Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: vw bus 1.8 vs. 914 1.8
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hedgehog
an ad in the local paper said 75.00 or best offer...was wondering if it is interchangable with a 914 motor and/or if it is worth it....
Cap'n Krusty
The '74 1.8 was carbureted, the '75s were either FI or carbureted, depending on the market. Lower compression, FI system is similar but different, carbs are a nightmare. Dipstick tube is missing on the VW bus cases. Carb engines have air pump fittings on the heads. Flywheel is cut differently. That said, a good case is worth the money, if you need one.

The Cap'n
SLITS
1.) Dipstick location will be a long tube bolted to the boss on the bottom of all the cases rather than in the top location of a 914. Boss can be blocked off with a plate and the dipstick relocated to the 914 style.

2.) '74 was carburetored ... Case Code AW .... Heads 021 101 371 H or S ... they would have 3 EGR holes .. two in one head, one in the other. Valve size In 41mm / Ex 34mm

3.) '75 went L-Jet injection ...Case Code AW ... EGR holes eliminated / CHT added ... Valve size reduced In 39.3mm / Ex 34 mm .... same part numbers

4.) All 914 heads had sodium filled exhaust valves ... Type 2 didn't.

5.) Type 2 bus engines, as far as I remember, had a much deeper dish in the piston for lower compression ratio.

Think thats about it ........

Ya beat me to it Krusty One
Twystd1
I am going by memory here. Crusty will tell us if I am right.

But I believe the Bus/Vanagon Exhaust ports are different (square) if they were made after 1978. Those don't flow like a teener head.

Clayton
euro911
Here's a site that provides a bunch of good info:

http://www.tunacan.net/t4/reference/case.htm
LvSteveH
I had a similar motor in a 914 and it was great on hills, but off the line, it was a dog. I actually got out accelerated by a diesel truck pulling a large 5th wheel. The sad part was he probably wasn't even trying.

Don't get me wrong, it was a fun setup, and great for traveling. Around 30mpg and at 3200 rpm's it would hold 75 through the mountains without any trouble at all.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.