Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil bath air cleaners
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pat Garvey
I used ti think that all oil batch air cleaners were held in place by a very long screw with a wing-nut thing brazed to the top. Knew of one very early 914 that had a simple, but very long screw (no wing nut), but have recently come across another '70 model & a '71 model that have a simple screw (albeit - long).

Were these "wingless" screws normal for the early cars?
Pat

Yeah, I'm allowed to be here tonight.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 27 2007, 06:48 PM) *

Were these "wingless" screws normal for the early cars?

dunno. when i bought my car, it had a 1.8L that was retrofitted with the original 1.7L D-Jet injection system, which could very well have been original to the car ('70).

the oilbathfilter had the long wingnut ...
bye1.gif Andy
1970 Neun vierzehn
Pat,
Der original ving nut, der threads kommen shtripped und I replaced it vit dis.
Der threads on der base ist sehr ghutt. I got dis schlotted one vehr I do not know, but it vas der perfect length und shkrew thread.

(Sorry Andy, for mangling the Fatherlands' tongue, but since both mom and dad were from the old country, I was allowed a little leeway in a strict household, i.e. "Ve vill do it dis vay, ja!") smilie_flagge6.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Aug 28 2007, 02:08 PM) *

Pat,
Der original ving nut, der threads kommen shtripped und I replaced it vit dis.
Der threads on der base ist sehr ghutt. I got dis schlotted one vehr I do not know, but it vas der perfect length und shkrew thread.

(Sorry Andy, for mangling the Fatherlands' tongue, but since both mom and dad were from the old country, I was allowed a little leeway in a strict household, i.e. "Ve vill do it dis vay, ja!") smilie_flagge6.gif

You know, I almost flunked German in my early days of college, but I know enough to know that even "ghutt" ain't correct! Oh, are we speaking phoenetic German? My mishtak! Or does that sound like something from "Mutts"?

Regardless, can it be assumed that all screws came with brazed wingnuts? Through all of the early years? I'm not so certain.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.