Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Limited Slip or Not???
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
ok,
I have this race car...
I have a tail shifter and a side shifter...

My question is this...without taking off the rear/front cover of the tranny and removing all the gears, can I figure out what type of Diff is in there??

When I spin one axle forward the other goes forward as well...Chris mentioned that I may have a locker or Locked diff and that running autocross would be a chore with this...

It seems that I could remove the axle hub from the right side and pull off the large plate behind it....but then what would I be looking at and how would I know if its a locker or limited slip??

Help Please

Rich
Brad Roberts
Got a friend close by ??

You hold one wheel.. and have a friend try and turn the other. It only takes about 80lbs to break a LSD loose. If you cannot break it loose.. (at all.. lots of trying).. then you have a locker.

You hold it one way.. while your buddy tries to turn it another.

Another idea.. leave one wheel on the ground and you try and turn the one in the air (no friend required)

Make sure the car is out of gear.

B
r_towle
cool...

I was trying to do it on a bare tranny...

I will try with a few BF pipe wrenches....

Rich
r_towle
ok,
I tried a BF pipe wrench on both side and I get nowhere.

Can I remove the side plate and look for some part number???

I am thinking, remove the axle stub, then remove the ten or so bolts there....Will I have a whole bunch of parts fall out or am I safe doing this?

Rich
Bleyseng
No, a whole bunch of parts won't fall out but alot of tranny fluid will if you don't drain it first!
It will be pretty obvious if its a stock unit of LSD if you then look.
Here is a stock unit pic of the diff.

Geoff
ChrisFoley
What you probably have is a welded diff. When you open it up you will see welding between the gears inside the diff. It should be bronze welded.
r_towle
Bleyseng,
So that piece comes out without removing the main shaft???

If so, I will remove and take a pic.

Thanx
Bleyseng
No, you have to remove the gear stack to remove the diff.

Geoff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.