Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are only 2.0 heads vented
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bill Smith
I have a 1.7 and a 1.8 engine - one of these have vented heads with the little pipe coming off by the spark plug hole - I had been told that only 2.0 heads have the vent - Is this correct

thanks, Bill
Allan
From what I have been told and even experienced, the 2 liter heads are not all vented from the factory.

I had a '75 2.0 that had to be modified for the head venting.

So.Cal.914
No, it is not just the 2.0's. I have 72 1.7 heads that are vented.
computers4kids
All of my 75 and 76 2.0S have had only one head vented. I have two 75 1.8s that have one head vented...both the 2.0S and 1.8S, in my case, are venting the passenger head.
JPB
With a CB Performance breather box, you can plumb the valve covers and the breather stack all in one kit and get the same effect. The heads that were vented with the car I got from you are a PITA to put a rubber line and a hose clamp on due to access at the carb intakes. A well done job on the valve covers would be my pick since I did it on a friend's car and they don't leak and are holding well. beer.gif
BMXerror
Could someone fill in a clueless guy as to what this is for?
Mark D.
JPB
Venting the engine helps in releaving crank case preasure from high revs and high volume oil pumps. Bill had four hoses used on this one, all I did was add an after market breather box. The oil filler box has a case preasure vent on it for this purpose but many engines do not have head vent tubes. When using an after market high volume oil pump, Jake Rabi suggests having head vents because an oil tight engine can become an oil leaking one. beer.gif
Brando
Choose your venting location wisely. If you vent to your engine bay and still have the stock heating setup, you'll get oil stench inside the car when driving. Vent to a wheel well or under the engine tin...
JPB
Interesting point and well noted. Here I though my oil smell came from the fogging effect of the oil burning on my exhaust but when all that is fixed, I will see if it still smells like it does. beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.