Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: eBay ads in our classifieds...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Rusty
This is my opinion only, and not an official admin view. However, I would like to know if I'm off-base.

I buy and occasionally sell on eBay. But I don't advertise my eBay crap on the 914 Club classifieds. It just seems wrong to me to do that. If I'm going to put something in the Classifieds, then it's open to anyone to buy outright... not for an auction, that some other company is going to make money off of.

Anyone agree? Anyone disagree and can show me why I'm wrong?

-Rusty smoke.gif
r_towle
disagree
Andyrew
If they put a "buy it now" on it...

I like it because I can see some items that I might have overlooked.. And it keeps the Classifieds active.

But I dont sell much on ebay and I think it would be an unfair advantage against those who dont put their ebay add on here..

Andrew
Gint
I dunno...

If it's something I need, I end up checking out the auction anyway and possibly buying. But fundamentally, I miss the good old days when you had something to sell, somebody needed it, you worked out a price both were happy with and everybody wins.

Whaddya gonna do? huh.gif
Rusty
But I dont sell much on ebay and I think it would be an unfair advantage against those who dont put their ebay add on here..

Hey bud,

Can you explain that to me... or give me an example so I understand what you mean?

-Rusty smoke.gif
Brad Roberts
This is a tough one.

I personally will do this starting in Jan. Not everyone knows about the club site.. but a LOT of people know about Ebay. What I will DO is run Ebay ads with HUGE 914CLUB links eveywhere on the Ebay page. I need to sell parts/cars and I need the largest audience I can get. It is very difficult for me to watch Ebay 914 parts selling for more than they should (and I'm missing out on the money).

I'm all for a Ebay section in the classifieds (all Ebay ads GO here). I normally run the ad and dont say a damn thing about it also running on Ebay. I use Ebay to promote the site. Maybe everyone who runs a Ebay classifieds ads here needs to ad a link in their Ebay ads to this club site ?? (basically the club would benefit from this and we can swallow having the Ebay ads in the classifieds) If somebody runs an Ebay on here and their... I'm sure plenty of club members would let them know they need to add a link to the club site for running it in both places.

Thoughts ??

B
Gint
If and when I get around to purging parts on ebay, I'd be only to happy to include a link to 914club
Rusty
If it's something I need, I end up checking out the auction anyway and possibly buying. But fundamentally, I miss the good old days when you had something to sell, somebody needed it, you worked out a price both were happy with and everybody wins.

Yeah. That's the feeling I have. This issue has been bothering me for some time. Maybe I'm way off base. headbang.gif

The ads that get under my skin the worst are "Hi! I have a bunch of crap on eBay... see this link to check out everything I have for sale at http://ebaycrap.com/blah/blah/blah/\"
Brad Roberts
You let me know when you see that type of ad. I'll delete it and send the owner of the ad a nice email stating that we dont want it worded that way. That also chaps my ass.

B
Rusty
Brad,

I wasn't trying to rain on your parade, brother. smile.gif

A prominent 914 Club link makes the eBay referrals more palatable. I like the idea of a eBay only section... or perhaps "EBAY" at the beginning of each ad title, like we do "OT" for off-topic threads.

-Rusty smoke.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Dec 21 2003, 01:15 PM)
You let me know when you see that type of ad. I'll delete it and send the owner of the ad a nice email stating that we dont want it worded that way. That also chaps my ass.

B

Thought that the rules here were kinda a group consensus???

I thought that was the appeal to this site versus PP or Rennlist...

Just MHO.

Rich
Rusty

smile.gif

When it happens, it's usually someone posting a single part... with the rest of the "see my eBay crap" as a P.S.

Or maybe I'm just nostalgic and irritable today. confused24.gif
Brad Roberts
I'll add the EBAY ONLY section to the classifieds.

I knew you where not "raining on my parade" laugh.gif I was just trying to come up with a compromise.

A lot of the times.. I dont even know a certain Ebay ad is running unless somebody posts it in the classifieds.

The whole idea would be to let people know that we have a FREE classifieds ads section (people running ads on Ebay)

Or MAYBE we should have our own bidding area ?

B
Bleyseng
I like the ad with "Ebay" at the start. I cruise the ads alot lookin for stuff and look at Ebay. I hate the "Look at my Ebay ad for all the crap I have to sell" ads.... Mostly they don't even list in the classifieds here what they have to sell, just a link.

Maybe, just a Ebay ads section would be cool too.

