Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stalls at idle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
michael8345
Help please! My 74 1.8 Djet dies at an idle, it runs okay at higher rpms but the tach just goes to nothing and it dies at idle.

The problems is it is intermitten (sp?) Sometimes it does, sometimes not.

It will start up right away and there is some gas smell.

Ayone familiar with this problem? thanks.

I am planning a longer trip but not with this problem!
lotus_65
Where ya been, Mike?
I don't know djet, but if you want someone to go through hoses and physical stuff we could meet later Sunday afternoon. Maybe I can get Dave too...

call or write back~
paul
Brando
Are you sure it's D-Jet?

1.7s and 2.0s had D-Jetronic on them.

1.8s had L-Jetronic.

The two are very different. Please post up a pic of your engine bay so we can tell which you have.
michael8345
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

D Jet or L jet? Thanks for the help!
SirAndy
QUOTE(michael8345 @ Aug 24 2007, 07:38 PM) *

D Jet or L jet? Thanks for the help!

L-Jet

and dirty ...
biggrin.gif Andy
Brando
Start by replacing all of your vacuum lines. That's usually the #1 reason why L-Jet (and D-Jet) has failures. All of those rubber hoses in there, except fuel lines, should be replaced. Check back with us after you have done that smile.gif

If it still has stalling issues after that, it could be a timing problem, bad points & condensor, stuck open/closed injector, bad vacuum pot on the distributor... The list goes on and on. First and foremost start with the most common problem, as mentioned.

Looks like someone was smart enough to replace those intake manifold seals with rubber instead of the cloth-covered hose that is normally on there.

When you've got no vacuum leaks, the engine properly timed, good points and good ignition, L-Jet runs fabulous.
Rick L
Mine does the same thing. I just replaced the vac lines and now I've discovered a fuel leak underneath (had the gas smell too). I haven't tracked it yet, but it's under the block, not the pump.

FYI, before I replaced the lines, it would not run for more than a couple secs.

Good luck, I'll let you know what I find.
smash.gif welder.gif driving.gif
Cap'n Krusty
A proper tuneup, beginning with a valve adjustment is the first step. Inspect the TWO seals on the oil filler, as well as the condition of the gasket at it's base. Replace as necessary. All the vacuum lines and hoses need to be in excellent condition. The vacuum advance/retard can needs to be intact and functional. Vacuum leaks KILL L-jet systems.

BTW, FLAPS hose really doesn't fit, so don't even bother. The Cap'n
michael8345
"it could be a timing problem," I had this done this spring

bad points & condensor, (Also done this spring)

stuck open/closed injector, ( How can I check this?)

bad vacuum pot on the distributor ( How can I check this?)

I am replacing one vacuum line, the rest were done last year, but one old one remains.

Next? Thanks.
SirAndy
QUOTE(michael8345 @ Aug 25 2007, 12:59 PM) *

Next?

a bag of rags and some engine de-gunker ... FERG.gif

check all your wires, espacially the ground connectors. make sure none of the wires are brittle, they'll break inside.

also check the relay board. make sure the underside isn't flaking off.

you got a voltmeter? if so, check all connections on the board for connectivity and resistance. do the same with your engine harness wires.

a lot of times odd problems like yours can be traced back to neglected, old wiring ...
popcorn[1].gif Andy
rhodyguy
other sources of vac leaks. injector seals (easy to renew) and the phenolic spacers/gaskets at the intake runner to head. the runner to plenum hoses are pretty crappy too. you shouldn't need the clamps. i can't figure out what the hell the story is with the engine compartment fan hoses. for now, get them out of the way and cap the j-tubes so you have room to work.

k
michael8345
piratenanner.gif Hello,

I drove it today after fixing the vacuum line and so far it seems to be fine, I got it warm and it did not die, thanks to all of your help.

Mike smilie_pokal.gif
Rick L
QUOTE(michael8345 @ Aug 26 2007, 07:18 PM) *

piratenanner.gif Hello,

I drove it today after fixing the vacuum line and so far it seems to be fine, I got it warm and it did not die, thanks to all of your help.

Mike smilie_pokal.gif

Here's a great link for future trouble-shooting:

http://manuals.type4.org/ljet
driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.