Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shifting problems please help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
por73914
I just re-installed my tranny and I cannot get it into 4 and 5th gear. It seems to be a shift rod adjustment but I just can not figure it out! headbang.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(por73914 @ Aug 23 2007, 12:44 PM) *

I just re-installed my tranny and I cannot get it into 4 and 5th gear. It seems to be a shift rod adjustment but I just can not figure it out! headbang.gif

could be a bent rod or broken bushing but to adjust just loosen the bolt in the base and move the shifter over to the right and retighten.
por73914
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 23 2007, 02:50 PM) *

QUOTE(por73914 @ Aug 23 2007, 12:44 PM) *

could be a bent rod or broken bushing but to adjust just loosen the bolt in the base and move the shifter over to the right and retighten.

Thanks George,

I moved the shifter to the right and no difference. It seems that it need to go to the left because it is hitting the shift gate and not moving to the right far enough. However upon further inspection I am missing the firewall bushing. Would that cause enough slop to not shift into 4th an 5th?
tdgray
Look over on the Pelican site... there is a write up on how to adjust the shifter.

I had to do it several times before I got it right.
cassidy_bolger

I moved the shifter to the right and no difference. It seems that it need to go to the left because it is hitting the shift gate and not moving to the right far enough. However upon further inspection I am missing the firewall bushing. Would that cause enough slop to not shift into 4th an 5th?
[/quote]

I bet it could. I lost 2nd / 3rd to the left of the detent, and then found that my ball cup bushing was shot. Replaced that and it works perfectly now without even adjusting the shifter.
por73914

I ordered all the bushing this morning, hopefully this will take care of it.
Thanks
Paul
driving.gif
SGB
Good move. You will chew up that new trans with sloppy bushings. Did you take the lever out of the trans housing? The gears have to be lined up right to put it back in or gears will be blocked out...
por73914
QUOTE(SGB @ Aug 24 2007, 09:19 AM) *

Good move. You will chew up that new trans with sloppy bushings. Did you take the lever out of the trans housing? The gears have to be lined up right to put it back in or gears will be blocked out...

No I did not take the lever out...The tranny is not new, just new to me so I hope the bushings' take care of the problem. I have not been able to drive the car for the past two weeks, I miss it. driving.gif
rhodyguy
reuse the old cone screws until you are ALL done, the linkage is set right, and it shifts well. then install the new ones.

k
por73914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 24 2007, 12:22 PM) *

reuse the old cone screws until you are ALL done, the linkage is set right, and it shifts well. then install the new ones.

k

Will do beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.