Geoff
r_towle
I am also nostalgic for the old days, but Ebay seems to have a popular thing going...
Dont love it...I do use it though...

I usually will put it here for about two weeks....if no real action it goes to Ebay...I like that approach...and the Ebay section would still allow everyone to do both...

I think if we have a dedicated ebay section just allow them to do whatever they want there...within reason...

Rich
Gint
Or MAYBE we should have our own bidding area ?

Gimme a break already. We don't need another ebay. I like the idea of friends and fellow 914 whack jobs bartering, trading and wheelin and dealin for their parts.
echocanyons
I THINK that if you have to use ebay (which is a good source) why dont you post them on the classifieds first. That gives the group first chance then if it doesnt sell post it on ebay then post a link in the classifieds.

I just think why would someone pay when more than likely it will move if you list it here.
VegasRacer
I have sold 914 items both on eBay and in our classifieds. I don't think we should be a bill board whore for eBay. If you want to give your 914World.com friends first option, great. List it here with a fixed price. If you want to put it up for auction on eBay, go for it. (For example, I am sure I could have sold the large porcelain model for much more on eBay, but I wanted it to go to a good home so I sold it here.) Money is not everything.

I would have no problem if we had a separate 'Now on eBay' category as a service to our members.

I thing that including a link to this site in your eBay adds would be a nice touch.
Brad Roberts
Dont worry GINT.. I forgot to add the smilie after that.

Richard,

You are correct about the "group consensus".. I think you will find a overwhelming majority HATE when somebody posts a single line link like LB typed in (See me Ebay ad and the haul ass). I weigh each one I see out: Do they participate on the BBS ?? Yes. OK they can run that ad and I send a nice email asking them not to do that. NO. Then they get an email and I delete the ad. The email that gets sent out explains that we dont appreciate the short ad telling them to go elsewhere (same thing DUNK is pissed about on Rennlist).. I really HATE when somebody runs an ad here and they say NOTHING but post a link to Pelican classifieds or Ebay (what kind of LAZY MOFO does that ?? COPY AND PASTE and everything would be fine. Write your ad and post it everywhere you want..again COPY AND PASTE.. not a friggin one line LINK ar15.gif

B
Andyrew
Ebay subforum Good..

Good Idea Brad!

Andrew
Brad Roberts
This is done. I will re-order them so the Ebay stuff is not at the top.

Check it out.

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Dec 21 2003, 01:14 PM)
see this link to check out everything I have for sale at http://ebaycrap.com/blah/blah/blah/"

hey, your link doesn't work ... laugh.gif
Brad Roberts
Can you figure out how to reorder the classifieds ??

I can even view the code..

I want the Ebay above Race cars.. but below the main page.

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Dec 21 2003, 03:22 PM)
Can you figure out how to reorder the classifieds ??

right now, they're ordered by date of creation ...

i can order them alphabetically.
everything other than that requires database changes ...

Andy
Brad Roberts
Cant falsify the date ?

When I first created them.. I knew how it worked and "scripted" how and what would end up first.

I'm afraid to see what would happen if we did it alpha.

B
Gint
Dont worry GINT.. I forgot to add the smilie after that.

I knew you were jokin. I forgot the smilie too. I chose my words on purpose hoping for a chuckle... laugh.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Dec 21 2003, 03:30 PM)
Cant falsify the date ?

ok, gimme the exact order you want them in.

i'll "tweak" the dates wink.gif

Andy
VegasRacer
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 21 2003, 03:21 PM)
hey, your link doesn't work ...  laugh.gif

Neither does yours from the classified page.

If you want to browse the "old style" classifieds, click here
SirAndy
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Dec 21 2003, 04:16 PM)
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 21 2003, 03:21 PM)
hey, your link doesn't work ...  laugh.gif

Neither does yours from the classified page.

If you want to browse the "old style" classifieds, <a href="res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\shdoclc.dll/http_404.htm#http://www.914world.com/wantads/wantadscurrent.html">click here</a>

fixed laugh.gif
DuckRyder
QUOTE(echocanyons @ Dec 21 2003, 05:28 PM)
I THINK that if you have to use ebay (which is a good source) why dont you post them on the classifieds first. That gives the group first chance then if it doesnt sell post it on ebay then post a link in the classifieds.

I just think why would someone pay when more than likely it will move if you list it here.

Bingo!
VegasRacer
Problem notice Posted: Dec 21 2003, 04:16 PM by VegasRacer.
Problem solved Posted on Dec 21 2003, 04:18 PM by SirAndy.

