Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bay Area Caravan to the RRC in Moab ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
SirAndy
so far, we have at least 2 914s, maybe 3 if McMark can work out the kinks in time.

- SirAndy + some Girl i met the other day
- Jim Tabor + Wife (?)
- McMark + (?)

the plan is to leave early thursday (20th) and stay overnight in either reno or somewhere further up 80.
then drive through to moab on friday.

coming back monday (24th).

anybody else from the greater bay area or nevada or utah going?
idea.gif Andy
SirAndy
978 Miles and ~15 Hours ...

McMark
Where's Fiid? Tom Trudell? Rob Sime? I'm sure there's more...

Jeff Keyzer is out.

I need to prepare myself for a nerve wracking trip... unsure.gif
jaminM3
I am going...

But, the 914 is a pile of parts so I will be driving my E36 M3. I am 20 miles south of SLC. I was planning on leaving on Friday sometime.. thumb3d.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 26 2007, 02:03 PM) *

http://www.swamij.com/om-mantra.htm
unsure.gif
carreraguy
QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 26 2007, 03:03 PM) *

Sorry, can't make it. Considering the $$ I've got in the car I decided to get a stated value policy and a 1,800 miles trip would put me over the annual limit for the year.
Allan
QUOTE(carreraguy @ Aug 26 2007, 03:35 PM) *

Sorry, can't make it. Considering the $$ I've got in the car I decided to get a stated value policy and a 1,800 miles trip would put me over the annual limit for the year.

Disconnect the speedo.... happy11.gif
McMark
Allan's thinking... happy11.gif
TROJANMAN
WOW, I didn't realize it was so far.
Is that the same route you guys took last year?

I don't know if you guys know this guy, PORSCHECB, but he expressed interest in making the trip too. wink.gif

Tom, don't the insuranvce companies make exceptions on the mileage if you are driving to an event? I think i still owe you a beer smile.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Aug 26 2007, 08:30 PM) *

let's put this in perspective, shall we? shades.gif

if you started out in Frankfurt am Main, Germany (red dot in center), 978 miles would get you anywhere inside the red circle ...
blink.gif Andy

Click to view attachment
McMark
America is big. Where'd I put my SUV?

Wait a second... Leaving early on Thursday and stopping in Reno? Uhhh, what're we going to do for the other 12 hours in Reno? Reno's only 4ish hours away.

Let's go to West Wendover NV. It's 9 hours and that'll leave us around 6 hours on Friday.
Eric_Shea
America is big. Where'd I put my SUV?

Pretty sure you parked it back in the rental car lot. wink.gif
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 26 2007, 09:43 PM) *

QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Aug 26 2007, 08:30 PM) *

let's put this in perspective, shall we? shades.gif

if you started out in Frankfurt am Main, Germany (red dot in center), 978 miles would get you anywhere inside the red circle ...
blink.gif Andy

Click to view attachment

That is certainly an interesting perspective. Crazy when you think of it like that.
But of course, there is no place like Moab anywhere on that map rolleyes.gif

See you guys soon wink.gif
TROJANMAN
Andy,
What's the crow's flight radius on your trip?
It looks like you're driving pretty far North to come south again.

Just curious idea.gif
jimtab
I agree Andy, take a look at going on hwy 50 from Reno...much shorter, and more lonely...not much out there but we'd save a couple hundred miles each way it looks like...just looking at your map...I don't have a good one...guess I'll mapquest the two routes. Nope, just looked 929 miles and 17.5 hours...must be a MUCH slower hwy. blink.gif
McMark
I did the same thing last year Jim. wink.gif 80 is more out of the way, but faster. blink.gif
carreraguy
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Aug 26 2007, 09:30 PM) *

Tom, don't the insurance companies make exceptions on the mileage if you are driving to an event? I think i still owe you a beer smile.gif

Hi Greg!
I wish! My policy only allows 2,500mi/year and this includes car-related events. Strictly speaking, I can't even drive it to work. Of course, no racing etc. either. I'm still doing autocross when I can though. I'll get that beer somehow.
Later,
Ferg

QUOTE(carreraguy @ Aug 26 2007, 03:35 PM) *

If you have Hagerty, just call them, miles to and from such a event do not count against your total. smile.gif
ConeDodger

Jeff Keyzer is out.

