Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quick question about fuel filter.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Slick914
Previous owner moved the fuel filter after the fuel pump, up top in the engine bay. I ordered a stock replacement and want to put in the correct location, which I understand is before the pump. I have the firm fuel line coming from the tunnel, and then the larger rubber line that leads to the pump is just clamped over it. Does the firm rubber/plastic line coming from the tunnel hook directly up to the small inlet on the fuel filter? I'm wondering if it is flexible enough to fit over the barbed fitting?

Another stupid question... How do you prevent the fuel tank from draining through the fuel line when you disconnect it? Or is a gasoline shower just part of the job?
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Slick914 @ Aug 23 2007, 04:26 PM) *

Previous owner moved the fuel filter after the fuel pump, up top in the engine bay. I ordered a stock replacement and want to put in the correct location, which I understand is before the pump. I have the firm fuel line coming from the tunnel, and then the larger rubber line that leads to the pump is just clamped over it. Does the firm rubber/plastic line coming from the tunnel hook directly up to the small inlet on the fuel filter? I'm wondering if it is flexible enough to fit over the barbed fitting?

Another stupid question... How do you prevent the fuel tank from draining through the fuel line when you disconnect it? Or is a gasoline shower just part of the job?

There is a hose that has different sizes on either end, 914 356 525 00, costs somewhere around 30 bucks. You NEED this hose! If the hose you have fits correctly on the plastic pipe, there's no way it'll clamp to the filter without damaging the hose and becoming a potential fireball. As for thew fuel running out, tie a rag around each wrist, work fast. Keep your face, and especially your eyes, clear of the flow and splash of the fuel. The Cap'n
Slick914
It appears that I don't have the stock fuel pump. I'm guessing that may be a good thing since the car has carbs. Also found out that my FLAPS gave me the filter for the 75-76 models instead of my 74. I ended up getting a universal inline filter.
balljoint
As for spilling fuel....

I would find a bolt that fit the inner diameter of the fuel line and plug her up quick. A carriage bolt with the threads cut off or any correct diameter smooth and solid dowel works perfectly and does no damage to the line.
rhodyguy
next time wait until the tank is near empty and let the excess run into a catch can. pour the fuel back in the car.

k
norcalwtc
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 23 2007, 04:09 PM) *

There is a hose that has different sizes on either end, 914 356 525 00, costs somewhere around 30 bucks. You NEED this hose! If the hose you have fits correctly on the plastic pipe, there's no way it'll clamp to the filter without damaging the hose and becoming a potential fireball. As for thew fuel running out, tie a rag around each wrist, work fast. Keep your face, and especially your eyes, clear of the flow and splash of the fuel. The Cap'n

Hey, I just did this job and used a 9mm FI german hose with FI clamps to the plastic fuel line (perfect fit) and then to the Mahle fuel filter which was an 8mm end bib. the clamp seemed to work great on the filter, no leaks or overtightened clamps. I saw that $30 special hose and balked.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(norcalwtc @ Oct 14 2007, 05:58 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 23 2007, 04:09 PM) *

Hey, I just did this job and used a 9mm FI german hose with FI clamps to the plastic fuel line (perfect fit) and then to the Mahle fuel filter which was an 8mm end bib. the clamp seemed to work great on the filter, no leaks or overtightened clamps. I saw that $30 special hose and balked.

So, your car's not worth 30 bucks? Or your life? Or maybe your garage and house? Another lister just lost his car and a bunch of expensive stuff because his car caught fire with him (AND his wife) on board. Another teener owner had the fire department out to his house because his wife FREAKED (and rightly so) when she saw gas dripping from his car in the garage. (Garages are one of the favorite places to install gas water heaters, BTW.) Clamping down on a hose that's "just a little bit" too big is getting down on your knees and BEGGING to get the big one. Begging!

I rarely say "I told you so", but in this case I'm fully prepared to say it in the aftermath. PLEASE, don't give me the opportunity!

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.