Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dr. Evil or Other Gearbox Experts (Note: didn't use the T-Word)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kconway
There is a large bolt, more like cover; that covers the set of detent balls and springs on the I-plate. I might have overtorqued that bolt and it felt like the mag was yielding. Have you seen this bolt or cover as a source of leaks in your experience?

Kev
Dr Evil
I have been fortunate not to have come across or to have caused one to strip, but it is possible. Why did you have the cover off? Best check the threads and then leak test it with some oil in the case and a drive. I dont have the tq specs in front of me at the moment, but it isnt very high.
kconway
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 24 2007, 03:19 PM) *

I have been fortunate not to have come across or to have caused one to strip, but it is possible. Why did you have the cover off? Best check the threads and then leak test it with some oil in the case and a drive. I dont have the tq specs in front of me at the moment, but it isnt very high.

I pulled the whole thing apart to reseal and replace some hokey work that was done prior. Someone swapped one of the forged washers and rollpins for an aluminum washer & cotter pin. Everything else looked good, bearings and all.

Kev
Dr Evil
Eek, I hope it works out. Run it until it gives you an answer on whether it will work or not wink.gif If not, send it to me and I'll put another plate in for ya biggrin.gif
kconway
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 25 2007, 01:43 AM) *

Eek, I hope it works out. Run it until it gives you an answer on whether it will work or not wink.gif If not, send it to me and I'll put another plate in for ya biggrin.gif

Thanks Mike,
Putting the plate in I can do, finding one reasonable priced I may not be abe to do... thumb3d.gif

Kev
kconway
I wish I had my camera when I pulled mine apart but found a few good photos in Dave Hunt's rebuild thread. Still wondering if this plug could be a potential leak?

At the sametime, I'm looking for a used Intermediate plate or core tranny to replace mine...Ya got one to sell me cheap?

Here is the plug that I over torqued, wonder if I can't just permatex the crap out of it???
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

The asshat PO's mechanic had substituted this forged washer and rollpin for an ALUMINUM washer and cotter pin. Most of the washer had squeezed in between 1st gear and the shaft.
Click to view attachment

Kev
Dr Evil
I have cores and probably int plates, too. Hit me up next week after my test.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.