I am a possible... I need help for at least a day to get the engine and systems hooked up. The Bumblebee is not street legal so it is not a possibility... I just can't seem to even get time to work alone on the darn thing much less me and another guy... I'm about to drag the whole mess down to McMark.
fiid
QUOTE(jimtab @ Aug 26 2007, 10:16 PM) *

I agree Andy, take a look at going on hwy 50 from Reno...much shorter, and more lonely...not much out there but we'd save a couple hundred miles each way it looks like... (chopped)

That's exactly what the Donner party thought smile.gif. Present in my mind only because I went to the museum last week.

According to the late James Montebello, 50 is one of the true great roads, and should absolutely be driven. I need to do that once. The thought of taking my 914 through lonely roads in Nevada is truly terrifying though... smile.gif

I have clearance from the wife to go - so I plan to be rolling with the Gang.
driving.gif

Fiid.

P.S. This will be my first 914 event as a US Citizen - I was sworn in on Tue!
flag.gif
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(fiid @ Aug 27 2007, 12:41 PM) *

I have clearance from the wife to go - so I plan to be rolling with the Gang.
driving.gif

AWESOME!!!!

flag.gif
EVEN BETTER clap56.gif
Congrats smile.gif

fiid
Thanks! Suppose I ought to get registered smile.gif

Fiidster.
SirAndy
QUOTE(fiid @ Aug 27 2007, 11:41 AM) *

This will be my first 914 event as a US Citizen - I was sworn in on Tue!

time to get rid of that *fake* british accent ... biggrin.gif

80 is the way to fly. 75mph for 700 miles or so. two lane highway. boring as hell but much better than them backroads ...

driving.gif Andy
ConeDodger
QUOTE(fiid @ Aug 27 2007, 02:50 PM) *

Thanks! Suppose I ought to get registered smile.gif

Fiidster.

Yes and you need to get registered for the draft... We are going to need you in Iraq. ar15.gif

Seriously, congratulations!
jimtab
Congrats Fiid, now you can bitch with the rest of us with impunity...glad you're going with us.
Jenny
WTG Fiid! Having to go thru the naturalization process myself, I think it makes you more appreciative of being an american citizen.

You'll still speak with that charming british accent and exclaim "bloody hell" right?

Jen
fiid
Bloody right! smile.gif

I'm stoked to be heading to Utah! I'm trying to persuade Keyzer to come too smile.gif
MartyYeoman
It's a no-go for me. I'll be up in Oregon that weekend.
The same thing happened to me last year. Oh well, maybe next year.

Congradulations Fiid. Welcome to the club. smilie_pokal.gif
Toast

flag.gif

thumb3d.gif

Congratulations! smilie_pokal.gif
Welcome, and thanks for going about it the legal way. flag.gif
Eric_Shea

Congrats. smilie_pokal.gif

We went through that in March of 05, not a dry eye in the house.

Now... why don't you guys leave at a decent (early) hour so you can get here in time for BBQ and brews? And yes, Tabby can sleep on the couch again (man... I thought I snored.) blink.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 28 2007, 03:48 PM) *

(man... I thought I snored.) blink.gif

You don't when you're playing a meat whistle!
Jenny
QUOTE(Toast @ Aug 28 2007, 02:12 PM) *

Welcome, and thanks for going about it the legal way. flag.gif

hehehe... spoken like a true SoCal-- or any Californian, for that matter!

Jen
Eric_Shea

banned.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 28 2007, 04:20 PM) *

banned.gif

Harrumph ..... Ok, I'm taking my stirthepot.gif attitude and leaving. My work is done here ... on to another thread.

