Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Upgrading Ignition on mostly stock 1.7
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Chris Pincetich
I've always thought the MSD ignition was cool, especially when it could increase gas mileage and give a little more power just bolted on to a stock TIV engine. But the $250+ price tag was too much to swallow when other parts were needed. Now that those other parts have been mostly acquired, I'm looking at ignition systems again. This is for my stock 1.7 AX/cruiser 914, 1 5/8" Eurorace coated headers, and upgraded high-flow intake filter.

I got a box from Summit Racing today with more trick parts and they have a NEWish ignition box, with rev limiter for $159. Looks like it has all the features of the MSD 6AL for $100 less. I compared them on the Summit web site

Link - Fixed by McMark

Anybody seen or heard of this new Summit part?

What do you think of YOUR upgraded ignition? I've read before that MSD is worth it. I've also read they fail easily due to heat and vibration and aren't worth the money.

Anybody run the Mallory HyFire system? Or Pertronix multi-spark, always multispark?!

Any other thoughts?
Just hocus pocus? biggrin.gif

I would purchase and install this in October when I have more $$ and won't throw me up a class in the PCA GGR AX series.
beerchug.gif
Joe Ricard
I have a Mallory Hyfire with rev limiter.
worked pretty good with my 009 dizzy compufire trigger and bosch blue coil.

Later upgraded to Mallory hy-fire Mallory Dizzy, Mallory PRO E coil. and Tangerine header.

Each component incrementally made more power, better milage 29 MPG.

Borderline
I just bought the Mallory Hyfire 6AL to go with the Mallory dizzy. It was $160 at amazon.com. The first unit didn't limit the revs! returned it for another and it's working gud!
Twystd1
Your LINKY is no bueno.....

Clayton
McMark
Fixed your link, I hope that's the right part. wink.gif
blitZ
So, will one of these devices work with my Crane Optical and Flamethrower coil? Keep us posted how the Summit unit works out.
Joe Ricard
Yes it will work.
Chris Pincetich
That link worked for me...musta been in my cookies already or something.
Thanks for the fix - that IS the part I was talkin about.
I'll be sure to follow-up if and when I get one of these installed.
beerchug.gif
blitZ
Is this the model, Mallory 6853M? Does it require an adapter for the tach?
Joe Ricard
Looks a lot like the mallory with Summit name plate.
My stock tach did not work, even had the adapter. didn't work.
bought Autometer 5" monster tach it fits great in stock hole.
Borderline
Yeah, the instructions are the same as the Mallory. The tach can be made to work. Aaron had a thread a while back. The hard part is opening up the tach. There is a resistor on the input to the tach. Aaron bypassed the resistor and was happy. i soldered a wire and brought it out the back. I then experimented and as of now have a 20K ohm resistor in line and it works pretty good.

Good luck Chris!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.