Now that is what I call service. pray.gif
biosurfer1
is it me or is it very funny that the first ebay ad doesnt even have a link to the auction laugh.gif as for the whole deal, i have used ebay for years and think its a good place to get parts that would otherwise not be available. i recently sold my old seats and regret not giving people here first shot at them, i thought about them and listed them before thinking(even though they did go to a member) which i will do from now on. i think its the least i can do in return for all the great advise and tips i learn here...
boxstr
I have been buying and selling on ebay since they originated. I do not like to look at a one liner with a link to ebay for "stuff that I have for sale". On this list or any other list. I always respond to the seller and ask them if they will sell it to a 914club person or do I have to bid, zero replies.
I sell items on ebay and in the vendors list. I do not interlink the two with any reference.
If you have something to sell, then put it on the classifieds. And put the price that you want for the item. If you don't have a clue as to what you want for the item then put it on ebay and let the bidders let you know what it is worth to them.
CCLINBUYANDSELLVILLE
garyh
I'd be happier if (my two cents):

People wanting something put their classifieds in the 'wanted' section.

People selling things would put them in the 'for sale' section.

People would delete their wanted ads after they get their stuff.

People would delete their for-sale ads after they sell their stuff.

Gary.

Oh, and shouldn't the carpet guy be added to the vendors section? Sounds like he put a lot of effort into making carpet kits for "our" cars.
Brad Roberts
Most people dont know that they have FULL control over their ads (they have never had this in the past).. I'm even bad about it.

The carpet guy was told he could put his manufactured goods in the vendors area.

B
Brad Roberts
Case in point:

The first ad in the Ebay area... the guy didnt even look to see the 'click' down area for locating the proper area for the post... headbang.gif

B
garyh
What they do on other lists:

Delete the post, with an email to the poster:

You ad was deleted because
[] misclassified
[] overposting
[] prohibited
[] Admin. thinks you're a jerk wink.gif

Here, I would do it as a PM instead of an email. Or mayby in the 'manage you postings' section.

$.02,
G
Brad Roberts
I do send an email to them.. and they normally repost it in the proper area.

The PM's dont work.. because you only see them if you Login into the BBS (not when you log into the classifieds)

And.. people with pop-up blockers dont see them.. and MAC people dont see them.

B
rhodyguy
i don't like the generic link. i don't like it when people sell shit and you have to ask them via email what the cost is. i don't like the format that many use at pp classifieds. i don't like an ad that states " too much stuff to list! email me for your needs(lazy)". you have to pay for the ebay ads. why a free link here? buy a fucking sticker!!! NOW!

kevin
"profane mode"
boxstr
ebay those stickers Kevin.
CCLINCAMP914
rhodyguy
many have suggested that craig and i have considered it. i have not done it for the following reasons.

1. it costs money to ebay. i'm not spending any more $.
2. i will have to address envelopes. i don't want to.
3. i will have to buy stamps. see #1.
4. people that expressed an interest here...
5. i'm lazy and can't be bothered with it.
6. see #'s 1,2,3,4,5.

merry christmas to all and a happy new year!!! wavey.gif

kevin
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Dec 21 2003, 08:38 PM)
The first ad in the Ebay area... the guy didnt even look to see the 'click' down area for locating the proper area for the post... headbang.gif

fixed a bunch of stuff ...

Categories are now ordered right. also, the dropdown on the page where you list a new ad is now ordered too.

Andy
Brad Roberts
Can you think of any way to MAKE people choose the correct category ??

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Dec 22 2003, 12:26 PM)

education? idea.gif
Brad Roberts
Dont start. ar15.gif

B
GWN7
A Warning sign?

"Placing your ad in the wrong catagory will result in a 2000 volt charge coming thru your computer"

cool.gif
garyh
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Dec 22 2003, 12:26 PM)

B

Delete all the posts that are in the wrong category. With extreme prejudice.
914werke
Hey Kevin do you want some cheese with that whine? laugh.gif
Rusty
QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ Dec 22 2003, 12:26 PM)

B  

Delete all the posts that are in the wrong category. With extreme prejudice.

I disagree. Shuffling posts should be an Admin job. I nominate Gary. Kevin, too! lol2.gif

-Rust smoke.gif
Brad Roberts
You cant shuffle them around...only delete them. If I could shuffle them.. I would.

Oh.. and G.. I delete them all the time when they are in the wrong area.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.