Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stereo
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
OK...

Looking for ideas
where do you put speakers...

Right now I have them in the foot grills and I put a modified Sub woofer into the center catch all thing in front of the shifter...

Now I am thinking of a modified center console (Fiberglass) with a speaker aimed 45 degrees out each side, along with a custom back pad install of speakers and possibly stealing some space from the engine compartment in the center for the speakers backs...

Door speakers do me no good,,,I want to hear the tunes..

Rich
Bruce Allert
I made a center console specifically for these speakers. I also have 4" Blaupunkts in each door. Sounds great.

............b
machina
My speakers are in the dumpster out back.

dr
Andyrew
Two bass tubes up front right now.. Will make a fiberglass footrest thing to replace the foam one and put an 8in sub in there.

Stock grills being used.

Door panel being used.

Also I have 5 point harnesses and I will make fiberglass boxes to fit the area where the seatbelt mechanism went and put speakers in it.

I think thats enough...

Andrew
iamchappy
Try this link already started on the forum
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...t=ST&f=2&t=6779
Aaron Cox
andyrew....post a pic of your bass tubes please....
robby750
There is a sub and amp in this one. Do you see it?
seanery
I know where it is. (but I've seen it in person)
Aaron Cox
behind the drivers seat?
robby750
You are looking right at it.
Gint
robby750 Posted on Dec 21 2003, 10:16 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is a sub and amp in this one. Do you see it?  

What a tease. Come on now, show us your stuff.

OK now I see it. Nice. Details?
Andyrew
Pass foot area (took out foam thing?)?

Thats what it looks like.

I like the stealthness.. Sound nice?

Andrew
morph
We made a "sound solution" for much better sound, It is listed in the classifieds (there is pictures there and on e-bay). We are now having the fiberglass speaker holders made by a fiberglass company and they look really good, and there is no longer a waiting list. aktion035.gif
robby750
Right Andrew, I had the foam thing removed and a sub-box fabricated that just slides in. I have some Cerwin-Vega 4" X "6 speakers in the stock locations, and the amplifier is located inside the console. The sound is great!
roundboy914
Andrew,
What kind of leg room is left for the passanger after your installation?
robby750
I lost about 8 or 10 inches of leg room. I rarely sit on that side so I don't care, and if a passenger doesn't like it, they can always get out.
ppickerell
Robby,
Is your dash orginal? I am sick of my cracks.
Andyrew
The way I'll make mine, I will loose maybe 3 inches of leg room at max. I am not going to enclose the amp like Robby did, I am still deciding on where to put it.... (btw does not fit in the center thing..)

Andrew
robby750
The dash is original but, it is starting to develop cracks on the front side. sad.gif
mike_the_man
I looked at a 914 this summer. The owner had cut two big holes in the back pad and right through the fire wall, and mounted two 12" subs behind the seats. When he popped the engine cover, there were no enclosures around the speakers, just to two subs hanging out. He said that it sounded really good. I just shook my head. That's one thing not to do. I can't imagine that the heat in the engine bay would be good for the subs, and with no enclosures around them, I can't imagine them sounding very good. Anybody else seen anything like this?
Stitch
I put a 10 inch polk in for the sub in a fiber glass box with 400 watts to push it. The console continues back in glass also. The kicks are factory with 5/8 ply
then coated in glass, even the back side. ( a sealed box ) I lost no leg room. I also have some Focal tweets in my pilers, I'll post a pic shortly.
Stitch
Here is the pic of sub and kicks.
Stitch
Looking straight on the console with porsche molded into it.
I must tell before some tries this ,I moved my shifter backwards about 6 in.
check out the carbin fiber dash.
robby750
I must say, I am impressed. Looks good. smilie_pokal.gif
Gint
WOW! blink.gif
Bruce Allert
that installation certainly makes mine look puny cool.gif

nice job.
Now for the 64 thousand dollar question... how did you move the shifter back 6 inches?

..........b
Aaron Cox
shortened shift rod in the center tunnel?

hey stitch. how much would you charge to recover a dash in leather?
Eric_Shea
I put mine behind the firewall... 6 of them. smile.gif Music to my ears...
Stitch
In order to move the shifter back I had to cut the tunnel that holds the shifter assembly and then rewelded it back closer to the seats. Then I shortened the shifter rod length the same distanced as I moved the shifter assembly. While doing this you have to be careful not to cut the throttle cable like I did. Doing this allows me to shift into 4th gear without having to lean forward, It's great!

As to the question about putting the dash in leather, I would not recommend it. The reason is leather can dry out and shrink quickly in the sun . Costs for covering the dash in leather would be about $300.00. There are some very good vinyls I would reccomend instead of leather, they would cost about $200.00 and last longer in the sun.

Merry Christmas , Stitch.
Aaron Cox
thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.