Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question: under the Targa Bar
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Johny Blackstain
I've been around 914s' for 33 yrs & have no idea what those 6 holes, 3 on the left & 3 on the right, are for?
BS Chairman
I've been told that they hold a ski rack. My friend says that he has the racks!?!
Gary
Johny Blackstain
That would make sense, since the top comes off. Anyone have any pics of an OEM rack?

BTW- Tom: talk about a bling bling accessory!
davep
Could be for sale.Click to view attachment
Johny Blackstain
Dave- how the hell does that thing mount onto the car & is that what the holes are really for?
edrotol
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Aug 24 2007, 04:29 PM) *

I've been around 914s' for 33 yrs & have no idea what those 6 holes, 3 on the left & 3 on the right, are for?

Yes, they are for ski racks. The one shown is the length-of-the-car kind which uses either side where the 3 holes may be but the the across-the-roof one (made of two pieces) uses the 6 holes altogether.

Do this.

Look under the seal in the front header where the targa attaches to and you will ot two "pits". One long piece of the ski rack attaches to those two "pits" if you want to call it that.

Then the other long piece has attachments with triangular shaped ends that is
attached to those 6 holes (3 holes per triangular piece) by of course metric bolts.
I have a couple of the ski racks that's why I know. When not attached you then use the plastic plugs that comes with the car, either brown or black, to plug the holes.
scotty b
Search for ski rack on here. This was brought up a while back and there are some factory pics in that thread. Kinda neat....kinda stupid.....top has to be off to mount the ski rack ( insert frozen nuts smilie rolleyes.gif )
anderssj
A different style ski rack shown on my friend Larry's car--maybe the type scotty b mentioned? (have to remove the top to install the front bar)

I also had a bike rack that used those same holes for the bracket that held the handlebars.
davep
I don't know if the factory actually offered accessories to fit the car or not. However, that is precisely what the six holes and two receptacles are for. The roof does not have to be fully removed to install the rack, just pulled back about a half inch to expose the receptacles. The plastic cups are there to protect the paint and should not need to be removed. I only know of black cups. Once the nose of the rack is installed into the receptacle, then the roof can be locked into place again, and the rear of the rack can be bolted in place.
Gustl
the ski rack was part of the mag ad "The Schuss Porsche":

IPB Image

the price list for optional equipment from MY'73 (print # 1013.11) shows it too:
order number: 914.801.901.10

bye1.gif Gustl
euro911
QUOTE(anderssj @ Aug 25 2007, 08:57 PM) *
A different style ski rack shown on my friend Larry's car--maybe the type scotty b mentioned? (have to remove the top to install the front bar)

I also had a bike rack that used those same holes for the bracket that held the handlebars.
IPB Image
Do you know what wheels those are on Larry's car? They kind of look like ATS, but different than the ATS wheels I've seen in the past.
dlkawashima
QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 20 2012, 06:40 PM) *

Do you know what wheels those are on Larry's car? They kind of look like ATS, but different than the ATS wheels I've seen in the past.

They look like Ronal Kleeblatt wheels.
euro911
Just did a Google search on them. Nice wheels - and expensive sad.gif

Guess I'll stick with mt cheap ATS wheels.

Thanks smile.gif
larryM
QUOTE(BS Chairman @ Aug 24 2007, 05:42 PM) *

I've been told that they hold a ski rack. My friend says that he has the racks!?!
Gary

Ski Rack

- several different mfgrs & styles - I have 2 sets from early '70's

".. vintage Mohn ski rack for the Porsche 914. Made of aluminum alloy. Simple to install, the top part bolts just under the targa bar in existing factory mounting holes and the rear part attaches to the bumper (tow-eye-hole) with one bolt. Great "extra points" item for Concours, too."

recently put em on ebay for $49/set - no bids -

e_artiles
Can you still get the black plastic plugs that cover the holes under the targa bar?
BKLA
I still have my A & T ski rack that I bought in 1974. Front attached to the targa bar, but the rear attached to the tow eye on the rear bumper. Worked great for any ski over 180cm. But my short ballet ski's didn't fit sad.gif

Similar to the locking barracrafter, but both ends had the flip over locking bracket.

I fabricated a bike rack similar to the current thule style back then to carry my road bike... but the fulcrum effect played havoc (twist) when cornering even with straps connected to each side of the targa bar.

The location also makes a great light bar connection point... it just looks weird...
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(e_artiles @ Sep 19 2013, 07:36 PM) *

Can you still get the black plastic plugs that cover the holes under the targa bar?

I got mine from George @ AA, but he owed them to me so I paid nothing for them.
lennyhope
QUOTE(anderssj @ Aug 26 2007, 03:57 AM) *

Does anyone know what kind of screw fits the 3 (6) holes at the back and how it fits on the front? Screws at the front too?

Just bought one of these racks on evilbay.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.