driving.gif
my928s4
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 21 2007, 04:01 PM) *

welcome.png

Take Sasquatch (better known as rhodyguy) with you. He knows all about "keepers" biggrin.gif

Thankyou, good to be here, been fun lurking.

Chris
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.