Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FireBall XR700 points conversion ignition
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JBart
I'm looking for some help on getting away from standard points and condenser.

Has anybody used or heard of anything GOOD or BAD about this unit Crane FireBall XR700 Points Conversion?

Thanks in advance,
jbart
Brando
SLITS has put a few in his teeners... I believe he's got at least 2 sets in a few cars at the moment. When i saw them and asked, his response was "They work." poke.gif

I believe they'll work with an MSD setup too...
JBart
I heard the same thing from Glen at PP about SLITS I'm just hoping he'll chime in and say a little more than just IT WORKS.....

Thanks,
jbart
markb
I've put them in a couple of mine and have had no problems at all. smile.gif
brant
mmmmmgoood... mkay...

SLITS
I've used them on race cars; I've used them on street cars since about 1980. Out of all of them I've used/installed I think I had one failure and that was on the car I built for Toast. Module seemed intermittment after 4 years installed.

On the race cars I triggered an MSD until we went crank fire.

Once set, I don't touch them. Some people find them a little tricky to install, but I don't think they read the instructions that well (or don't understand them).

Buy it from Jegs .... I think they're cheaper than anyone else.

Currently, I'm running points but I will get around to installing them on 3 cars. Need to fix other things first.

Oh, just in case, I carry an extra dizzy with points because of the one failure I experienced.

It's good shit!!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
a lot of gizmo for doing the same thing that the pertronix does. We sell them to eliminate the points in the 914-6 but sell the pertronix or compufire for the 914-4
SLITS
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 29 2007, 07:48 AM) *

a lot of gizmo for doing the same thing that the pertronix does. We sell them to eliminate the points in the 914-6 but sell the pertronix or compufire for the 914-4

No disrespect George,but the two you mentioned are pieces of shit compared to an LED triggered system ..... leave the key on to do anything without the motor running and the module burns out.

Spend twice the money and get something good ... 4 or 6 or 8 ... it doesn't matter.

Spend 5 times the money and get a Mallory.
Engman
I have had an Xr700 in the 914 for 9 years now. No issues.

The only real pain in the ass is mounting it properly inside the distributor.

M
URY914
I've been running one in my race car for +8 years. No problems at all.
Cap'n Krusty
I've used them since the mid-70s when my boss was doing the prototyping for Allison, waaaaay before Crane bought them. 2 failures in 30+ years, one at 10 years+ (and after I loaned the distributor to a friend for a track weekend), and one somebody else installed 2 days before. I replaced the "box" with a used one I had, and it's still going strong 8 years later. I sell a lot of them. The Cap'n
kart54
I've had them in my race and street cars for over ten years without a problem. Got convinced by my mechanic to put a pretronix in my street car a few years ago (street car is a Jensen Healey) , it ran terrible. Misfired and fouled plugs. As soon as I put the crane back in it ran great and has for more than 5 years now. Got a new mechanic instead of the pertronix.
Randy
JBart
Thanks to everybody for your input !!!!!!!

It sounds like the way to go so i'm going biggrin.gif I ordered one from PP and ordered the wrong one the first time not knowing I had a 009 Dizzy so I reordered and this time they sent me the wrong one . Hopefully the third one will be a charm.

Thanks Again,
jbart
Twystd1
Either throw that 009 dizzy in the trash.... or get it recurved to TYPE IV specs by someone who knows what they are doing and has a REAL distributor machine.

A Stock 009 has the worst curve possible for a TYPE IV engine.

Not enough advance. It comes in to late. Not enough initial. VERY innacurate.
Total piece of shit in my opinion... Unless it has been tweaked by someone that knows what they are doing. (VERY RARE INDEED)

Put a stock dizzy in your engine PLUS your Crane.
You will be a MUCH happier camper. I guarantee it.

NOTE: I assume you have carbs. You won't believe the difference in tuning your carbs when you toss that 009 into your ex mother in laws pool.. Makes setiing up the carbs MUCH easier. They respond very different with the right dizzy. REALLY.

If'n ya don't believe me. Ask how many Type IV RACE guys run a 009 dizzy. And they can have any dizzy they want. Why doesn't FAT, Jake Raby, The Illustrious Crusty, ME, and many others shy away from the 009?

BECAUSE THEY SUCK.

Thats just my opinion and experience. Your may be different.

Cheers,

Clayton

(They make great clocks)
alpha434
The 009 and the 025 or whatever dizzy are the same sizes and accept the same points.

Clayton, if I were to run carbs, would it be better to run the L-jet dizzy or the D-jet dizzy and why... Go.

Also, 1 out of 5 americans can't seem to find the United States on a globe. Why? Go...!
Twystd1
Lemme see if I can find my old dizzy graphs from a couple of years ago Then I can tell ya what i found on used but good quality factory bosch dizzys. Pulled right out of cars here in SoCal.

If I remember correctly, the LJet and Djet curves were dam near the same when I tossed em on a dizzy machine without new springs and NOTHING else done to them. The 76 2.0 litre dizzy had a different curve that any other I have curved. It took some tab bending and very different (SBC) springs to get it close to stock 73 2.0 specs. Must of been because of smog regs or something. Crusty would probably know off the top of his head.

A carbed engine kinda needs it's own curve. On some engine you can bring in initial timing very fast and the engine likes it. Some slower. Some engine like 28 - 30 total. Some like less. Some more. I have to check by the seat of my pants and playing with the curves. Occasionaly someone steps up for a dyno visit. Then ya tweak as ya go and see what works.

I think the ONLY one I know that has enough experience at different combos to even attempt to make a spread sheet would be Jake.

Even then. Just an exhaust change can change what curve works the best.

I used to think the 12/28 setup all in by 2800 - 3200 RPM dependent on setup was the hot ticket for a carbed car. Not anymore. the fucking humidity and ambient temps changes everything. So does summer gas VS winter gas. And on and on. Ya just have to find a balance of best case VS worst case and go with it for a street car.

I helped a guy install a SVDA vacuum dizzy in place of a stocker last weekend. Made zero more HP according to our butt dyno. Yet he picked up bout 9 miles per gallon on steady state highway cruising according to his e-mail today. Makes sense really.
I am at the coffee house. More Manyana, gotta look at the home PC.
I looked for that data last year for the same question you asked here. I couldn't find it. I will look again. In truth. it isn't really important. your combination will need a curve with a minimum and max advance that will be specific to your engine, elevation, gas, temps, gears, tire size, weight, size of girl friends tits etc......

Gimme a call tomorrow night. We shoot the shit.

CCC
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.