Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: seeking advice - sell or keep my 356
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
siverson

This has been a tough day for me - I thought I wanted to sell my 356 but now I'm not so sure...

Background information: I've owned "Three" for just over 7 years and really like it. It's fun to drive although is a little rough. I currently only have my 914 and 356, but only live a mile from work and ride my bike there. Between both cars, I only drive about 5,000 miles per year. Over the past two years, there have been many times that I haven't driven my 356 in over a month...

So, for a long time I've been thinking about selling it. I don't have an immediate need for the cash, but I'm definitely not super rich. It would definitely make a better financial decision to have the cash invested than slowly putting more money into my 356 (storage, maintainence, insurance). But, especially since they have been climbing in value, it's really not that expensive to hang on to either.

So, I actually did write an ad and post the car on eBay about 10 days ago. The high-reserve was not met but now I have found another buyer outside of eBay. We've agreed on the price and he's ready to move forward tomorrow. (yes, I'm the annoying seller now who's thinking about backing out). I think the price we have agreed on is fair, and I'm pretty happy with it.

So, what do I do?!?! My girlfriend (soon to be wife on Friday!) really likes Three too, but we don't drive him that much. We had our first date in Three (but as she points out I had many first dates in Three; true). I'm super busy with work now and don't have any time for the projects that I'd like to start on the 356 (paint, interior). I feel bad when he's just parked and dirty and I go to start him and the battery is dead.... Hmmm... I'm rambling, but would appreciate any insight you guys might have.

Move on, there are always other cars? (Lotus 7? GTI for a "normal" car?)

OR

Keep it, you can never replace those memories (and it's a great car/color combo, etc...)?

-Steve

Here are some photos:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...em=110160194245

http://www.914.com/356/

Twystd1
Follow your needs... Not your wants...

Clayton
euro911
QUOTE(siverson @ Aug 26 2007, 09:54 PM) *
... So, what do I do?!?! My girlfriend (soon to be wife on Friday!) really likes Three too, but we don't drive him that much.

She's a nice looking 356 ... also looks like she doesn't need a lot to get her into pristine condition.

I vote to Keep Her.

If your 'wife' doesn't have heartburn with you having more than one 'P' car, I'd say you're way ahead of the game thumb3d.gif

I know people start selling off hobby stuff when they start having kids ... but then again, after they're all grown up and gone, I've also heard these same people say 'why did I ever sell ...' headbang.gif

rick 918-S
I had a 58 Sunny. Should have never sold it. But when the IRS hold it's hand out you fill it. dry.gif
So.Cal.914
He's a beautiful car, and I would have liked to have kept alot of cars I got rid of.

But I didn't and got over it. If you don't need to sell it right now...don't. You can

always sell it later. smile.gif
mudfoot76
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Aug 27 2007, 09:40 AM) *

If you don't need to sell it right now...don't. You can always sell it later. smile.gif

agree.gif

That is a nice car, and if your new wife approves and you don't need the $$ right now, no need to get rid of it. Just make up reasons to take it out for a drive every so often.
rwjames
I regretted selling many cars I have owned, but you can't keep them all and when it's time to sell I guess you have to let go, even if it's hard. Whether it is time for you to let this go is ultimately up to you to decide.

I sold my 1960 356B last year. It was a fun car to drive and they continue to appreciate at a high rate, but they don't like to sit a lot. With 6 cars, I didn't drive mine much either. Plus, I needed to put a lot of time and money into paint and body work on my 356 and I just decided to sell it and buy something else more modern. Like a 914.

It is a great looking car. I saw it on ebay last week myself. Not the normal white, red, or silver 356 color so it stands out.

I regret selling my 356 a little, but it was time for it to go. I may own another one someday, but for now I enjoy playing with my other toys.

Good luck with your decision.
jasons
I wouldn't sell it unless I needed the money, didn't like it, or wanted/needed something else. Otherwise, if you have garage space or whatever storage space, sit on it. You may never be able to buy it back.

Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(jasons @ Aug 27 2007, 11:30 AM) *

I wouldn't sell it unless I needed the money, didn't like it, or wanted/needed something else. Otherwise, if you have garage space or whatever storage space, sit on it. You may never be able to buy it back.

agree.gif
brer
If it ain't an A
then send it away
angerosa
I recently sold my Maserati Biturbo that I had had for 11 years. I went back and forth like you. But when push came to shove I let it go and I felt like a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders. It ran, it looked good and was fun to drive but eventually I knew it would ask for more money. I took the money from the sale and was able to invest in some really nice additions for my 914. You should know I just had my forst kid almost a year ago. It's hard to maintain so many P cars with house, wife, kids and job. You can appreciate the ones you have a little more.
siverson
Much good advice here - but you guys aren't making this any easier!?! (either way!) smile.gif

-Steve
Johny Blackstain
Honestly, 356s just keep going up & up. I don't think you'll ever be able to replace it without donating a kidney. If you do decide to sell, make sure you get the mans kidney on top of the billion dollars! 356s are bank!
70Sixter
356 coupes are just starting to climb like the cabs have been doing for some time. If you don't HAVE to sell, don't. If you do, don't look back. Tough decision. confused24.gif

Good luck. Best wishes to you and you soon to be Better Half! beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.