You sure are sensitive about thumb sucking.
mightyohm
I want to go but I signed up for a machine shop class that goes every Thursday night. sad.gif Well, I am biggrin.gif about the class. biggrin.gif
carreraguy

flag.gif

Congrats Fiid! Welcome to the "Big Club" that charges fees! biggrin.gif
Trevorg7
Thinking about making the trip too. I will know in the next few days. Keep me posted on the caravan plans.

T
Trevorg7
Andy, Jim, Mark, Fiid - Are your plans to leave Moab on Sunday, spend the night in Nevada and home on Monday?

Let me know.

T
ConeDodger
OK, I have been cleared to go but... My stepson Nicho is arriving on the 22 of September. I think it is fairly important that I be there for his arrival. So, I guess I am out. sad.gif
fiid
QUOTE(Trevorg7 @ Sep 6 2007, 01:45 PM) *

Andy, Jim, Mark, Fiid - Are your plans to leave Moab on Sunday, spend the night in Nevada and home on Monday?

Let me know.

T

That's what I had in mind. I want to caravan back with people this time if at all possible.

Fiid.
SirAndy
QUOTE(fiid @ Sep 6 2007, 04:20 PM) *

QUOTE(Trevorg7 @ Sep 6 2007, 01:45 PM) *

That's what I had in mind. I want to caravan back with people this time if at all possible.

that was my plan ... Mark? Jim? idea.gif
jimtab
QUOTE(Trevorg7 @ Sep 6 2007, 12:45 PM) *

Let me know.

T

Well, I can't speak for Andy or Mark or Fiid but that is certainly my plan. Jim Actually I don't think we ever had a "plan" just an idea..... biggrin.gif
Trevorg7
Sounds Good. I've got my room booked in Moab. What were your thoughts about the stop on the way out? West Wendover; $55 a night at the Peppermill.

thanks

T
McMark
West Wendover is probably the best idea. Honestly coming home in one shot last time wasn't a big deal. If people are stopping on the way home, I might push through. We'll see how I feel at the time.
Trevorg7
QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 6 2007, 11:02 PM) *

West Wendover is probably the best idea. Honestly coming home in one shot last time wasn't a big deal. If people are stopping on the way home, I might push through. We'll see how I feel at the time.

I am with you...coming home I would be up for going straight through.

T
Toast
Would you guys mind if some non-914 people caravan down with you guys from Elko, NV?

My friends that were at RRC last year want to come down again this year.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Toast @ Sep 9 2007, 10:47 AM) *

Would you guys mind if some non-914 people caravan down with you guys from Elko, NV?

My friends that were at RRC last year want to come down again this year.

pas de problème ...
bye1.gif Andy
jimtab
Yeah, the more the merrier...especially if we have to push one...or something....
jimtab
OK, since I have the time today I thought I'd try to firm up the plans everyone has so that we might get to cross the desert together from Reno to SLC. I plan to either leave after the traffic on Wed. night and sleep over in Reno, that will make an easy roll to Wendover the next day and ony a 2 hour run to SLC on Friday where we may be able to link up with the gang there and caravan with them into Moab....what I need is a firm count of who is going and if you would rather go up on Wed. nite or at o'dark :30 Thurs. am and we meet and leave together from Reno...we should try to cross the desert in a bunch...you know, just in case. I'll try to get hold of Eric Shea and find out when the SLC mob are gonna leave for Moab and we will have a plan. If the phone is easier I'm at 650-355-1827 and I'll be around most of the day today(Thurs.9/13) Tomorrow were driving to celebrate 9/14/07 driving.gif beerchug.gif poke.gif av-943.gif
fiid
I was going to propose meeting up at Rudy's Can't Fail Cafe in Oakland for breakfast on Thursday morning, and heading out once we were done eating.....

I don't think I'm going to get away with leaving on Wednesday night (kids to look after), although it's not impossible. I'll try to get clearance from the tower.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.