Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 917 on 85 northbound
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jenny
Driving home today on 85 (south) and I spot one of these

IPB Image

w00t.gif heading north. WTF?!?!? I must admit I swerved quite a bit while rubbernecking to get a better look. Anyone know whose it is?

Bad ass!! aktion035.gif

Jen
DanT
on a trailer Jenny, or driving?

if driving it is probably one of the '70s fiberglass replicas on a VW chassis. huh.gif
Jenny
Driving! I've never seen one on the road before.

Jen
Gustl
in Austria we have one of these Australian replicas, exactly the same look as in your photo
the guy told me that it won't be street legal in Austria - but he found a way to drive it legally - he got it registered in Australia (where this car sems to be street legal) and gets the same right like an Australian tourist who brings his car ...
kind of strange but way cool biggrin.gif

I guess I would be really scared if a 917 (even a replica) overtakes me on the Autobahn blink.gif

bye1.gif Gustl
GWN7
It would be a fun ride to work in one smile.gif
jim_hoyland
This one ?
blitZ
I recall reading an article in Road & Track several decades ago, about someone wanting to make a 917 street legal. The DOT and EPA were not as strict as they are now and put the car in a special cars class as long as it had a muffler.

Wonder what became of that? idea.gif
SGB
I don't recall who (Count somebody), but someone registerd a 917 in ALabama way back in the early 70s. There were at least 2 on the US roads
GS Guy
If you were up around Michigan - it could be one of the RCR replicas. They should be getting one close to drivable by now?? Body and exterior on the RCR917 is near exact duplicate of the original - I believe molds pulled off original bodywork.

Jeff
URY914
QUOTE(SGB @ Aug 23 2007, 05:00 AM) *

I don't recall who (Count somebody), but someone registerd a 917 in ALabama way back in the early 70s. There were at least 2 on the US roads

I think that was Rossi of Martini and Rossi fame. The car was silver. There are several 917 sites that track the serial numbers and you can find out where they all are.
URY914
Here ya go....

Gustl
there was some rumor in a german forum that there were 3 street legal 917
one was owned by Rossi, an other by Herbert van Karajan and I can't remember the 3rd one rolleyes.gif

URY914
OK, I have the other one. I tried to keep it a secert but word gets around.
URY914
driving.gif
Jenny
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Aug 23 2007, 03:42 AM) *

This one ?

Nope. Same paint scheme as the pic I posted. Gulf, right? It was beautiful... drooley.gif

Jen
Jenny
Um... yes. blink.gif

Jen
rwjames
I saw a VW 917 replica version on a hauler going toward Florida about 2 months ago. Still a replica, but cool to see since you don't see many of them around here anymore.

I had the opportunity to sit in the Hippy 917 about 5 years ago. This is the purple one with the swirly green and white graphics. My friend drove it into the museum under our pushing power after the owners mechanic fired it up and drove it out of the truck.

Pretty cool, but intimidating car. If I remember correctly, it had a battery tray that was made out of a wooden frame. I thought it was pretty odd at the time.

driving.gif
Gustl
this one ??

Gustl
or this one ...

maf914
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Aug 22 2007, 10:56 PM) *

if driving it is probably one of the '70s fiberglass replicas on a VW chassis. huh.gif

There is a company currently making tube frame 911 6-cylinder powered 917 replicas that are much closer to the real thing than those horrible old VW based kit cars. Maybe it was one of those. Sorry, but I don't have the specifics on the current replicas. idea.gif
race914
From my 914 paint scheme you might be able to tell I'm partial to Gulf 917s!

I saw a LMK 917 'tribute' at the 2004 Porsche Rennsport reunion in Daytona. Really well done and takes some inspection before you realize it isn't the real thing. Here's the site where you could order an LMK back in 2001-2002. Has more info.

Click to view attachment

Also saw this last week while in San Diego on business!

Click to view attachment

I hurt my neck contorting to see this Cayman S as I drove by the Porsche dealer on Miramar Road. Boy that would look nice in the garage next to my matching 914!

I didn't stop because I know it would probably follow me home.... and I haven't won the lottery yet

Jenny
Sorry guys. I really couldn't tell you which car it was (I can't really even tell the difference between the pics posted!). It was going a leisurely 70mph in one direction, and I was going about 65mph in the opposite direction. And there was traffic and oddles of other cars. And a center divide. What I saw looked to be a gulf 917. It definately wasn't a 914 or a 911 or a cayman or anything like that. Body was that of a 917. Painted that baby blue and orange scheme. Kind of like a Bigfoot sighting, I guess. smile.gif

Jen
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.