Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 with 911 Front end- Which Strut inserts?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jeff Hail
Have a question that I have not seen posted yet....

914 with a 1988 Carerra front end (Boge struts, bigger brakes and control arms with underbody sway bar. Popular upgrade for a 5 lug.

Question:
What inserts would be the correct pick for the front? 911 or 914? I am going with Koni adjutables and all the manufacturers Bilstein, Koni, Boge have different part numbers for the inserts for the 911 and 914 because of different valving.

Anything else I should be aware of? Any problem using the new replacement 914 inserts in the Carerra/ Boge strut tubes? Are the tube dimensions the same. All I can see visually that is different is the crown nut securing the insert. Should I just order the 914 strut inserts for Boge tubes and go?
blitZ
There's a pretty good article on Road Glue, might help.

Road Glue Wiki
Richard Casto
Jeff,

I have been trying to document much of what you are asking on the Wiki page that Les mentions. The Wiki article references some good threads on this forum as well. Here is a thread I started that might have some answers to your questions...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=70929

To answer your question, I "think" you can just use the Koni inserts for Boge struts that are valved for the 914 in the 911 Boge struts. Probably best thing to do is when ordering them to mention that you are using these in 911 Boge struts. For example I called and talked to Jason at Paragon and he should know what combos work.
Eric_Shea
Hi Jeff:

welcome.png

I don't believe there are "any" inserts for that strut that are "officially" for the 914. You could get Koni and Bilsteins revalved for the application (if you deemed it worthwhile).

As stated in that link, there's not too much difference between the 911 and the 914 version of the Koni. Just high speed rebound and from what I understand, it's slight.

I don't believe a 914 or early 911 Boge will fit that strut. I could be wrong though...
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 27 2007, 03:05 PM) *

Hi Jeff:

welcome.png

I don't believe there are "any" inserts for that strut that are "officially" for the 914. You could get Koni and Bilsteins revalved for the application (if you deemed it worthwhile).

As stated in that link, there's not too much difference between the 911 and the 914 version of the Koni. Just high speed rebound and from what I understand, it's slight.

I don't believe a 914 or early 911 Boge will fit that strut. I could be wrong though...

Richard, Eric
Thanks,
I am going call Koni and Bilstein. They should at least be able to tell me if the inserts are dimensionally the same. I know the crown nuts on the strut tubes are different on the outside but I do not know about the inside. If I can get a clear answer from them I will post it.
Thanks again,
Jeff Hail
From Dave at TRE Motorsports.

Use the correct year inserts for the year/ model tubes.
911 inserts in 911 tubes! Any valving differences is minimal -if noticeable.

That was easy......
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.