Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cams... the good,bad and the ugly
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orange914
what dual pattern cams are out there for the stockish type IV? something with driveability and engine longevity as big factor. what are your good and bad experiances with them? which ones have been found to be stromberg.gif ? which ones driving.gif ?

DanT
I have the Raby 9550 in my 2056 and it is working quite nicely wtih my stock 2.0L '74 D-jet setup.
My car starts, idles and runs like it is completely a brand new stock 2.0L, just with a bit more oomph than it used to have biggrin.gif

not many cams out there that will work with D-jet and give you any increased HP and still give you a good idle and drivability.
Joe Ricard
I had a 86b in my old motor. not optimal because of the low compression of the pistons. But it did run pretty good.

Going to a split duration 86a +5 / 163 No idea what it's going to be like. some have said it shoud have better mid range than the bigger cam.
Twystd1
A proper aftermarket cam and lifters and the accompanying mechanicals to make use of it, "REALLY" brings these engines alive.

What are looking for as far as an end result? In essence, what performance are looking to get?

Clayton
orange914
i'm looking for streetability, engine life vrs. all out h.p. it's d-jet 2056 s/s 1.7 w/monza exhaust. hot central valley california area driving, low elevation. stock gears, 205x60x15 tires

mike
Joe Ricard
Pretty much the Raby 9550 including his lifters will do you right.
Just go to aircooledtechology and send your money.

Everything he sells works like he says.
orange914
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Aug 22 2007, 03:08 PM) *

yes 9550 will do it. i've tried everything to register to the online sales, no luck, cant seem to get past that issue. seems to be the only way to purchase from aircooledtechnology? visa in hand but have to have cam supplier want to take it confused24.gif

i'm hearing good things about elgin cams, anyone running one?
toon1
QUOTE(orange914 @ Aug 22 2007, 03:46 PM) *

yes 9550 will do it. i've tried everything to register to the online sales, no luck, cant seem to get past that issue. seems to be the only way to purchase from aircooledtechnology? visa in hand but have to have cam supplier want to take it confused24.gif

Hi mike, Jake suggested a webcam # 73 grind for me. I would imagine this is close to a 9550. good luck, Keith
davep
The biggest problem with cams is the lifters. If you do not get the lifters to match the cam, then you might get to do it again in a few hundred miles. Give Jake a phone call. That will work. He does like to grille you on the application, so be prepared.
Twystd1
Uhhhh.

Jake doesn't sell cams and lifters anymore. Period.

That is unless things have changed in the last 2 weeks.

Clayton
anderssj
QUOTE(orange914 @ Aug 22 2007, 02:46 PM) *

I put an Elgin in my 2.0 when we rebuilt the motor in 1982 (when dinosaurs still romed the earth) . . .

100K+ miles later, I'm still VERY happy with it--will try to post the numbers and specifications later.
craig downs
Jake has come up with a new plan to start selling his cams again.
914werke
aktion035.gif Unless you have CERAMIC LIFTERS ! thumb3d.gif
orange914
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Aug 23 2007, 02:20 PM) *

aktion035.gif Unless you have CERAMIC LIFTERS ! thumb3d.gif

whats the deal with these, i guess they are the ultimate from what i've been reading. must be expensive and unobtaium. do they have negative wear afectson the cam itself?
jwalters
From a very few people I know who run them, Iskenderian cams are very good and it seems they are offered in more useable profiles than webcam.

Isky cams are made on an as-order basis -they are not stocked so when someone orders one it is ground fresh, I think it kinda cool myself -

When I rebuild BlackSabbath the way I want, I am going for the isky hydro cam and using Rhoads variable duration lifters.

smile.gif
Jake Raby
Rebecca walked him through his order yesterday, she even put the items in his shopping cart for him.

Yes, we are only set up for online orders, all the people here that are skilled with these engines enough to offer telephone support are where they belong- in the shop.

We will add the 9550 cam to the remainder of your order and get it shipped out with the heads no later than Monday- BUT we DO NOT have the credit card number on file, we do not save these here for security purposes. EMAIL REBECCA!!!

The problems with cams these days is lifters and oils- these are so important that the ONLY way we'll sell someone a cam is after a thorough online seminar that we can use to go over each aspect of the camshaft and related components. It is MANDATORY that valve train components be compatible. My new method for this takes away any chances of error unless the person makes a stupid mistake.

I refuse to sell a cam and lifters to anyone that does not vow to use our recommended oils, today you can pour in instant death to your cam and lifters from a bottle of engine oil and we have taken the time and spent the money it has taken to get real information as to what works and what don't.
orange914
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Aug 24 2007, 08:45 AM) *

Rebecca walked him through his order yesterday, she even put the items in his shopping cart for him.

thank you for the help with the online order, things went smoothly after registration issue was resolved.

We will add the 9550 cam to the remainder of your order and get it shipped out with the heads no later than Monday- BUT we DO NOT have the credit card number on file, we do not save these here for security purposes. EMAIL REBECCA!!!

thank you for putting my order thru, i've heard great things about the 9550 cam. i'm alittle old school maybe like many others in terms of online card # transfer but i did break down and put my # online with the order as that was the only way the online order would go through.

The problems with cams these days is lifters and oils- these are so important that the ONLY way we'll sell someone a cam is after a thorough online seminar that we can use to go over each aspect of the camshaft and related components. It is MANDATORY that valve train components be compatible. My new method for this takes away any chances of error unless the person makes a stupid mistake.

in my order i took your advice and ordered lifters, oil& filters, all the items you've promted for the best build, i think we all at this site can appreciate your dedicated efforts in type IV developement

I refuse to sell a cam and lifters to anyone that does not vow to use our recommended oils, today you can pour in instant death to your cam and lifters from a bottle of engine oil and we have taken the time and spent the money it has taken to get real information as to what works and what don't.

very good oil article on oil on aircooledtechnologizes site. i will take info. to heart, my long term investment relies on it. smilie_pokal.gif

thanks, mike
Joe Ricard
Thanks for deleting my post.

I was only asking a question.

Figured out a solution none the less.
Brando
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Aug 24 2007, 07:45 AM) *

I swear on the life of my second unborn child that I will only use your reccommended oils in my (still being) rebuilt engine!

(I wonder how many people will catch that). poke.gif
jwalters
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Aug 24 2007, 11:45 AM) *

we have taken the time and spent the money it has taken to get real information as to what works and what don't.

Spoken like a true red-necked southerner hooked on ebonics...... laugh.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.