Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 V8 Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxstr
Thinking of a V8 conversion still and I cam across a 1997 LT1 350 Ram air 305 hp Aluminum heads. It is a rebuilder. Owner says it had a noise in the lower end. Not a rod knock?? Heads are off and valves are good, not bent. $650.
TIA
CCLINV8SWAPMODE
seanery
is this a truck motor or a corvette, or camaro/firebird?
boxstr
I will have to ask?? What are the differences?Which one would be the one to use??
CCLINLT1
Brad Roberts
They never used the LT1 ram air in a truck. 305hp sounds correct for the Camaro and Trans Am. The vette should have had 350hp for that year.

The injection setup doesnt fit in the engine compartment.. and the heads are deisgned for reverse flow water pump (you would have to be VERY creative to make this setup work in a 914.

B
iiibdsiil
The engine won't work because the waterpump will interfere with the firewall.

- Brett Smith
John2kx
Check this post about fit of LS1/LT1 in a 914.

http://www.pors-chev.com/pipermail/pors-ch...ber/001835.html

John
John2kx
Not the answer to your question but when putting my v8 conversion together, I found pictures to be very helpful. This link has many 914 v8 conversion projects in various stages of completion.

http://community.webshots.com/user/adbuch

John
boxstr
Thanks I think the question has been answered. Anything can be done if you want to fuck with it long enough.
John, thanks I have been to both sites and they are great to use as a reference for question like the one I posted.
CCLINV8HEAVEN
rhodyguy
what car do you intend to do this to? low ball the guy from bremerton and use his pre-sorted stuff for the swap. i bet the cost will me nearly the same. i'm going to email you with a little insight as to that red v-8.

kevin
John2kx
Craig,

Hope you share your v8 experience with this board. Most of us conversion guys fall into the lurk mode for obvious reasons. I know several here who can provide a wealth of information. They sure made my vision become a reality.

John
boxstr
John Thanks. I have enough 914s scattered that I won't fall into lurk mode. I have a 3.2 six that is sitting and could fit into the 914, but I started looking at what is left to do and it makes more sense dollar wise to buy a 914-8 allready done or sell the 3.2 and convert to the V8.
I am leaning towards the sage advise of Rhodyguy and buying one completed and swapping componnents from that car to the JLO car. The completed car has some body and suspension issues.
I will keep you posted as to which way I turn.
CCLINCHEVPORSCHMODE
rhodyguy
well craig, you buy it, i'll deliver it for you and take the train home laugh.gif . a one day temp licence is all it takes. i'll pay for the gas. the yellow car. well that will be subtle.

kevin
Brad Roberts
John reminded me of why I dont like email based posting systems.

Craig.. you will love a V8 car.. but you wont be happy with a 901 for very long (which is where you would save some money on the 3.2 conversion.

I like all 914's. Doesnt matter what is powering them.

B
boxstr
I thiink this is the V8 car that I am going to love. Reference to ebay for display only.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...4&category=7251
CCLINKEWLV8LUV
Brad Roberts
OK.. now your scaring me.

B
boxstr
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
sj914
Looks like something you'd take to the moon. blink.gif
redshift
QUOTE(boxstr @ Dec 22 2003, 12:22 AM)
I thiink this is the V8 car that I am going to love.

OHMAHGAWD! You just commited battery! I think you broke my nose.

M
GWN7
Where do you put the golf clubs?
boxstr
Okay folks it is coming to CAMP 914, I bought the Bremerton 914-8. 327 with 283 crank so we have a 302.Kennedy Engineering clutch and adapter kit.
Motor has a Milidon oil pan, pump and windage tray. Forged crank with blueprinted rods and ARP rod bolts,TRW forged pistons, a Comp cams 280 grind hydraulic cam and valve train, roller tip rockers. Late 80s IROC 305 heads, ported and rebuilt. Weiand Excellerator intake manifold with Holleyprojection fuel injection system. Also a complete MSD ignition including distributor,6AL boxwith rev limiter and coil. Tilton gear reduction starter
Suspension has 23 mm torsion bars front,180 rear springs,larger front sway bar and Koni shocks. Stock rotors with BMW front calipers rears are 914 fronts, 911 master cylinder, electric brake lock for the E-brake. Riv wheels with 195/60 Michelins,&" wide steel wheels with Yokohama R compound tires. Autopower rollbar and 5 point harness.
Body looks like it may have some issues but that will be determined when it gets here.
Gint
More pics!
seanery
that's going into J-LO ?
boxstr
Yes after things are sorted out I figure out what to transfer and not transfer.
The other pics are not worth looking at only to me for buying purposes, and what Kevin(rhodyguy) felt was pertinent.
CCLINCHEVPOR
tesserra
looks like a great car. You are way ahead getting one with FI.
If you haven't driven a 914 v8 you are going to be very happy. There are very few cars on the road that can out accelerate them. Looks like the PO relocated the battery and somewhat set up the suspension. The challenge is to get the car to loose the pendullum feeling when the rear gets loose. Mine is not nearly as easy to "catch" the rear end in a slide as my 4 cyl car is. But you forget about it pretty quick when the track or road straightens out.

Good luck with it.
boxstr
Sounds like driving my 73 911 on a rainy road. driving.gif ohmy.gif
CCLINICOULDOFHADAV8
rhodyguy
let me now when you're coming up. 02 sensor and programable fi. you will smile when you hear it lit off for the first time.

kevin
boxstr
Probably drive up with the tow dolly and bring it back. I will give you a cal and let you know what day I am coming up.
We can meet in Kalma for breakfast wink.gif
CCLINWAITFORTHE8MODE
John2kx
Craig,

I look forward to seeing what you bought and hope you snap a few pics when you get it home.

John
boxstr
Front trunk area.
boxstr
Rear trunk
boxstr
That was the interior this is the rear trunk area
boxstr
VROOM VROOM
rhodyguy
there is a lot of nice stuff on that car. well done craig smilie_pokal.gif

kevin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.