Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I thought an engine fell on me!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
Holly Moly! I was stripping my latest uggly duckling project and finally got to unbolting the bumpers. OK...never took off bumpers on a late 914...cool just unplug harness and two bolts...wow how easy. Put my air racket to work and then it happended...it felt like an engine fell on me!!! Holy Crap! Those bumpers are heavy...I need a bigger motor! I've always heard people mention that they were heavier but had no idea what a differnce than the earlier bumpers. I'm going to have to ad NOS to this 1.8. av-943.gif
JPB
Heavy bumpers are safe bumpers and those I had on the Benzee were more like battering rams. I'm keeping the Beater all steel for that reason and will remove the front battery setup so I could put a spare tire in the front again. The alure of the FG car is cool but an all steel car is addicitng also and an interesting compromise in its own right. Car looks great so far and keep up the good work.beer.gif
Brando
Bumpers and shocks, front and rear, altogether weighs in around 225# I think.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Aug 26 2007, 09:11 AM) *

Holly Moly! I was stripping my latest uggly duckling project and finally got to unbolting the bumpers. OK...never took off bumpers on a late 914...cool just unplug harness and two bolts...wow how easy. Put my air racket to work and then it happended...it felt like an engine fell on me!!! Holy Crap! Those bumpers are heavy...I need a bigger motor! I've always heard people mention that they were heavier but had no idea what a differnce than the earlier bumpers. I'm going to have to ad NOS to this 1.8. av-943.gif

Or you could just chuck those boat anchors and backdate to early steel or glass.
Eric_Shea
Or you could just chuck those boat anchors and backdate to early steel or glass.

What she said...
LarryR
Wow thanks for the warning. I am pulling off my '75 bumpers today and had no idea that they would weigh that much.
Brando
When I replaced my rear bumper (had ripped up bumper tits) I found out that Joe Sharp wasn't kidding when they weighed in as anchors. Luckily I found a home for my old one... Target's dumpster seemed cozy for it laugh.gif

I second the back-dating to early bumpers or fiberglass.
VaccaRabite
I like the look of the late bumpers on the 914, and my car has them. Once I am done with the real guts of my restoration, I am planning on making a foam insert to replace the steel, similar to how modern bumpers are made. Steel bar in the center for strength, and foam filling out the rest of it. I figure I will make a glassfibre mold from the existing steel insert, and then inject the foam into that.

Others have suggested starting with a foam "log" and carving the shape out of it. While this would be easier then injection molding, I would not be able to add the steel insert this way.

If I can get this to work, it will have the look of the big black bumpers that I like, be lighter then the early bumpers, and still survive a 5mph bump.

Zach
alpha434
WHAT?!?!? How can they be that heavy? They'd need to be filled with LEAD to be that heavy. Crikeys!
Eric_Shea
Once I am done with the real guts of my restoration, I am planning on making a foam insert to replace the steel, similar to how modern bumpers are made. Bla, bla, bla, bla, bla, bla, bla, bla, bla, bla, bla, bla, bla, bla, bla.
rolleyes.gif

And those of us who are "already" fathers know what a pipe dream that is! w00t.gif

Once baby makes three your foam inserting, steel baring, fiberglass molding days are GONE Mister!! av-943.gif

wink.gif
alpha434
Just expanding foam would work. The heavier, the better, probly.
purple
Hmmm, isnt taking off 100 lbs of unsightly fat on a car worth a tenth on the 1/4 mile?

methinks taking 226 lbs of unsightly fat on the 914 would make it a little faster, yeah?

now....somebody please inform el presidente where he can get some glass bumpers

Pretty please with sugar on top biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(purple @ Aug 27 2007, 08:53 AM) *

Hmmm, isnt taking off 100 lbs of unsightly fat on a car worth a tenth on the 1/4 mile?

methinks taking 226 lbs of unsightly fat on the 914 would make it a little faster, yeah?

now....somebody please inform el presidente where he can get some glass bumpers

Pretty please with sugar on top biggrin.gif

They were heavy... But they certainly were not 225# More like 50# an end or less. Someone must have an accurate weight...
Brian Mifsud
Keep them unaltered if you are gonna commute in traffic. They work!

The next significant chunk of mass in the front end to protect you is the spare tire.. then there is that "rough and tumble" fuel tank....... sad.gif
purple
Say I give the middle finger to safety and put some glass ones on because they look nice...would these fit a 76 that has no fender flares?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...em=130147463988

thanks
Chuck
If you decide to backdate, I've got the front and rear bumpers off of my '73 for sale. You can see pictures in the classifieds.
Eric_Shea
Yup, but you may want to glass in the oil cooler opening unless you plan to go that route.
Rand
Thank God for good deals on fiberglass bumpers. (Hi Root! wavey.gif )
I got a pair for $150. The most challenging part of the conversion was getting rid of the old boat anchors. :PUKE: barf.gif :hurl: :choke: :gag: pirate.gif (Hint: "boxster" likes them. Haha. Just kidding Craig.)

Glad those heavy-ass tankers are long gone! And Q. Where is the worst place to have extra weight?? A. AT THE ENDS!!!! OY!
AZ914
My anchors are coming off permenantly in a couple of weeks... I'll give each a big bear hug and get on a scale.. see what they really weigh.

I actually like the look of the bigblackbumpers from the profile.. thats about it though.
purple
Eric, why would I glass in the oil cooler opening? is there any disadvantage to just leaving a hole there? I have a valence from a bmw on my car, dont ask me why, it just came that way. it has a hole there too..
Eric_Shea
Nada... it just goes to nothing unless you put a cooler there.
purple
kinda like a park bench wing on a civic? happy11.gif
davep
Glass bumpers may add to performance but offer no protection to the bodywork at all. The first minor bump in traffic could be very expensive.
alpha434
BEEP! Wrong answer.

How many teeners are running around with a chrome bumper. You can't say the first bump won't be expensive for a nice, early bumper!

Next. If you get hit, then it's their fault. If you hit them, it's yours. Duh. Less mass=less breaking distance= less likely you will be surprised.

Bottom line. It's my theory that if you have a car that you feel is worth glassing up (i.e. NOT 100% original, not a perfect restoration. ) Then you might as well do whatever you want. And don't drink and drive.
purple
thanks alpha, i was going to say the chrome bumpers are likely to be just as useless as fiber as far as 'reducing cost if someone bumps me'

in fact, if it's just a bump, i bet i could fix the bumpers for 10 bux of fiber and epoxy....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.